Matchday #20: Union v Timbers, July 11, 2015 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Jun 28, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: Union v. Timbers

Poll closed Jul 11, 2015.
  1. Win

23.1%
  2. Loss

46.2%
  3. Tie

30.8%
  1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our primary jersey clashes with all 3 of theirs.
    [​IMG]

2. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cheered every single goal, but still feel a bit empty seeing the standings and how our 1.1 PPG (finally over 1.0) is still 2nd worst in the league. It's maddening indeed.

3. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    2- no. They are who they are, a moderately talented team with zero depth or margin for error and without any FO infrastructure of note compared to successful MLS sides.

1- I'm not sure if teams play us soft at PPL or the travel grind has them make long view decisions past the Union match. The first DCU match Olsen played very conservatively. Seattle left the top attacking pair in MLS home. Timbers were missing 7 regulars and 3 starters. Regardless, you have to play the team that shows up. The difference for the U is when one starter is out, many questions come up. Will White or Vitoria line up in Toronto in place of Edu? Will Giovinco be able to play without giggles?

UnionDues, LuckyStriker and BuddhaWake repped this.
  4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't find navy clashing with their primary, especially since we are no longer in the colorless TV age.

5. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Call me a hipster but the drama of the DC Open Cup game was better.

Maidana now joint 2nd for assists in the league.

goindownsouth and jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet somehow we still seem to be in the thick of things for the playoffs. Can we make it to September and still be relevant? I think that's asking a lot with our lack of depth.

7. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They were wearing the green one with the yellow chevron.

8. Whosaidwhat11

Whosaidwhat11 Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if we add Barnetta and Nando gets healthy (I'm not sure which is less likely) and then maybe add that dittborn and I say we have pretty good depth.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hear this. Yet getting Vitoria, Lahoud and Nando back actually makes it appear that the Union have depth, or at the least they should have depth. Is this a team of world beaters? No, but it's not as terrible as we would like to think it is either. It just sucks it takes them half a season to get their collective shit together and actually start to play well. The one thing this team is really lacking is one or two grinder type players. Like a Rolfe or Arnaud, players whpo always seem to take their chances. DCU has a bunch of these and it shows in their ability to get points even when they don't play well. If the Union were able to turn the opener into a Win, and then hold on at SKC...........season looks a lot different.

We'll learn a lot about this team over the next two weeks with away matches at TFC and DCU. Both of these are winnable games or at least games where a draw can be had. If the Union can find a way to get 4 points out of the next two matches that would be HUGE.

Throw in Cup win at RBA.............might be asking for too much on that one though.

amusiccale and UdiHrant repped this.
  10. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fools gold. Other teams have games in hand still, gotta go by ppg until it evens out.

UnionDues and Handsome Pete repped this.
  11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is really unfortunate how we started the season. We basically took our fate out of our own hands immediately, and it will come down to how TFC, MTL, and NYCFC play things out. I think we can be pretty sure NYCFC won't be a threat, but TFC sits 1 point ahead, and MTL 1 point behind us, and both have FOUR games in hand. If they win 2 or 3 of those while we are idle and things get grim in a hurry.

I guess all we can ask at this point is for performances like this and HOPE for things to play out for us with other results.

ETA: The reasons I'm only focusing on TFC & MTL is because I just don't see RBNY, C-Bus, or OCSC doing so poorly down the stretch to pull us in. Although, given their current form NER would be the one we should be putting in our sights (we even have a game in-hand on them).

12. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The more I see our current away shirt, the more I am digging it.

13. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Andrea Pirlo waves hello

14. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sitting in The River End, I thought Wenger's goal was deflected in. Nope.
    [​IMG]

That was all curve. Thread the needle, Andrew. You couldn't have put a piece of paper between the ball and the Viking's head...and...net.

cwelch999, Doop, Tyr and 4 others repped this.
  15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP :D

But seriously...That Beard!!! That's a thing of beauty!
    Even the games in hand that TFC, NYCFC, MTL & CHI have on the Union.......the east is still a muddy playoff picture with basically every team still alive. The revs are slumping, but they went win less in what 11 games last season?? They still finished second. They get JJ back, and they can turn it around quickly.

For me it'll be DCU, TFC, RBNY, CBS, NYCFC, MTL in the east. Orlando is dreadful without Kaka, and even if they get Chicharito he won't be able to play until Sept with his injury. Plus Orlando struggles to win games at home surprisingly. The Union & Fire have dug themselves too deep of a hole, and the Fire just struggle to score. New England is in shambles without Jones, and this is his second surgery for that injury in the past 6 months.......I don't see him being 100% back this season. Sports Hernia's take a good amount of time to fully heal and recover from. I know it's a gamble picking MTL to get that last playoff spot given their awful road form, but they just have too much quality (injuries to Piatti and/or Ciman and all bets are off though). NYCFC have too much talent not to make the playoffs at this point. The additions of Iraola, Lampard Pirlo, and Angelino will help shore up some of their deficiencies.

Oh, and did I mention Borchers Beard!?!?!?! That thing is magnificent!

16. John Duxbury

John Duxbury New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Really cool video. Reminds me of the old days!

goindownsouth repped this.
  17. HazmatCorntail

May 28, 2010
    South 139
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The banner actually was introduced a few seasons ago, and was trotted back out for last night.

The chainsaw was going to be done a couple of seasons ago, but a scoreless game meant that the extra-long loaf of Bimbo didn't get sliced. Fortunately, the floodgates opened last night and it all came together.

cwelch999 repped this.
  18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The primary reason why I'm not a fan of it is that an all-white kit has been all-too-common for MLS teams. It's overly-used in this league and fails to give the Union any identity.

buzzkiller23, jmalex and goindownsouth repped this.
  19. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't it seem like jerseys always seem to grow on you? I hated that bomb bop shirt the national team wore in the world cup at first, but now its beloved to me.

TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly liked those more than the ones they now wear with clashing shades of blue.

21. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wholly agree. I would love to see something a little more individual and radiant from Union in that regard. Not likely at all.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  22. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, he doesn't fix any of their problems. They should have gotten another striker, a defensive mid, or more defensive help. For now, Pirlo is more a luxury than a significant improvement.

Starpork repped this.
  23. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I maintain that the U will set the league record for "worst team to ever make the playoffs" this year, and Nick Sak will use it to not make any major changes.

24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iraola waves hello, plus Watson-Siriboe is healthy now which allows Hernandez to go to the bench and Wingert to go back to LB. Not to mention a midfield with Pirlo, Mix and Lampard controlling possession will make the Defenses job that much easier. Lampard making trailing runs into the 18 from midfield? He's going to score goals.

25. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Moments of individual brilliance from Pirlo, Lampard, and Villa will score goals but I still don't know if NYC is a team.