PBP: Matchday 20: SEA vs ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Jul 13, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Seattle Sounders FC vs. Atlanta United
    CenturyLink Field - Seattle
    July 14 - 3:55(?!?) PM
    ESPN

ATLUTD.com preview here.
    AJC.com United page here.

Notwithstanding the trophy hauls for the Galaxy and DCU, the league's two "biggest" teams meet in their annual bi-coastal tilt when the Five Stripes visit Seattle on Sunday. Both teams still carry media cachet, though both are also muddling through the season as they fight to stay near the top of their respective conferences. Seattle has arguably the most complete team since their title winning year but they've limped through the Gold Cup portion of their schedule, losers in 4 of their last 6. But they remain undefeated at home and, like everyone else, are having stars return from international duty.

For Seattle it's all about quick movement and trying to be explosive in attack. Players like Cristian Roldan and Nicolas Lodeiro love to run (much like Miggy and Tito), and they've performed fairly well with either Jordan Morris or Raul Ruidiaz (their Josef) at the spearhead. They've been slightly more potent than Atlanta with the results, and if on their game can assail opponents from all parts of the pitch. Seattle's woes have been consistency and defense, where their traditional back 4 set-up has been susceptible to efficient ball movement and stray players coming in late from the wings. That plus Stefan Frei isn't quite the keeper he was 3 years ago.

Not that Atlanta's defense has been light's out of late. Thing improved measurably against Red Bull: New York (last 30 seconds excepted) and hopefully they'll be better still with LGP eligible once more. Plus we can be assured the team worked on their complete defensive set-up this week, with Coach de Boer emphasizing the need for the team as a whole to improve man-marking and trailing runners. Hence the effort we saw on display Wednesday against St. Louis. If Atlanta can play with comprehensive focus and effort they're as good as any team in MLS, but the mental lapses have been frequent enough that we've yet to see a complete 90 from this side.

Barco, Tito, and the others on the injury list remain there, though Roberson reports that Barco is traveling with the team this week if not actually dressing. Larentowicz has to sit due to his moment of stupidity last week, but Pity has offered a mea culpa for his comments and played well in mid-week so the main line-up issues will be game time fitness and how FdB wants to rotate ahead of next week's pair of matches. (Who made this f***ing schedule?!) MLS thinks Ambrose and Parkhurst will play but I'm not so sure. Shea didn't have to work THAT hard Wednesday night and Parkhurst tends to play better at home, so I would go differently on defense.

Not making a call on this one, yet, as I still want to dig into the stats. I do think a draw or win are possible, though.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this lineup.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    After this week's Argentine soap opera it will be interesting to see how Pity responds. I am guessing he has the break out game we have all been waiting for.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From your keyboard to God's screen.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pity on the right and Gressel in the middle, today.

4' and Shea goes down with possibly a bad knee injury.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    6' and Ruidiaz open in the box to receive a cross. Fortunately he shoots wide.

Parkhurst in for Shea.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    16' No team really taking charge yet. Both also slipping around on a newly laid turf.

Notice Meram had twice lost his mark in the defensive third. Result of the Parky-for-Shea switch?

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    22' sees Robinson picks up a stupid yellow.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hope that Brek's knee is okay. We have so many questions at LB and neither Parkhurst or Ambrose is the answer. IMHO, Brek Shea has been our best option and has filled in admirably and been rewarded with nothing but scorn from the fan base.

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Argh! Julian makes a juke on the corner of the goal box only to shoot at the tough angle instead of pass to Josef! Grrr.

Auriaprottu and VFish repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wonder what Bello will be like when he returns.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    28' and Guzan saves from 4 yds.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    31' and Robinson recovers to block Shipp from going 1v1 with Guzan.

Atlanta has had some fine attacks but is also showing lapses on defense.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Parkhurst caught deep keeping Shipp onside.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Our shape in the back looks poor on the turnovers even when we have time to regroup.

17. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think that's part of the issue with Pity. He goes inside so much, it's up to Escobar to provide the width forward. It leaves the right side open on turnovers.

VFish repped this.
  18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    41' and Parky earns a shiny yellow greeting card.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I've been working 24/7 so I didn't get to catch FbB's update on Bello's status. Given the tactics Parkhurst has to resort to at LB I hope Bello can get into game shape quickly.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Old and slow and on the wing... been there and done that.

21. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a 0-0 game at the half, it's been entertaining.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This looks more like a defensive drill than a match.

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HT: 0-0

Seattle arguably the better side on the whole but Atlanta has had their chances. Twice Gressel has opted for the shot over the pass that surely will have Josef frustrated. However Josef seems to be the one not making the right moves today in other stretches.

Twellman talking about how FdB should move Pity to middle. I agree, but at the start of the match he said how this would give Gressel the chance to get forward and he has done that.

I've come to think Robinson and LGP have a communication issue. Against better teams they struggle to account for all the marks.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    ?

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club: