Matchday 2, August 20, 2017: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In fairness, we didn't really have much possession until well later into the game.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I guess that header was the biggest concern for me.

3. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Souness says Chelsea were lucky, before the game he was bigging up Spurs. Well done to Conte he outsmarted Pots

4. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, they started leaving after the 2nd goal. Will post pics once I have wifi. I just don't want to leave!

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The xG map shows us ahead - basically we limited Spurs to pressure without good chances.

6. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So pleased with this. Luiz, Christensen and Cesar came up big time after time. Conte pushed Luiz into MF in the second half and it was huge.

Rudiger had a tough one but survived. Courtois made a big save on Kane after Rudiger was turned by him.

And Alonso - wow, just wow. I watched Fiorentina play numerous times and Alonso was a good player but I did not imagine this.

Bakayoko was rambunctious if not a tad reckless...Big win...

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They always say, good payers can learn a lot, even from games they don't play well in. Hopefully he'll have picked up some things to concentrate on.

TBF Kane's a decent player.
    'rambunctious', eh? THAT'S a word we don't hear often enough :)

legendofzola repped this.
  8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Basically we each hit a post and Morata missed a 9/10 header. All that possession is a meaningless stat.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Spurs had a lot more shots - not just possession. But the shots were from poor angles or blocked. Catenaccio!

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Rudiger isn't Sol Campbell, but against arguably the best center forward in the league, he was fine, especially in his second game in the league.

ArmanSLR repped this.
  11. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Gesundheit

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Haha, c'mon, this is our 4th Italian manager. Our second language!

13. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After Alonso's first, it didn't really feel in much doubt, did it? All the new boys looked promising, and I think Christensen deserves a lot of credit today too. Bring on Everton

Blueallthru repped this.
  14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  15. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Never so happy to be wrong. I thought after seeing Spurs play last week, we'd be in trouble, but the makeshift lineup performed well. I thought Luiz played well in the holding role, thought Christensen was very good...but I also think we were fortunate. Bakayoko make two sketchy fouls at the end there that could have cost us. I'm hoping that clutching and grabbing from behind is more fitness than habit.

Blueallthru repped this.
  16. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Highly embarrassing to be piping in fake atmosphere over the PA. Ouch.

Screenshot_20170820-145655.jpg

17. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  18. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We scored all the goals, we scored all the goals, we scored all the goals. . .:D

Sperz are a decent side. But we are the champions.
    Alonso eh? What a player. He is just enjoying himself. It is great to see it.
    A lot of good signs about the WAY we played. It was defensive - we are the away team after all - but we had control of the game. Willian ran all over the pitch non-stop. Each and every player did their bit. Morata is going to be great for us. Nice win.

19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Needs to be said that Christensen did quite well and I hope we keep him for a long time.

cokeyounut, Wrath, yasik19 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Christensen is our most stable defender after Azpi?. Just a fantastic start to his season. If he gets stuck on the bench behind Cahill, it would be a travesty. Well, maybe not a travesty, but the guy is just nails.

Love the work Willian put in. Love the game Morata played off the ball. Didn't love the porosity of our central midfield. Chewbaka can counter, but he needs time to understand his role yet. He'll get there. But 2 stupid penalties that could have cost us points if it weren't for Alonso magic. Moses a little less asleep this year. Not really caught watching the play like last year. Cautiously optimistic. He needs to contribute in the final 1/3.

I think Rudiger played fine. Jury still out on him. Again, cautiously optimistic.

Would rather have Tammy up top compared to Bats. I'm not quite as optimistic with Bats compared to most here. His game reminds me of Altidore's 5 years ago.

For a defense with little game experience playing together, they held shape well all day. Great to see.

cokeyounut and Rman3349 repped this.
  21. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Man, this one hurts

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's extremely harsh - Altidore had nowhere near the talent. Batshuayi's problem is that he's really a striker who thrives in a more countering style game, or a free flowing one. A game like Burnley is terrible for him, because he's asked to hold up the ball and play in tight spaces, which he's not good at.

Also, I watched the Utd. Swansea game - even when he had moments, Tammy didn't do much with them. He's not ready yet to be a backup for us.

23. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Harsh or not, I just don't share the optimism others have for him. And before the standard freak out begins. Understand, I'm very much rooting for the guy. Altidore is a trigger for us USA fans, so maybe I should have chosen a different player with similar style. I'm not inferring he is only as good as Jozy. Not at all. Just that the styles and mistakes and movement off the ball appear similar. And that's worrisome to me.

I actually liked what Tammy did in the manu/swan game. He stood out on a team horribly over-matched. Missed a couple opportunities I would have liked taken better, but I was surprised overall at his performance.

24. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    lol "had"

xamers repped this.
  25. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Morata was fine and will get better.
    Bakayoko was very good and will get better.
    Rudiger and Christensen were good, especially for not really playing games together.
    Luiz is big everywhere he plays.
    Az made a lot of errors, which was odd for him.
    Alonso was massive. Love seeing his naysayers shut up.

Happy with the three points in a big way. Looking forward to having a full squad to choose from.

Blueallthru repped this.