Matchday 2, August 18, 2019 Chelsea vs Leicester City

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But that just raises the question of why should it be someone from the continent. Why not someone like Eddie Howe who's done well at Bournemouth who are, after all... y'know, BOURNEMOUTH.

He has at least some experience in the league which, despite what some people seem to think, IS different to others... because the level of aggression allowed in tackles is higher as much as anything.

As I said elsewhere, Lamps has been brought in partly as a sop to the fans because he's expected to struggle because we've lost our best player, (who contributed both goals AND assists for us in the past few years), and can't bring in anyone to replace him... or anyone ELSE for that matter.

Personally I think he's sent the guys out and told them to have a go and try and grab an early goal and it hasn't worked out unfortunately. But, tbh, I VERY much doubt he told them to stay as forward as they did in the first game, in particular.

Also, I think people are rather forgetting that some of the guys are actually quite young and/or have just come into the side and that's why we've sometimes looked like we're going hell for leather. IOW I doubt that's a tactic. I suspect that's just the individual players losing the plot in the game. If you throw in a defender who looked decidedly dodgy in the first game, (I'm referring to Zouma, obviously), then you have a recipe for a poor showing.

So I don't know but I think talk of tactical mistakes, at THIS stage of the season, is overstated. Well... assuming it wasn't a tactic to score fewer goals than the opposition I guess :D

lobomojo and StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    1. That AVB did not succeed does not mean that other managers will not succeed. That is a strange argument. AVB was also not a great hire in large part because he was so unproven, as many said at the time. We largely hired him because of his Mourinho/Chelsea roots - another reason for my concern here!
    2. When you write the club took a gamble with a "known entity"......that makes no sense at all. Lampard is a known entity as a player. He is a completely unknown entity as a manager. He has one year as a manager in the Championship during which his side didn't particularly stand out despite being bolstered by loans from our club (which he wouldn't have gotten if he weren't......Frank Lampard). That statement is completely wrong.
    3. No one is suggesting that picking another manager would have "ensured success". That is a ridiculous strawman, and no one has made this argument. Hiring the combination of Brian Clough, Pep Guardiola and Steve Kerr wouldn't guarantee success. But it's all about the likelihood of success. The likelihood of a novice manager being successful is lower!
    4. The thing is, I don't want Lampard to fail. I want him to succeed! I'd absolutely love him to succeed. It would be great! But so far.....it's been less than great. (Anyone could have predicted going all out at United would have got us run off the park.....and it did.) But the club's process in hiring Lampard is terrible. It's the "hey - this guy is liked by fans, let's hire him!". But that's not how you should run a club! Who do you want to be right now - Liverpool, or United? United are making dumb moves left and right, part of which is hiring a club legend. Liverpool are making smart moves, part of which is hiring a manager who was never a great player and using data driven analysis to make good decisions. I understand that football is a game of passion, and that you can't run a club by spreadsheets alone. But the process that led to the Lampard decision was a bad one, and it smacks of the worst kind of nepotism in the English game. There is a long line of extremely mediocre English managers that keep getting jobs because they're part of that club, and this hire is redolent of that.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  3. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh, that is nice, I might even get to like you . . . maybe . . .Data driven analysis. Okay. Yep. Okay. I am totally down with the data.

Oh. Oh, Did you just really say that?

sigh.

4. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #129 Wrath, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    My known entity comment was related to him knowing the structure and people at the club. As such, I am hopeful that the club may afford him more leeway than other managers if there is progress. And I also said it was a bigger gamble or you know lesser likelihood of success. I get it. If the options were Pep and we had chosen Lampard, I would have been as livid as you. For me, with the other options out there, Lampard is a bigger risk but also a higher reward if he succeeds (club legend).

It is Friday. Why don't you kick back with a whiskey or something and relax? If at the end of the season, we are languishing in 10th place, I will join you in berating Lampard.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    1. He’s NOT a known entity as a manager. Stating that he knows the club is bizarre. It’s like hiring a waiter as your next chef because he knows the restaurant.
    2. Hiring a novice manager in the hope the club affords him more time is dumb. Why not hire a manager with a good record and then hope the club affords him more time? We have absolutely no idea if Lampard is a good manager. Why is that someone we should give extra time? That’s nuts.
    3. Your risk reward comment makes no sense because it assumes we couldn’t get a good manager otherwise (why?) and that Lampard offers a higher reward (he doesn’t).
    4. The process in hiring Lampard is still terrible. It’s pure nepotism. It’s not a surprise that no one has addressed this. When the reason that you’re hired is that you used to work at the club in a completely different capacity, that’s a sign of bad management.
    5. As for my personal life, :rolleyes: I spent this afternoon at a wine tasting. Perhaps it’s you who should have a drink.

6. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, I live in hope. You obviously have made up your mind that he will be a failure. I also have lower expectations I guess.

I am having my Hibiki whiskey. Cheers!

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    1. Eddie Howe isn’t a particularly good manager though. This is the same guy who pushed for Jetmaine Defoe on a multi-
    year deal at 32 and to sign Jordan Ibe for stupid money. He’s a handsome English guy who has Bournemouth playing at their level. England isn’t producing top level coaching candidates at the moment, sorry. I’m a Chelsea fan, not an England fan. There’s a reason all the top EPL managers are foreign while Ian Holloway is on television complaining about how we need Brexit to overturn the VAR rules.
    2. Lampard clearly told the players to stay forward in the first game. He said it was part of his philosophy to play attractive attacking football. Did we play a high line by accident?
    3. The Zouma point - you’re right, younger players will look dodgy. Of course, Zouma isn’t actually that young (he turns 25 in October!) and....oh yeah, Lampard just chose to sell Luiz!
    4. You’re right, Lampard is a sop to the fans. Are you saying you’re dumb enough to fall for that? Really?

If this was any manager other than Frank Lampard, we’d be questioning every part of this process!

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Living in hope instead of analyzing the issue is the equivalent of buying a lottery ticket. Which is what we’ve done by hiring Lampard.
    I hope he succeeds. I think the likelihood is he will not. I hope to be wrong.

9. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh, there have been tons of issues with the club. Kinda done analyzing because of the baffling decisions made after every title win. If it were up to me, Conte would still be here. Like I said, reduced expectations because eventually even if we are in a good place, they will find a way to screw up. Just enjoying the ride now.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    If you arent analyzing the issue, I agree, there’s no point to the debate.
    Enjoy the scotch.

Wrath repped this.
  11. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    did he? was it that simple? really.

Well, I questioned the appointment of david webb as our manager. That was a process. But, he actually did the job, made ready for Hoddle.

Can we just wait and see? The appointment of any manager with a transfer ban was never going to be an easy one.

I guess Big Phil - he had the pedigree - was more your cup of tea?

AND if Frank is a as rank as you suggest. I will eat the humble pie and apologise to you personally. Buy you a nice bottle of something.

Wrath repped this.
  12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Fellas...it's been 3 matches. I don't know how we can argue how good OR bad he's been. I'm not a statistician, but we're talking about an extremely small sample size.

lobomojo and Wrath repped this.
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er... WHAT??? :D

Dude, come on... Bournemouth's 'LEVEL' is playing in the 1st or 2nd division, i.e. about 2 leagues LOWER than where they are now which is where they were when he took them over as a manager. He's kept them in the league for the past 4-5 years which, itself, is an absolutely remarkable achievement.

The plain truth is that English managers will be successful at smaller clubs with less resources and will be spoken of as a future manager of a big club but are VERY unlikely to be offered a position. That's happens because, at some point, those club's performance will suffer because they simply can't compete with the tens of millions of pounds that the bigger clubs can offer for players and other staff/facilities.

When Wenger retired Howe became the longest serving league manager and the blunt truth is he could be there a thousand years, keeping them mid-table in the EPL, (because, y'know... it's BOURNEMOUTH!!!), and he STILL wouldn't get offered a job with a bigger club.

In truth, I have absolutely NO idea if someone like Howe could do a job for us. Maybe he's just a good manager of Bournemouth because of his association with the club as a player. But my point is, it doesn't matter. Even an extended period of relative success for Bournemouth, (which is NOT winning the EPL... it's staying IN the EPL), means next to nothing with the majority of owners being from abroad and a vast amount of money coming into the game from abroad.

The same thing might happen with Lampard. Again, I have absolutely no idea.

But let's kid ourselves that this is some sort of level playing field from which CFC hiring Lampard is some massive aberration that HAS never been seen and WILL never be seen again. EPL clubs are MORE than capable of bringing in people who have next to NO chance of being a success, (for all SORTS of reasons but which are usually associated with them coming into the league with preconceptions as to how the game is played here which turn out to be completely wrong), and who could just as easily have been a young English, (or British), manager.

They can ALL fail!!!

lobomojo and Wrath repped this.
  14. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    WTF! You complain about Lampard and then claim we should hire 'a young manager from the Continent & see what he can do!!!' Your hatred of Lampard is not very 'becoming'! And why the feck would Nino leave Wolves to come to Chelsea! I also ask you, what other options did we have exactly!??

15. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Eddie Howe 'not particularly good'!!!!! He is a feckin miracle worker!! He has taken a tiny provisional club and made them competitive in the world's toughest league!! We are talking feckin Bournemouth here! I bet even Guardiola couldn't do that! Do you know anything about English football?

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He obviously doesn't 'hate' Lampard. he just questions whether he's experienced enough for the team and whether he'll make tactical mistakes.

In truth, he might. I don't know.

I just think it's a bit early to be making any statements one way or the other.

17. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i just see a lot of people accusing other people of saying stuff they're not saying. and spending too much time doing it.

Yahtzee and Clan repped this.
  18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Given how much money they spend on players and salaries this is nonsense. Bournemouth aren't nearly as poor as you claim they are.

The rest of your post is basically "hey, anyone can fail". Which, sure, that's absolutely true. But that has nothing to do with my argument. That's the argument people use to justify buying lottery tickets.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I also question whether hiring Lampard shows whether or not we're using good judgment as a club (we're not). We know he'll make more tactical mistakes and that he's not experienced enough. Even his supporters admit that we need to "give him time", which is......an odd thing to say about the manager of Chelsea FC.

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    A young manager with experience, obviously. Nuno (not Nino) would leave Wolves because we're a bigger club and would pay him more (and because he currently works for a club that's basically operated by a super agent). What other options did we have - what other options did we look for?
    We're Chelsea - we couldn't have done better than a manager who spent one season at Derby as his sole managerial experience? Please. Our last two managers are now at Inter and Juventus. What other options indeed!

21. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    funny how many people who thought Sarri needed 2 or 3 years and a change of pretty much every league winning player on the team to show his brilliance, seem to think with a transfer ban that Lamp was defined by a week in the job.

A very viable question how a few years of mid-tier success as a manager with near zero elite club experiences compares to 600+ elite level match playing experience at the very highest level, under the best and brightest and some less so after growing up in the game with a Dad and Uncle being managers. It is far more about the unique man than a black and white set of criteria in top tier management.

And nobody who supports Lamp, or is open minded enough to give him the benefit of the doubt concedes or let alone knows he will make MORE tactical mistakes or lacks enough relevant experience compared to the straw-man de jour. I think his relevant experience combined with his intelligence and natural leadership and people skills is rare and beyond compare and will serve him and us well.

How much time he gets is more a rolling, how is he doing now, things looking hopeful or doomed and does he have the dressing room, rolling few weeks kinda thing at a Club like Chelsea.

Will he be the next Pep or the next Maradona as a manager, or where in between,will reveal itself over time not sure how long but am sure it will be longer than a week. After the holiday season we should have a better idea.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    So his "skills" are playing under good managers and being related to good managers? Is this.......serious? Imagine going to interview for a job as a lawyer and listing, on your application as relevant experience, that you've "worked for lawyers and your relatives were lawyers". You'd be laughed out of the room!

We have literally no basis to know any of that. He has had one year at Derby, where his team was....fine. They finished 6th in the league. Based on that we're you're asserting intelligence, natural leadership and people skills "beyond compare"? On the basis of what?

Anyway, you all can have the last word, this argument has run its course. Most of the arguments for Lampard on this thread have fundamentally failed to answer my criticism of his hiring (which is mostly about the club, not Lampard), which is fine. I hope he does an amazing job.

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well no not at all really...not remotely alike
    but if one has to compare apples to donkeys ...more like being a litigator who has tried and won 600+ elite cases in New York courthouse, with one year of successfully leading a firm in a rising mid-level firm applying to be head of an elite litigation firm vs a guy who has led a mid-level litigation firm in a small town who has never tried a case worth more than $10,000

[/QUOTE] We have literally no basis to know any of that. He has had one year at Derby, where his team was....fine. They finished 6th in the league. Based on that we're you're asserting intelligence, natural leadership and people skills "beyond compare"? On the basis of what? [/QUOTE]

on the basis of the 600+ elite games mostly successfully played, as a team leader, wherein my guess is some tactics were utilized he could observe and learn from, and where he could be observed by all for well over a decade....
    We have hired World Cup winners with decades of experience CL winners, some successful some not at all, really no black and white predictive criteria has proven itself, though funny that the only CL win came from an ex Chelsea player with little management experience.

[/QUOTE]Anyway, you all can have the last word, this argument has run its course. Most of the arguments for Lampard on this thread have fundamentally failed to answer my criticism of his hiring (which is mostly about the club, not Lampard), which is fine. I hope he does an amazing job.[/QUOTE]

hard to believe, but ok I will take the last word, only time will tell if the hiring was good, just as ridiculous to say it is guaranteed bad or guaranteed a home run at this point, the point is to give it some time

24. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nuno is a sh1t manager. He won't finish the season in charge at Wolves.

We fell out with Conte and Sarri left us to join Juve. Sarri wanted to leave.

We had a transfer ban. Not many of your beloved continental managers are going to take a job on without a budget.

The club has hired a lot of former players in important roles at the club recently. Something consistent in that policy.

So who would have been your ideal Chelsea manager?

25. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What you probably don't realise is that historically Wolves were one of the 'giants' of the English game, they are hardly 'small fry', I fail to see why Santos would leave Wolves where he is revered to come to Chelsea, where there is a transfer ban.