Matchday 2, August 18, 2019 Chelsea vs Leicester City

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    by competition:

upload_2019-8-22_10-13-1.png

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    CHO has scored zero goals in the league. And that’s how he made himself a starter? Right.

3. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I agree with most of what you posted, but I haven't claimed people have anointed Mount as the savior. My argument has simply been that he hasn't played all that well. The press certainly has the wind up his tail - there's talk of an England call up for him. He's nowhere near ready for that. But then, that's typical.

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    The bolded part of this post is what I find so frustrating about this debate. My point of "these players aren't that good yet" is met with, occasionally frothing rage because I refuse to admit their.....greatness? Even though, as I point out, CHO has not yet even scored a single goal in the league. But, he's a "baller". Oh, well then. Bayern offered 40 mil for him - OK, sure - but all that means is that he has a lot of upside. Which we know! But that's not the same thing as production today. We paid 70 mil for Pulisic - does that mean he's twice as good right now?

I do agree with you though, this board can occasionally get god.damn.tiresome.

Wrath repped this.
  5. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tiresome? Yep. The continued Negativity from some Chelsea fans is particularly irksome. We all knew what season we were going to get as we were forced to play the youngsters, we had a new manager and there was the transfer ban hanging over us. Yet we have started playing brightly and creatively. We are only two games in and the season is looking exciting for us. . . well, some of us anyways :)

lobomojo and Crawleybus repped this.
  6. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Good reminder of why you’re an idiot, never argue anything in good and faith and why you’re on ignore.

Cheers.

Excited for what our returning mediocre players have in store for us.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Shocking the amount of money people pay me despite that. Imagine how well my career might have gone if I was at all smart!

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Ahh, good ol' Cloughie, he certainly did have a knack for a quote.
    I always especially liked his quote to the reporter that asked him if he though he was the best manager in the land (after winning a title and European Cup) and he replied..."well, maybe not the best...But I'm certainly in the top one"

Anyway.

I do hate to ripple the waters with stones but Lampard was shown for the novice he is and it was tactics that buggered the legs of the lads in the final third of the game, starting out all bulldogish like that.

And, conversely, it was lack of tactics that allowed Leicester back in the game, the most glaring of which was his failure to recognize the damage Maddison was doing.
    Also, failing to see the lads were knackered and yet still having Kante and Jorgi ply their trade up field.

Just saying...

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Tactics may matter? Perish the thought.

10. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jose, Conte and Sarri all got annihilated tactically at times. Leiciester also don't suck. I'll give it a month or two before I start thinking Lamps is out of his depth or calling him a novice (well.. I guess he is one but I won't say it disparagingly!!!) over this after a sensationally played game against Liverpool in midweek. He isn't an idiot.. he's one of the smartest players to have played the game and nothing you're saying would be revelatory to him.

You also aren't rippling any water. What is everyone smoking in here that they think they're making some grand point in standing against something no one ever said.

I need a massage.

StamfordBridgeLions and lobomojo repped this.
  11. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Brian Clough was extremely tactical. Shame that you do not know who is. . .

12. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Brian Clough is one of, if not THE greatest managers in the history of the game, to suggest he didn't know 'tactics' is daft, as for Lampard don't you think he needs a bit of time? He has only been a Premier League manager for two games! He may only be a novice but he certainly has potential & exactly the same can be said of a lot of the team! Of course potential doesn't always come through but the lack of patience at Chelsea Football Club is astounding! I expect us to struggle a bit until Christmas but I do hope that its an ever improving story. If things aren't better by midway through NEXT season then perhaps its time to talk about the players & managers in-abilities.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    1. As I’ve said before, you’ve all convinced me. Let’s hire Clough. Wait, what? We can’t? Then why are we talking about him?
    2. Why in the world did we hire Lampard if we all agree “he needs a bit of time”??? We’re Chelsea, not a club where you go to learn about this top level management thing! I’ve been saying this for months - if Lampard was anyone else, we would NEVER have hired him. The process that led us to hiring him (and United to hiring Ole) was bad, even if I obviously hope he proves me wrong.
    Just imagine if your company hired a legendary factory worker to be a CFO after he spent a year in the accounting department. You’d be livid! That’s what we’ve just done.

Wrath and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  14. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree with your general premise that Lampard needs time. But what other option did the club have? All the really good managers already are at excellent clubs or have been sacked by us. Our transfer ban also would put off a lot of managers. Rather than luring another manager with a huge pay and potentially resulting in another compensation, the club decided to try someone who has potential, is intelligent and is a dedicated worker. Maybe they finally realized their hiring/firing strategy is not sustainable and they are playing a long term game here.

If Lampard crashes and burns, fine (which I don't think he will). This season was going to be a wash anyways but at least youth are given a chance and we are in a better position to judge who to retain/sell at the end of the season. Lampard won't need a huge payout like the other managers as well. We are giving Lampard all the pieces to succeed with even an open dialogue with the board that none of the others had. If he makes good use of the current backing and shows signs of progress, it will be a win for all. Let's see how the season progresses. It hasn't been a perfect start but it also hasn't been all bad. To be honest, if we didn't have the transfer ban, I don't think we would have hired Lampard so soon.

JimWharton and lobomojo repped this.
  15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Somebody said Lampard was out of his depth?

Why didn't I get that memo.....

nicephoras repped this.
  16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Guess you didn't get the memo either...:)

nicephoras repped this.
  17. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ok papi, you didn’t use those exact words (which also doesn’t change how dumb the level of straw man’ing that went on in your post was)... you said “exposed for the novice that he is” which is pretty harsh criticism.

18. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Unfortunately, it was completely accurate as well.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get across here....er....papi...

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    What other option did we have? Why not hire a young manager from the continent and see what he can do with our squad! We pay a lot of money - lots of managers would take this gig. How about Nuno from Wolves? Or the RB Leipzig manager? We’re in the CL with a good squad - the notion that we can’t find anyone is preposterous.

Clan repped this.
  20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Let’s be honest Clan - once you start being a real fan and stop being negative, things will go better for you. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    But he...is? Lampard has just one year of management experience. He is literally the definition of a novice.

22. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Acting like Lampard got exposed for being an amateur by succumbing to a 1-1 draw with Leicester is.. jumping the gun. Sorry that this has been difficult for you to interpret.

The other point was that no one seems to have claimed Lampard is a master tactician which was your original inference when apologizing for the "ripping the whatvers" lord of the rings speak.

lobomojo repped this.
  23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Jumping the gun is suggesting that Lampard can't improve from a poor showing at Leicester tactically.
    Suggesting that Lampard was naive tactically in the last game isn't jumping the gun, it's what happened.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  24. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The reason that Clough was brought into the debate is that he was extremely brilliant English manager - a tactical genius in fact - and a lot of the negative bullshit that you spout is centered around your hatred of English managers and English players. I truly wonder why you even bother supporting an English team. . . .

Ho-Hum.

Sigh.

lobomojo repped this.
  25. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Like how AVB was successful? Sure, young managers might have come for money which the club didn't want to pay. The club took a gamble with a known entity thinking long term.

Picking Nuno or whoever would have been a lesser gamble maybe but it wouldn't have ensured success. If Lampard is an abject failure, feel free to come back and show us your wisdom. For now, I am being optimistic.

Yahtzee and lobomojo repped this.