PBP: Matchday 2: A02.Norway-Nigeria

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 8, 2019.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When Oparanozie was subbed out, Ordega passed from Right-Side to Left-Side: she always looks like she could be dangerous with her crosses, but in the end it amounts to nothing. :coffee:

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The way Graham Hansen can beat a whole team alone with her dribbling is amazing! :eek:

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes. UVa is the University of Virginia. If you don't know American acronyms... I'd say you're fluent enough.

The avatar is the "hammer and sickle" flag the rebelling animals adopt in Animal Farm. I adopted it, as you know, before Trump's ascention, but mostly I like it because it is Stark and shows up well in a small a avatar.

blissett repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now I distinctly remember having asked you that 4 years ago already and having complimented you for your choice as well: I do it again! :)

Val1 repped this.
  5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Boe Risa subbed out of the game at the 84th minute.

I used to love that moment: coming out of the game when you knew you had done what you set out to do -- win the game.

blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oshoala can do wondeful things and silly things in a same game, often in a same action! :x3:

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Commanded space and demanded the ball. And shot wide wide right. As you say, the good and the ugly in the same move.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well... Norway showed me enough to be truly excited for their matchup vs the French.

jnielsen, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT 3-0.

Group A:
    3+4 (+4=0) France
    3+3 (+3=0) Norway
    0-3 (=0-3) Nigeria
    0-4 (=0-4) South Korea

10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Nigeria should be fortunate it ended 3-0. They have to improve their D vs. South Korea if they want a win.

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FT 3-0.

Not really much happening in second half. Norway looked solid and no-nonsense. Nigeria looked anything but solid, but they can still have some remote hope to qualify if they beat South Korea and don't lose too much badly vs France (although the defense we've seen today from them is something France could feast on).

Four games played so far at the WWC and we're at Europe-Rest of the World 4-0. :coffee:

lil_one repped this.
  12. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Norway looks ready for this competition. It’s a little thing, but when you see teams celebrate goals together, you get a sense for their solidarity. Nigeria seemed broken by the first half. If they beat South Korea and steal a draw from France, they could go through. It’s too early to quit.

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not having Hegerberg is actually better for Norway. There seems to be more of a team spirit about them without her. Kind of like Sweden without Zlatan at the men's WC.

14. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    Fox Sports interviewed Ada H. She did not need a translator...It was first time I ever saw her being interviewed...

Alexi Lalas and Heather O'Reilly both expressed frustration with Ada...They were in a panel...

They both thought that Ada should explain in detail what she wants from the federation...They thought that Ada is not helping the team by being vague about her demands...

15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I haven't thought about it that way before with the many highs and lows, but you're right. It's better to sing it in a stadium with many others instead of solo, so nobody will notice if you hit a false tone. :D

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA official highlights of the match:

17. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    #42 AndyHE, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    AFAIK the last Norwegian player to need a translator was Hege Riise back in 1991, and that was not because she didn't know English, but because she wasn't comfortable speaking to the journalists (Even Pellerud translated for her). Ada speaks Norwegian, English, German and French and has been in front of cameras since she was like 15 so I think she's well set there.

As for being vague, Ada has been quite clear for some years now (even before she actually withdrew from the NT), people have just not been listening.

Here's her most recent interview: http://josimarfootball.com/miss-selfishness/

soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember reading something a couple of months back which referenced the conflict being a few years old.