Matchday #19: Union v Impact, June 27, 2015 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Jun 17, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: Union v Impact

Poll closed Jun 27, 2015.
  1. Win

41.7%
  2. Loss

37.5%
  3. Tie

20.8%
  1. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I'd rather the team win more than they lose for starters. They can kiss the badge in last place all they want...you don't get an extra point for crying or caring more. These guys are supposed to be professionals not the special Olympics or 12 year old girls....

Ayuk made a stupid play and crying doesn't make up for it IMO!

2. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are tough. The young man is EIGHTEEN (18) years old, he walked onto this team in Florida and I'm sure we're paying him minimum MLS wages. He never stops moving, his goal last night was a stunner and he rose up and headed his other goal over a guy who was 6 inches taller than him. The mistakes he made in the last two matches will go away with time. The moves he has, his speed and desire are priceless and we haven't had any of that with our high priced so-called DPs. Somebody here name one other Union player at any age that has more promise than Ayuk has shown so far. Man you guys are tough.

amusiccale, drn99 and Tyr repped this.
  3. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently? Or should we list all of the young guys we've overhyped before?

I like Ayuk, but I'm not ready to start doing flips over him just yet.

Did you see what I did there?

LINETRASH, Handsome Pete and ScottyMac26 repped this.
  4. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He's not over hyped, he's the exact opposite of hyped. He's a total unknown. This pic after the red says alot, sitting in the tunnel, watching. IMG_20150628_210523.jpg

5. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Ayuk the most promising player the Union have ever had? No, I think you'd have to put Pfeffer, Jack But it's good that he's getting the chance to develop quickly. Hopefully he develops more. He's got talent, he's got a long way to go, etc etc.

But let's not get out of our heads here. If I had to choose, I would definitely prefer having Mo, since he's a much better player and has proved it at a pretty high level. He's also been the Union's best player over the full season. Maybe that tells you something about how bad the union are, but there you have it.

LINETRASH repped this.
  6. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edu would have been showered and catching a ride on Uber to the nearest Chipotle by then.

TonyClarkDOOP, etsjay, Amscray and 4 others repped this.
  7. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Overhyped, or ruined?

8. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look I love Pfeffer and yea, he's probably a more solid bet to stick as a pro but they are very different types of players with Pfeffer showing a lot of poise and soccer-brain for his age and Ayuk more athleticism and raw skill. I'm thrilled to have both.

I'm not trying to flame out here but I just can't see throwing the 'retarded' and 'girl' comments at an 18 year old who's playing his heart out.

9. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Agreed with all but the promise part. Mwanga was all promise all time.

10. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rage. I feel it........and in many cases I'm sad to say I thrive on it...........

The difference- I think - between us is my feeling that yours is misplaced.

Others have tried to get your consideration as to the possibility that crushing kids who for the most part are all that give this wreck a pulse "might" be just a tad shortsighted. Some might wish to defend those for whom the lack of accountability given their previous accomplishments elsewhere strikes me as scandalous-but to each his own.

11. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    [​IMG]

12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #87 thomas19064, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Was out of town for a wedding this weekend, playing catchup on what happened in the game now... good enough I guess?

13. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You were able to get weeding done in that storm?

Doop repped this.
  14. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta stop posting from my tablet, the autocorrect is hilarious

15. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re-read my post. I said IF they are going to be in last place, I'd rather see guys like Ayuk play with some heart than guys like Mo being apathetic. It's frustrating enough to watch my team play like shit and lose all the time, I really do not want to have to see the players on the field play like they don't care they suck. We get enough not caring from the ownership. Your thought process that the "skill" players are the key to success hasn't really worked out so well for the Union this season (or any season so far). If we were actually winning, I would be way less annoyed at the lack of apathy on the field, but then again, that apathy probably wouldn't even exist.

And yeah they are supposed to be professionals, but that doesn't mean that they can't be emotionally invested in what they are doing.

And after reading on a little bit in the thread, don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for Mo to get benched or really saying Ayuk deserves to start over him or anything, I just admire and appreciate that he cares, while also being annoyed at Edu's apathy.

+1 to this.

Doop repped this.
  16. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Ayuk and I'd like to think he has a future at this club. He certainly is one of the players that makes going to the games worth it. I also appreciate his commitment. But getting yourself tossed and then crying afterwards doesn't help this team earn three points. He needs to be more disciplined.

17. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has so little experience, so hopefully he will learn from this. It's hard to fake emotion like that, so he clearly cares about winning and he knows he can't help his team do that if he's not on the field. He has to learn to channel his passion, and for all his faults, Curtin seems like the kind of manager that can help Ayuk in this regard.

18. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Ayuk gets praised for caring but I'm a mutt? :lol:

I have nothing against Ayuk, my problem is we keep taking these small consolations and hanging them up on our fridge like they're special...

19. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you Stephen Vitoria in disguise?

gettysburg11, Phillyspur and Doop repped this.
  20. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love all this "discipline" talk when it was a damn monsoon out there. I'm amazed we didn't get the large ponding that has happened in the past. I saw a poor girl get knocked flat on her duff from the water coming down the drain spouts at the Dogfish Head deck when the wind changed direction. They don't flood the practice fields and practice these conditions, so why expect perfect precision when it does happen?

Starpork repped this.
  21. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly enough our 2 goals both came during the heaviest downpours.

22. jerseysob

jerseysob Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

it seems that PPL has most of its drainage issues when the tide is coming in. when i got to the parking lot i noticed the tide was going out. by the angle of the rain hitting the ground it looked like the wind was gusting above 50mph. either way, that much rain can screw anything up.

23. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rain makes you go in studs up on a player when already on a yellow? It's a stupid play...what's wrong with calling it that? I'm sure Ayuk would say it was stupid too...I don't understand the thinking by some, to treat these guys like special needs kids who are trying their best. They're professionals and it's time stop making excuses for them...we are a below mediocre team in a mediocre league, no one on this team should be excused, that's Noguiera, Maidana, Edu, etc...their performances on the most part aren't good enough and I would have no problem dealing any of them.

Amscray and UnionDues repped this.
  24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That's true because it backs up into the outflow pipes.
    [​IMG]

25. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I had any photo skills.... I would put Sak head on the guy and the Union logo on the plunger. But I don't so Ill just put my idea out there

Union42 repped this.