Matchday #18: Union v Sounders, June 24, 2015 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Jun 17, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: Union v. Sounders

Poll closed Jun 24, 2015.
  1. Win

19.2%
  2. Loss

69.2%
  3. Tie

11.5%
  1. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the first PK the Union missed? I know Marfan had one saved, but we got the rebound. I thought the game kinda sucked. Really flat atmosphere, but at least they were able to beat a weakened team.

2. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankfully the Sapong suspension wasn't any longer. Or we'd really be f*cked.

3. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit where credit is due: I'm glad the U made me eat my words and won the game.

That's all they're getting from me, though.

4. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    saw Drew Carey on the field post game. I asked him to please buy our team. he just laughed. I said really, they are ********ing broke. buy us, please. he just laughed more :(

djramone, Ascalz, Doop and 10 others repped this.
  5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they were going to go with 5 in the back ... Gaddis-Fabinho-Marquez-Edu-Williams ... didn't look that way, though.

Oh, and the Jimmy Ockford Fanclub (i.e. family and friends) were in the 2 rows right in front of the box I sat in last night. His parents were interviewed by some annoyingly bubbly Sounders videographer near the start of the second half, and for some reason they had creepy Clint Dempsey masks. Every time Ockford so much as sniffed the ball, they'd all cheer and carry on. When Sapong scored, we were yelling that CJ was Ockford's man ... needless to say, we didn't make many friends last night.

I wonder if those turncoats were Union fans before the Sounders drafted Jimmy ...

Starpork, Amscray and slitz repped this.
  6. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ayuk was IT last night. Was great to watch him turn the game around and make things happen. Without him it probably would have ended 0-0. Did not make many games this year but was happy to be at this one!

7. hallam

hallam Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did good but I saw Ayuk giving away a lot of balls when we were trying to kill off the game.

Ascalz, jaykoz3, Phillyspur and 2 others repped this.
  8. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my thoughts exactly... game was flat... but at least we won.

billf and celt1997 repped this.
  9. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was one play at the end of the game where Ayuk was asked to take the ball to the corner. He played a surprising ball to Nogs and it was given away. His energy definitely helped, but he does lack a bit of discipline.

10. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blame it on the optimism of youth

11. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If the comments here are any barometer, the FO really needs to start worrying now. Even after a much-needed win, apathy rules.

There was a bit more intensity and hustle from the team overall, but still less than the other team offered. Any Union player on the ball is swarmed by 2 or 3 green shirts, while we don't seem to press until they are well into our half.

Edu petulantly took that PK to compensate for the goal he had just been denied. I knew he would miss. He mustn't take another.

Good game from the Candyman, we don't have anyone better than him providing service into the box. It was the only time we looked dangerous, in that short period around the goal. He put in some key defensive tackles too.

Wenger a waste of a starting spot, again. Get well soon, Seba. Pfeffer did OK. Nogueira worked his nuts off and is getting more physical. CJ took his lumps as usual and is first name on the team sheet now.

I would have loved the baldy Brazilian combo play to have come off - delightful ball from Fabinho into Fred who took just too long to get it onto his right.

Oh, and I swear the concession guy just pocketed the 20 I handed over, for my beer and sandwich. Good luck to him.

billf repped this.
  12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my friend witnessed that! He came back with his beer saying he watched a guy blatantly pocket someone's money when they paid with cash.

13. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apathy really sums up the night.

The crowd was light as well though they announced over 18k. It did fill up after the kickoff. Now that I know people had a hard time getting there, I understand the late arrivals. I am guessing the storm had an affect on the no shows also.

The thing is, this team isn't doing it for me. I wondered a few times last night why I bother to pay for season tickets. I also wondered if this is a team that could compete in the NASL because they are just bad. I just don't expect anything and aside from Pfeffer and maybe Silvetre, there really isn't anyone young getting minutes who looks like he could really do something in this league. I'd like to put Ayuk there, but I don't see that being long term because he's so erratic. There just isn't anything to look forward to.

Doop, gettysburg11 and Phillyspur repped this.
  14. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was a guy came up and told me as I was walking away, but I didn't care. I'd gotten my food.

15. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point "I like soccer and I am from Philadelphia so I will support a soccer team from Philadelphia" just doesn't cut it anymore.

I've liked a lot of losing teams in my life, teams that I was still passionate about. I'm not sure I feel that with the Union.

Doop, UnionDues, Tyr and 6 others repped this.
  16. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. I watched almost every Sixers game from '95 through '01. There is something beautiful about watching a team claw their way from the bottom to the top. But it's so much different when you can draft an Iverson. There is always a glimmer of hope. Players being locked into their draft destinations in a closed loop is so much different than the global soccer market. And we're the day traders betting on penny stocks that came over the fax.

Doop, Handsome Pete and billf repped this.
  17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are day traders who wouldn't last too long too...

18. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger made his play of the year last night by getting kicked in the face. Earn that PK, son. How bad is his mojo, though, seriously. I think the soccer gods didn't let that PK in simply because Wenger earned it.

I got a good chuckle out of him letting the ball fall out of the end line for no reason right before he got subbed off for Ayuk. The replay on TV doesn't look nearly as egregious as it did in person. It was a laughable effort.

19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Mainly because it was a 1-0 victory against a team that was missing all 3 DPs, had one player on the backline that is considered a starter, one player making his first MLS appearance, and another that had played 4 minutes prior to his first start. Last night shouldn't have been as hard as it was considering SJ handled a similar Seattle tame 2-0 in Seattle.

UnionDues and Handsome Pete repped this.
  20. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He started out strong but it has to be pointed out. Ayuk was absolutely brutal the last 10 minutes of the game. I mean f'ing brutal. For a whole 10 minutes he only made negative contributions to the game. Give aways, bad decisions, poor touches, horrible defense, etc. It was amazing to watch. It makes me question whether he should be subbed into the game when we are trying to hold the lead.

21. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah that was awful

22. Brinker

Brinker Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Paoli, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how people see different things. I thought Ayuk had a poor game. He is quick and talented for sure, but gave the ball up a ton. All that one on one BS in the defensive and middle third while up a goal was terrible. Someone teach that kid how to take the ball down into the corners to kill off a game!

23. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Curtin was within 15 yards of him pointing towards the corner and Ayuk still goofed up.

24. Brinker

Brinker Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Paoli, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is my best argument for keeping Curtin. He knows the game and is trying to get his players to play the right way. Give him more talented players, and I think he would do well. Spend the money, if there is any, on some players who know how to play and can be creative in the offensive third.

25. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red text?

UnionDues, Tyr, LuckyStriker and 3 others repped this.