Matchday 18: ATL vs PTL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Jun 23, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United vs. Portland Timbers
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium — Atlanta
    June 24 — 4:30 pm ET
    Fox!

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com 3 Questions here.

Fox will be looking for a World Cup bump as they roll out this match on the main network right after Poland vs Colombia, so hopefully the boys (and the crowd) live up to the hype! This could be tough as we're all left reeling from the midweek shambolic display against Chicago, or it could prove therapeutic as everyone looks to quickly move past that and resume the more important quest for an MLS Cup.

Portland comes in having gone unbeaten in their last 8 matches, having adapted to new coach Savarese and restored their offensive balance. Diego Valeri continues to steer their attack, meshing well with Chara, Blanco and Adi as a side that doesn't excel at one thing but does everything well. Though not considered as quick as Atlanta they will play a similar style of attacking with width and look to strike on the counter, though their push in the final third will typically begin deeper.

Atlanta continues to miss Garza and McCann through injury but Martinez is expected to play as he dons a mask to protect his broken schnoz. To no one's surprise the "full" A side should line up Sunday as Coach Martino seeks to reestablish the aggressive form missing from midweek. The big question will be whether or not Tito makes the starting XI or if a 4th defender like Ambrose makes the cut. Either way, expect Atlanta to push the game so as to keep Portland on their heels and to see if their offensive speedsters can rediscover their scoring form.

I'd feel much better if we were coming off a win, but I still think the return of the normal Benz atmosphere rejuvenates the side. 2-1 to the good.

2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this one of the full capacity games (72,000+)?

3. Mendel

Mendel Member

Atlanta
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    I'd like to see Atlanta revert back to the 3-man back line. I think they've played much tighter defensively. Maybe it is a function of better communication. 3-5-2 or maybe a 3-4-2-1. Or do something completely unexpected and go with a 3-2-5 very old-school formation. Let's see how well Portland can handle a big surprise.

I'm just glad that Argentina didn't include our players for their World Cup team. Their mistake, I think.