Matchday 17: #savethecrew vs ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Jun 13, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Columbus Crew SC vs. Atlanta United FC
    MAPFRE Stadium — Columbus
    June 13 - 7:30 pm ET
    One of the local Fox networks

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC preview here and 3 Questions here.

Nothing fancy today due to time constraints, but it's an easy script. 1 vs 3 in the east, a Crew team handling their behind-the-scenes drama very well, Atlanta coming off a grueling and at time frightful draw at Yankee Stadium, Almiron questionable...

Columbus has looked solid if not comprehensive as they've stayed near the top of the tables all season thus far. Offensively they run through Higuain and Zardes (2.0 version), defensively they're a near wall with Zach Steffen, who returns following his resolute display in the US draw at France. Columbus will look to force Atlanta to slow down and build from the back, counting on enough attacks breaking down that they can cause turnovers and keep Atlanta second guessing. They'll also hound Josef Martinez and Barco through multiple players hoping those guys run out of position and leave gaps they can exploit in transition.

Almiron is still listed as a game time decision, and while Villalba is back no word yet on whether or not he's capable of starting or simply coming off the bench. The bad news is the team looked ragged on Saturday. The good news is they've yet to play two such bad games in a row. Higuain isn't David Villa, but he can still hurt you in similar ways so defensively Atlanta can't give up cheap fouls around the box. (I'm looking at you, LGP!)

I suspect another cagey draw is in the cards, which would be fine with me considering the circumstances. 2-2

2. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    My guess, completely without access or any real insight, would be that Almiron starts on the bench. If a result looks promising he stays there.

My prediction is that we'll see him. C'bus has been stingy of late and without our talisman to make the space and create the opportunities I think we struggle. I'd be very happy with a point out of this match

3. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Already wrong. Almiron gets the start. Back in to the 4-2-3-1 we saw a bunch of last year

4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Beauty goal by Josef. headed home from a Barco corner. Martinez had to be concussed on that play. nasty head to head contact.

To be fair that goal was against the run of play but certainly beautifully taken

5. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Lively sequence there. Guzan with an incredible save where Zardes was possibly offside. Harrison then takes out the legs of Barco from behind. Very cynical but no card.

We're looking a little more lively and I've been impressed with Barco's overall work rate. Still, I think Columbus has looked the better of the two teams and if it wasnt for their dodgy finishing tonight we'd be in a heap of trouble

6. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Don't think the center mids had a good game. Jeff was invisible to my eyes except when he looked slow chasing the breaks back. Nagbe's worst game in a while, too many misplaced passes and dispossessed a few times. Hopefully they get rested during the Open Cup game, Jeff definitely needs it.

I don't think Escobar is a right back. He keeps drifting inside leaving the flank exposed. Columbus almost caught him with a beautiful cross field pass.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree that Escobar and Nagbe had poor games. Franco is a in the mold of Garza, as in they're better in transition than defending, only Garza is far better as an attacking player.

I thought Jeff played decently and for most of the game Higuain was held in check. Create attack had its moments but only threatened on a handful of chances, almost all of which came from someone other than the Argentine. (Side note: Due to the Crew situation I feel badly for him, a guy who's been there a spell and deserves a tribute game or some nice send off when he retires.) Other mids were about average (for them) last night.

Guzan with a 2nd excellent game in a row. Parkhurst better than Saturday and LGP with a solid performance.

On the whole I think it was a deserved win but not comprehensive. Both teams looked gassed, Atlanta just took their chances.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I don’t care about the Crew. I’ve met some great Crew fans and I hate it for them, but the most obnoxious fans I’ve met have been mostly Crew fans. More, if the Crew have whole sections of their small stadium they can’t fill, how are they making any argument they should still be in the league? Seems like they belong in the USL right now.

9. Mendel

Mendel Member

Atlanta
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    Tougher match than I expected. I need to watch this one again, but Atlanta did seem more determined to play the ball out of the back. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with the 4 man back. Guzan can clear the ball long, but that always seems to miss, especially lately. The play from the back philosophy was the one Atlanta started with last year.

Another thing that puzzles me a bit. Last year, Atlanta heavily favored their left attacking side. This year, it almost seems like they are trying to switch to the right side. Is there a confidence issue between Garza and Ambrose that the players have unconsciously developed?

Maybe its just me mis-remembering the matches.

10. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Asad and Garza worked great together. You aren’t misremembering. Unfortunately neither are playing for the team. Couple that with this is Ambrose’s, what, 3rd game and it will take time build the chemistry between him and Barco or even McCann and Barco when McCann returns from injury

Mendel repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve been quietly impressed by Ambrose.

Mendel repped this.
  12. Mendel

Mendel Member

Atlanta
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    If anything, it appears that Barco has not included Ambrose in the play. Barco likes to take the ball on the left sideline and dribble the ball towards the top of the box. I've seen Ambrose make many runs towards the corner without being given the ball. Feeding the run, even occasionally, could help Barco be even more effective or at least less predictable.

Gressel on the right side frequently doesn't have anyone directly supporting him. I feel a disproportionate number of chances he has comes from the defense.

As good as the front 3 are, they could probably improve. That's a scary thought.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Barco is often like a left-sided Arjen Robben, isn't he?! But at least he has age on his side, so I'm sure much of it is his limited experience.

Mendel repped this.
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you're not familiar with how Precourt has sabotaged the local fan base to enable this move then I suggest reading Dave's several articles on the matter posted on the BS main page. Bottom line, the poor crowds you see are in response to the owner's actions. I dont really care about Columbus as much as I vehemently oppose this guy getting away with his actions. He's the evil opposite of Arthur Blank.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. Mendel

Mendel Member

Atlanta
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    Really apt comparison. Wish I'd thought of that.