Matchday #15: Union v Crew, June 3, 2015 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Jun 1, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: Crew v. Union

Poll closed Jun 3, 2015.
  1. Win

13.2%
  2. Loss

69.8%
  3. Tie

17.0%
  1. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes! Amazing what confidence can do to a team. A lot more assertiveness on the ball, lots more (well-directed) hustle.

If BC could cut out those wildly inaccurate passes that come 5/6 times a game, he'd be an unquestioned starter.

Marquez and Sylvestre are quality defensive pieces at reasonable price (listening, Sak?)

CJ has done all that's been asked of him. Start him and Casey, and watch them have fun with the NYC defense.

thomas19064 repped this.
  2. etsjay

etsjay Member

Oct 31, 2011
    PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2014 MLS SuperDraft - Round 4 - Pick # 44 - Philadelphia Union

3. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like him and I want him to do well. But I think CJ needs to be the starter (even if Nando wasn't injured).

4. swd1974

swd1974 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    A few things after my joyous evening.

1) Id like to see two strikers with CJ and Nando, eliminate Wengers role
    2) How Pfeffer did not come on in place of Wenger earlier is beyond me
    3) BC shows how important the CDM role is for us and he isn't getting younger. Need a quality replacement here for the future (DP?)
    4) How is Wenger still starting!!!!!!! What other player in the world has been in this deep of funk without being replaced at least a game now and then.
    5) Marquez and Pfeffer are the future. I am so enamored with Marquez what a great CB. I would keep Edu/MArquez as starters and Vitoria as rotational if we can afford him as rotational.

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Vittoria injured?

6. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been as critical of wenger as anyone else, but he had a really good game last night. I think he was left in to get a goal and gain confidence.

7. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, instead, seemed to only get more frustrated. His demeanor after the last miss last night showed a guy who may be playing on extreme "tilt" and may need a game or two off.

8. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you should pull Wenger when he is playing well and reward Pfeffer after he just single-handedly (intentional pun) cost us points?

9. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yes. I think he just returned to training this week.

Love the poker reference

10. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, he trained this week. Hard to see him getting back on the field the way Marquez is playing, though. That tackle on Higuain made my night.

11. swd1974

swd1974 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hand ball has to be intentional. That was not. Bad call. I haven't seen Wenger play well yet. Did he have a decent game that you expect all professionals to have? Debatable but that is top end right now. Pfeffer plays like that on a bad night.

12. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that Pfeffer's elbow to the head was intentional either, but that cost us points as well.

Doop, Handsome Pete and LuckyStriker repped this.
  13. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game last night so mostly just happy, happy, happy.

Only dark spot was sitting right in front of the play (Sec 104) where Nando gets hacked down from behind in the box and gets no call. Again. Will MLS review this one in between games and suspend another player after the fact? You all dump on me every time I mention a 'slant' from MLS refs against the Union so give me a break here and tell me just how many missed red cards against us, false red cards for us, PK's for the bad guys from phantom fouls and crippling fouls in the box it would take for you all to say that the Union are a designated loser team for MLS refs? I count 6 or 7 obvious point changing fouls in the first third of the year. How long does this have to continue before I maybe have a point?

I'm NOT saying that Garber has even had a secret meeting where he told the refs to cheat us. Only FIFA is capable of that. I AM suggesting that in a single entity league, there are singled out, marquee teams and then teams like us who are not in trouble at the box office and so are known to be 'expendable'.

Yo-Joe repped this.
  14. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will listen once you compile the list for every other MLS team.

It's a league issue, not a Union issue.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

buzzkiller23, Doop, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.
  16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more then a league issue, it's a USSF issue. These are the same officials who over see NASL, USL and USOC matches. If the best Referees PRO can produce are Chapman, Alfath, and Unkel.......it's not going to matter who MLS signs to play in the league, it's going to hold MLS and US soccer back from progressing further.

If think this is just a Union issue, try watching an NASL match. Those harken back to playing ball at the park, no blood no foul. I totally understand and get that Referees have a very difficult job to do, but the standard of Officials that USSF trots out at all levels needs to improve and become much more consistent.

UnionDues, Handsome Pete and Doop repped this.
  17. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Union played great...pressed the ball all night, watched each others back, supported the ball, tackled, played with heart and made their own luck! I could watch that effort all night...seems like they're clicking right now, just need to keep it up!!

18. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Actually a handball has to be deliberate, not intentional. slight difference, but different. It is a very poorly defined call. The FIFA rulebook only has four words describing it. It leaves a lot of discretion up to the ref.

MAR2010 and billf repped this.
  19. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wording in the laws is not intentional, its deliberate. The former requires a referee to read minds where the later asks him or her to judge based on an observable set of criteria. I viewed this as more ball to hand than hand to ball. When this was given, the referee team must have decided that Pfeffer's arms were in an unnatural position and/or that he made himself bigger by placing his arms where they were. I do not think that was the case, but that was the judgement. I think he was really unlucky.

jaykoz3 and MAR2010 repped this.
  20. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to defend the referees because I do think they need to improve. I spent a lot of time involved in the program and worked with a number of guys who have now either made it to MLS or are very close. The league expanded very fast, much faster than it takes to develop referees. As a result, we see a number of very inexperienced referees learning on the job. We haven't had enough lower league games to blood referees. I think its getting better now because there are more games. What you see in the NASL and USL is, frankly, what you should see. Its better they learn the pro game down there and not in MLS.

It takes longer to get an MLS whistle now. Referees used to get a couple of fourths and then get a game in Columbus or San Jose very soon there after and start to get into the rotation. Now they spend a lot of time learning as a fourth and getting middles in NASL and USL. They also get some preseason and open cup games. Some have been in that mode for three years.

If I had a say, I'd handle things a bit differently. They track the elite referees as either whistles or ARs very early and specialize from there. I always learned more by working as an AR at the next level before doing the middle. I think that helps getting used to speed of play and what's going on between the lines. You get a closer look at what works and what doesn't. In England, that's generally how it works too. You get whistles at conference level and lines in league two. You than graduate, if you do well, to whistles in league two and lines in league one. They don't specialize unless a PL AR gets a Fifa AR badge. This system has been in place for a while here, and I was hoping it would be something Walton would change.

Doop, jaykoz3, UnionDues and 4 others repped this.