Matchday #15: Union v Crew, June 3, 2015 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Jun 1, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: Crew v. Union

Poll closed Jun 3, 2015.
  1. Win

13.2%
  2. Loss

69.8%
  3. Tie

17.0%
  1. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #51 Phillyspur, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
    I think we need to sign the Crew goalie. He's right in line with our tradition.

Stadium rules are to return the ball. Those things are expensive. Can't do red text on phone.

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.....best 90 minutes this team has played all season so far. Let's hope it continues. Hell, as long as they play this competent the rest of the way, I can honestly say I could stomach a loss.

Still......this doesn't change the fact that the cheap as cat shit ownership/FO needs to change and/or improve.

3. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Yes! chant after the Nogueira goal was one of my favorite all-time Union moments.

The 'Go Back to Ohio' chant on the other hand... :unsure:

Anywho, I thought the crowd was pretty good considering I was expecting it to be their lowest ever a few weeks ago.

4. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the most fun I had at a Union game in a long, long time.

cwelch999, lopezzzz, amusiccale and 3 others repped this.
  5. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union have beaten 3 playoff teams in 4 games. And the loss was dubious. Who the heck actually saw that coming?

cwelch999 repped this.
  6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Turns out Fabinho can defend, too.

Doop and TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  7. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O either saw a team playing with a lot of confidence or read it into their play. I just did not see the desperate play that was common earlier in the year. Lots of fun at PPL.

BTW, we had three seats we could not use so we ran into three people without tickets and let them use our seats. Nice guys and a pleasure to watch the match with.

8. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Did anyone notice the 3 minute stretch of possesion around the 70th minute after we were already up? It was a thing of beauty, guys controlling the ball, moving for there teamates, crisp passes. I almost shit myself with joy. Bryan Carroll looked spectacular today, Chaco was great, CJ heating up, Wenger is about to break out and when he does, look out. This positive feeling is so unusual

OldRetiredCoach, Doop, jaykoz3 and 7 others repped this.
  9. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't know if I've ever seen this team tackle better than tonight. It was practically perfect and smooth all night long.

jaykoz3, cwelch999, etsjay and 2 others repped this.
  10. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much the Red helped our game tonight. He really let the teams play on and only injected himself in the play when he felt he had to. That may have been good for us.

11. -smokeandmirrors-

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Certainly did not expect that result. This team is doing well and scoring some really nice goals and doing well to do more than just dump the ball off to the wings and hope a good cross gets through

Also when Columbus' keeper M'Bolhi'd that ball and I saw Nogs line for the chip I was legitimately afraid he was going to miss it.

One more thing: Sapong needs to start. Why not use a 2 striker set?

12. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my fault. I'm from West Virginia. We hate the State of Ohio. I screamed "Ohio sucks!" And people joined me, oddly. And then someone went Seven Nation Army with it and turned it into GBTO. Sort of weird how that one mutated. I really just wanted to express how much I hated the State of Ohio. I had no idea others apparently did, too.

13. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was fun.

And I know everyone has already anointed Nando "All-Time Union Best" but I'm sorry, he's done nothing to earn it. I'd much rather see Sapong starting. They've both missed their fair share of games, but the team just looks better with CJ out there.

14. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Was that a "sieve!" chant I heard? God bless whoever got that going.

15. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nogs had a monster game. He and BC switched back and forth all night.

I'm sorry, but Pogatetz didn't cheap shot Nando. I don't think it was a foul, much less a PK. If we'd drawn or lost the ref conspiracy chants would be loud today.

That's now a couple of times we've seen opposition coaches miscalculate on how to play here. The first 30 minutes the U sat back and Crew possessed well. But speed kills the U and they played Schoenfeld instead of Kamara. Olsen was super conservative too and it cost him.

I'll say well done tactically to JC, though his options be limited. We'll see what's rolled out Saturday. They def were trying to feed Wenger, the same way parents feed a baby. One spoon at a time and messily. Hopefully Ayuk starts for him Saturday under the "schedule congestion " theme to spare his confidence.

UnionDues and Handsome Pete repped this.
  16. allgo

allgo Member

Jun 6, 2011
    so how did this even happen? kinda boggles my mind like when Chivas would win a game.

17. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wow. I am feeling much better about this team, and the individual players. Agreed Nando's having a hard time of it, but I think it was more that speed and calm precision were what was needed to win, and that's CJ. Highlights:
    1) Killer instinct.
    2) Killing time with possession, not bunkering
    3) Movement off the ball
    4) Opportunism (see goal 2)
    5) Teamwork and communication (see goal 3)
    6) Goalkeeping (just buy him, please)
    7) Ball skills (Nogs, Ayuk, CJ, Sheanon(!), Fabinho)
    8) Organized and strong individual defending

We have a serious stable of central defenders now with Mo able to move back, with Marquez, and Vitoria and White in reserve. LeToux looked alive and had only one really silly pass. Carroll was great, minus maybe three givewaways, which for him isn't bad. Williams was great. Mo's decision to move the ball up himself led to the first goal.

Just wow.

18. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #68 Handsome Pete, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Curtin did well. Although with the schedule as it is I wouldn't have minded earlier subs. Columbus weren't offering much of anything, I don't think he would have risked too much.

Then again, they aren't playing a powerhouse Saturday.

Great work from BC, Fabi (despite the continued PSP hate), CJ and even Candyman. I've missed this Candyman.

Also, that one Sylvestre save. He's really made the most of his time here.

Doop, jaykoz3, -smokeandmirrors- and 4 others repped this.
  19. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Right, and if Casey is ready to go (and clobber Saunders) we can def win it.

20. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mondragonesque.

21. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, what a night! cant remember having that much fun at a game in a long time. the River End was amazing in the second half: loud, fun, lots of flags.

really thought McLaughlin would have gotten a run out up 3-0 at home. if you cant use him at that point, might as well not dress him

22. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly I agree with you about Nando. This team isn't built for success with a slow, poacher style, striker. We score when we can keep the ball moving. CJ should be the starter.

23. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was surprising... Its too bad I missed it, but glad they played well.

24. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shout and Bohemian Rhapsody should be regular songs in TRE.... beats the hell out of the "UNION *drum* *drum* UNION"

25. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an impressive performance. Outran, outhustled, and outplayed the Crew. Candyman in particular had some monster tackles. Maybe it was the sugar high from all those Skittles? Columbus seemed beaten after the second goal and seemed to give up entirely after the third. Agree with @ScottyMac26 that Berhalter's conservative approach, along with not playing Kamara, was a serious miscalculation. But credit where credit is due, just about everyone not wearing a yellow shirt had a good game, and even Wenger performed better than in recent games.

On the other hand, there might be a reason why this team isn't winning games with Nando on the field, and the injury forced Curtin's hand there. Also would have liked to have seen earlier subs when this team goes up by 3. NYCFC is awful, but you can't take anything for granted on Saturday.