PBP: Matchday 15: ATL vs CHI

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, May 31, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United FC vs Chicago Fire
    Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta
    Saturday, June 1, 6:00 PM
    UniMas

ATLUTD.com preview here.
    AJC.com United home page here.

Come, lads, and see that the finish line lies in view. After a manic May Atlanta will finish a run of 8 matches in 28 days with their game against Chicago. The sting from frustrating losses in Salt Lake and NJ still linger but the midweek rebound versus Minnesota, only the 2nd time this year they've tallied more than 2 goals in an MLS match, has restored some faith. The legs are tired, there's still some imbalance to the side, but the general spectre of a defending champion is rounding into view.

Atlanta now sits 3rd in the east, 2nd best in PPG (though NYC has games in hand). Josef may not be on the pace of last year but the team has quietly amassed the 2nd best defensive record in the league on the way to rediscovering some trophy winning form. Even with the chaotic schedule and player rotation. All things considered...

Chicago strolls into town on the heels of a 3-3 draw in DC on Wednesday. The Fire currently sit 7th in the east but have taken 8 of their last 15 points, so this is hardly a pushover. Schweinsteiger may not be the man he once was but he's ably managing the Fire midfield while the 5-Alarm Crew enjoy decent scoring returns from both Nikolic and CJ Sapong. The Fire try to play a methodical, wide game that isolates their attackers. They tend to shoot often and hope they can cover with just 3 deep on defense. They tend to be a feast or famine team depending on their offensive proficiency.

Atlanta struggled to put away Minnesota and needed a clearance from Guzan after the ball had gone approximately 93% over the line. Maybe even 94%. What Atlanta did right, however, was not get sucked up in some cynical challenges or give up despite several shots just missing. Their persistent attack paid off and the win was duly earned. If the crowd is in good form Saturday night the team could well ride on momentum alone knowing they're keenly poised to chase down a divisional lead after a well deserved 2 week break.

The biggest question that remains to be clarified right now is the fate of LGP, who finished the match Wednesday but only after having his head wrapped twice to stop bleeding and swelling from a collision. His form has been strong but he's also logged the most minutes of anyone on the Stripes roster this season. Tito Villalba, meanwhile, is expected to miss this match, as well, while still recovering from his leg injury sustained in NJ, so odds are Dion Perriera gets the nod again after a fine display Wednesday.

Josef likes playing at home and enjoyed being The King once more, so he'll be hungry to add more goals and force Vela to look over his shoulder in the MVP race. I'm expecting another 3 goal showing for the Stripes. Can they notch another shutout with that?

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Chicago is the most winnable game of this 4 match stretch before going into the break, and also the most losable. Never underestimate a man named Schweinsteiger. He is the terminator, "I'll be back".

Regarding LGP. I think he is fine. I've cracked my noggin in games many times (explains a lot) but only been concussed once. It is easy for head knock to break the skin and a contusion on the head bleeds freely. Often it looks a lot worse than it is and LGP didn't look concussed.

It will be a big crowd tonight and the team should feed off that. Let's score early so I can relax, Dr. Patel is concerned about my blood pressure.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Odd performance today. Lot less possession and fewer shots, but 3 pts and a shutout. Chicago had more shots than I'd prefer but it didn't feel like they truly threatened.

Remedi played well. MOTM material, at least. Pity would've had a great game if he would stop dropping every time his defender uses an arm.

Crowd was decent. Usual fatigue with so many folks half-spent after the CL final. I'd say 63-65k in attendance.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Shea had a quality performance subbing in 2nd half. Created some chances and changed the tenor of the left-side attack where Perriera was not as effective as Wed.

Defense as a whole did really well. A couple of individual errors but excellent recoveries and the shutout was duly earned.

Time to rest and recharge. Glad the Open Cup is next as it will give some other guys some PT.

5. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LGP was sub-par today. So was Robinson. They kept a clean sheet against a team they should definitely have kept a clean sheet against, but there were moments where it looked harder than it needed to be. Neither was terrible, but neither was up to their recent world-beater status.

I agree, Shea looked really effective today as a sub. Much better than Pereira, though it was the end of the game and the fresh legs were apparent. Meram was also very good in his few minutes.

Pity got an assist today, but otherwise looked tired and sluggish. He needs the month to rest, I think. Glad to see his name on the stat sheet, though. Josef, on the other hand, seems to have found the touch. Hopefully he can continue that form with Venezuela and come back firing on all cylinders with Barco.

First half crowd was alight, engaged, and vocal. Second half crowd was a little more subdued, but so was the run of play. Over in my corner, there was a loud Chicago contingent until Josef scored.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    My take from the game... Chicago Fire fans are a humorless, sad lot and their wives and GFs all look like Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

7. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. I didn't see one Fire fan all day. Must have been in a corner somewhere.

Good to see Josef is getting his mojo back. That first goal is basically pure FdB. If every goal looked like that one he'd be happy. It was a pretty goal. Chicago had their chances; if they could finish it would have been a much different game. Won't complain though about a 2-0 win. Happy to see the guys get a much needed break.

8. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chicago fans were in the upper deck (or possibly 2nd deck) in the corner opposite the supporters' section.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    My comment was mostly directed at the Chicago board. Apparently they are not interested in a polite pregame discussion over there, but judging by the few fans down at MBS Sunday Chicago is still a cow town. :)

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That first goal was a thing of beauty. Goal of the season for me so far.