PBP: Matchday 14: ATL vs MNUFC

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, May 27, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United FC vs Minnesota United FC
    Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta
    Wed. May 29, 7 PM
    Fox SportsSouth

ATLUTD.com preview ain't up yet but it will be available here.
    AJC.com United page here.

As implied by Rberson's player ratings Atlanta's defensive lineup at RSL didn't pan out as hoped, and not simply because of the score. Bottom line, having a back 4 plus both Remedi and Larentowicz on the pitch not only didn't produce a lock down defensive display but it left the offense short on service and support. Yes, once more fatigue was a factor, especially in the case of LGP, but for a number of players their positioning was off and their movement off the ball was lacking, at least in part due to confusing roles. Player rotation is good and the team needs to foster different gameday strategies, but for now this model appears ill-suited for this roster.

The bright side is that once again even though Atlanta lost it wasn't for lack of talent or a case of being blown away. A few inches here or there and Atlanta draws the last two plus the FCD match. While that sentiment doesn't help in the standings it does suggest the team is still close enough in their performances that things can easily swing back in their favor, much like during the win streak.

With that in mind the Loon Army comes to town for a church-night special. Buoyed by an undefeated home record Minnesota is 1 point better than Atlanta so far and fans are anxious for their first playoff appearance. Their off-season roster moves have yielded a more complete side that plays with more verve than last year and presents a balanced attack focused around Darwin Quintero. They're scoring with more frequency and displaying better defensive resolve aided by new signing Ike Opara. This is a formidable side and they won't come to town afraid.

For Atlanta the lingering question still remains: Will they be able to find a way to break down a packed defense? The fatigue isn't helping, nor is Barco's absence, but the talent is there (based on last season, anyway) to at least be performing much better than they have so far. They're averaging a goal less per game compared to the title run, and while some drop off would be natural this is still extreme. Bottom line, they need to put more shots on target, and put more pressure on opposing defenses.

Expect more player rotation but a more offensively minded lineup. Nagbe should drop back to his natural position and presumably Jeff or Eric dropped in favor of another attacking player.

The players need a rest but they also desperately need to collect full points this week. They go all out tomorrow night and complete the first half of the task, 2-1.

Side note: Now is the time for the crowd to rally! If we truly want this whole enterprise to be about more than one season or about a few players, if we want this to be the kind of experience where United is defined by the fans much like every team/franchise we often laud like the Packers, Dortmund, or the Cubs then we need to be there and cheer them on regardless of recent form. If they give up a goal we cheer louder and remind everyone this is that something different! Let's have us the fans define the character of the club and drive the team forward, not just being lazy and reactionary. The atmosphere is all in our hands. Let's do our part to break the team out of their rut! Let's feed them the energy they need to pull out the win! Let's be rowdy and proud for EVERY match, no matter what!

Eleven Bravo and Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    TBH, as mediocre as our results have been overall, nobody else in the East is dominating atm, so the situation's not as dire as it could be. We have matches in hand that can put us on top of the conference. I'll go with 2-1, Stripes.

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately for us, what we will be coming to town without is another one of those off season signings, Romain Metanire, who may just be the best right back in the entire league. A late yellow against Houston Saturday night was his fifth of the season, and therefore he'll be suspended for this one. Things will be a bit thin on the backline.

Which is a pity, because at the moment, it's our defense that's winning games. We've only scored 4 goals in our last 6 matches...but we've only allowed 3, and have 11 points from those last 6 matches.

Shorthanded as we are, I think you have too much firepower for us. 3-1, Atlanta.

Auriaprottu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sounds like this could be a contest of 2 teams just trying not to lose. Goody.

If you ever come down this way, cat, let me know and we'd be happy to catch up with you.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I disagree... while this is not a must win game, we must win. I say we field our strongest team and take all 3 points. And then we do the same on Saturday. And then everyone gets 3 weeks rest.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And BlueCat82, let me buy the first brew when you come visit... don't drink the tea. It will put you in a diabetic coma even if you don't have diabetes.

Bluecat82 and GunnerJacket repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And here I thought it's just a matter of acclimation. Like developing immunity to poison!

8. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make that brew a root beer and you're on!

(large private school, Mountain Time Zone, Football Independent, there's a musical about us on Broadway...you get the idea...) :)

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well that is easy. I'll buy you a souvenir cup and you can fill it up to your hearts content. That is one of the perks of our stadium. Do come see us one day.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So Tito is a no go. Who do we put in his place? If it is Justin Meram I say we hop him up on Sweet Tea. If it is Dion Pereira I say don't be a tool and make some intelligent runs. Either way, one on these guys is going to score tonight.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Andrew Carleton ever going to feature for this team?

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So Arsenal just sleepwalked through a s***ty performance to sacrifice a trophy and CL spot, so Atlanta better win tonight.

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, one of your teams got maximum points. A solid win for the Stripes, Josef with a late brace.

Frankly (no pun intended), I doubt it. Sometimes home isn't the best place to be. He can play in this league, tho, and I'd like to see him go someplace where he'll get that chance.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate that for multiple reasons, but selfishly, as an Atlanta fan, it sets a bad precedent if we don’t nurture youth development.

STR1 repped this.
  15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He is home grown which apparently means something in this league and gives him special status which he wouldn't have if he played for Orlando or Minnesota. I don't pretend to understand it. I'd like to see him playing somewhere. Does he even suit up for AU2? He is on the road trips with the big club, but what is the point if Frank will never let him step on the pitch?

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Squad looked good tonight A couple of late goals, but that 3-0 score wasn't flattery, it was earned.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As someone who isn't a GA native or current resident, I get that I'm not as close to the homegrown thing as you are. That said, we're starting Miles, and Bello will continue to get time once he heals up. And FWIW, Barco's only 19. He fits in the "development" category, too, doesn't matter IMO that he was a big purchase.

EDIT: Miles is older than I thought at 22, but I don't think there's any question that he's still getting better.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I really don't know what benefits a player like Carleton more, training with the first team and eating bench or actually playing constantly in USL. He must be good otherwise neither Tata nor FdB would even include him in the 18. I really don't understand what they are doing with him.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.....no. Good win and all --- but still didn't take away the sting from earlier in the afternoon in any way shape or form for me. I suppose I should just be happy the Stripes didn't add to my misery.

20. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Chelsea is now double-qualified for the Champions League, does one of their qualifications get passed along to another team?

Atlanta straight-up dominated this game, start to finish. Minnesota had one good look in front of goal when Guzan did his juggling trick to amaze the crowd. Otherwise, all they could get were half-chances at best.

Pity continues to frustrate me. He should have had two or three good looks at goal, but squandered them all. His one good shot in the highlight reel was actually two seconds late and probably would have scored if he'd taken the first opportunity. Pity repeatedly takes on stacked defenders when there's no good reason to, and then fails to take on defenders when he's one-v-one in space and leaving that one guy in his dust would open up the entire offensive third of the field.

Frickin' Parkhurst, man. He's trying real hard to be a legit winger, and he's got the vision. He just doesn't have the feet. Several times last night, he made the right run, but then couldn't dribble past the defender and get the cross away cleanly. But then on more than one occasion, his midfield defending or his recovery defending when LGP bombed forward were exquisite. Speaking of LGP, I thought his runs forward were excellent last night, especially after Pogba came on and could shoulder some of the defensive duties.

Pereira, I'm not 100% sold on. He worked hard all night, but at times he looked slow. I didn't see a ton of star quality. Then again, all the same stuff could be said about Eric Remedi, and he's a lock starter.

Glad Josef got two goals. On the Gressel-assisted one, I was a little worried about his recent finishing. But the second, when he's one-on-one with the keeper and has already scored in the run of play, I stood up and cheered for the goal as soon as the defender headed the ball back to him.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nothing will take away the sting, especially the way that result slowly evolved. At least Atlanta's show gave me something to appreciate from the day.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A somewhat ramshackle performance from the Stripes last night but I think the result is duly deserved. Gave up more quality chances than I'd prefer and the offensive attack slowed itself down more often than I'd like, but plenty to smile about. Periera looked really good, I think Gressel had a fine display for playing in the middle, and Parkhurst is nicely owning the left back position.

Josef came through with some nice finishing for his 2 goals, surely helping his confidence. Now let's see some of that when not on a breakaway. He and the others had some difficulty pulling the trigger again last night.

Guzan had a fine game, as well. Hated having to need him as much as they did but that's why you invest in a decent keeper.

Overall a 7/10 performance for me but better still 3 pts. Let's do it once more Saturday and get to some much needed rest.

23. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rest for most, but Guzan, Robinson, Nagbe, Barco, and Williams are all playing during the international break.

24. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US and Jamaica haven't released their final 23 man roster, so it's possible some of those guys will be staying home. I expect Romario to go for Jamaica. No idea about the guys on the USMNT.

Always happy to score three goals at home. Would still like to see United sink the dagger earlier in the game, but better late than never.

It's amazing to think, after as bad as the team has looked, that they are only three points out of first place in the Eastern Conference. With two games in hand.

Oh, and re: Carlton: I think it would be in his best interest to move on. He's still very young, but he's in his third year, and there's been no indication of real improvement since he's been signed. You don't want to give up on a kid, but it's obviously not working for him here, and maybe he'd do better in a different environment.