PBP: Matchday 13: RSL vs ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, May 23, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Real Salt Lake vs Atlanta United FC
    Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah
    Friday, May 24, 2019
    9:00 PM EST
    UniMas

ATLUTD.com preview here.
    AJC United home page here.

Limited preview tonight as it's been a busy week for all sorts of reasons. That and we're all still really pissed about Sunday's dismal showing and result. I will say this, if the club wins the next two matches I'll forgive them the Harrison s***show.

Villalba is considered doubtful following his late game knock in NJ, with his shin catching the underside of a boot while following through on kick. The team had a couple days off following that stretch so legs should be rested but perhaps a bit out of tune with only 1.5 days of prep before facing the red Rocky Mtn. side.

Salt Lake comes in with a slightly worse record but more rest, the home field advantage, and a team that will look to run, run, run.

I'll try to offer more tomorrow. Right now I gotta go teach some folks about how to appeal their property tax increase. Cheers, and come on you Five Stripes!

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Did Villalba even make the trip?

And I need some advice on how to appeal my property tax increase, but perhaps this isn't the correct forum.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you're in GA and still within filing period shoot me a PM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using BigSoccer mobile app

VFish repped this.
  4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Will do.

Back to the topic, how is everyone watching tonight's match? I have AT&T U-verse and it looks like my only option is Unimas, whatever that is. What it apparently isn't is a digital hi-def channel and it does seem to have an SAP English language option. I suppose I could sync-up the visual with 92.9 PBP call, but it bothers me that visuals are going to suck.

I suppose I could opt for a watch party.

5. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have the same channel lineup I do, you're gonna want channel 1658. It'll be in HD. You'll have to hit the SAP for the English commentary. The pregame and halftime will still be in Spanish, but the game will be in English.

Which you honestly might not want to do. The English commentators on Univision are my least favorite.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I just checked, channel 'Futbol' right? Apparently I am not subscribed to that channel. As I recall AT&T and Univision had a falling out. Do you have U-Verse or DirectTV (or whoever AT&T partnered up with)?

7. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. There's a program called 'Futbol' on right now, but the channel is Univision Deportes. I have Uverse.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am on the U200 package, which means I have 175 channels I never watch. Sports, AXS, and local is all I really care about. Although I have become quite an expert on murder and mayhem thanks to the Forensic Files and other ID crime shows. If you need a dirty deed done dirt cheap I am your man.

I think I am going to go down to Holyes' to watch with like minded fans. It is close to the homestead.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Major rotation in the lineup tonight.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    11Bravo should be happy, Pity is on the bench.

11. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Periera over Meram is a surprise.

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nice reward for the kid. He has looked good when brought in late and he is quick, which is nice in Tito's absence.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Periera is left footed, Meram right footed. Lineup allows Gressel and Periera to play their natural spots.

I think the lineup should work well versus RSL. Hopefully it enables the Stripes to keep possession.

14. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL not bunkering, which is nice. Not a strong start, though.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Wow! Off the post... thank you Jesus!

16. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team looks tired to me.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    36' and Saucedo gives RSL the lead. Can't complain too much about the goal as it was a good shot from outside the box. Maybe Jeff could've been closer up on him?

Biggest issue has been Atlanta's inability to hold the ball. Need to move the ball much quicker.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Stripes are starting their defense at midfield. Not sure if this is to protect our slower wingbacks but I'd prefer to see Dom and Gressel push up further.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Can't blame the coach, he gave them Monday and Tuesday off, but yeah we are lethargic.

21. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pereira hasn't looked like much so far. He looks a little lost.

Poor defending between Larentowicz and Parkhurst and Pirez leads to an easy goal for RSL.

Altitude and travel are clearly having an effect.

Kudos to Parkhurst, though, for nearly earning a PK. If he'd have stepped in front of the defender instead of actually trying to score, he'd have at least had a free kick right on the line.

All the games on Univision are also on Twitter, so that's where I'm watching. Agreed that the English-language announcers are pretty bad.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The radio crew described this as sloppiness. They are being kind.

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tonight would've been a good night for the better versions of Barco or Tito.

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HT: 1-0

Atlanta needs to get more people forward. Nagbe is supposed to be there in the Pity role but he's falling back to his normal deeper position. Dom is also drifting back. Hasn't helped that Atlanta's passes from the back haven't been accurate. Or they've been too late in coming the RSL defense has recovered.

Still can get back into this one.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Dutch is guttural language, I hope Frank uses some harsh words to spark the second half.