Matchday 12: ORL vs ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, May 13, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Orlando City SC vs. Atlanta United
    Orlando City Stadium — Orlando
    May 13 - 6 pm ET
    FoxSports1

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com "4 questions" for the match here.
    AJC.com match preview here.

Will be brief today as I'm spending the time between Arsenal and AUFC doing some work and getting in a run.

Let's face it, we're all still upset about Wednesday night's result and are anxious to see if the affects of Brad Guzan's asinine blunder will compound the team's struggles for the week as Atlanta faces a surging Orlando side without 2 key defenders (Escobar and McCann, both out injured) nor they top keeper (Guzan, suspended). There is a chance either Kann or Hildebrandt could play but it might also mean having them play injured. 4th string keeper Paull Christensen actually did fairly well for himself considering the circumstances Wednesday night, and while today will feature a hostile environment it also comes after he's had a few days to process the prospects of actually starting. I'm sure during that time Tata also gave him a very, very critical piece of direction: Don't get a red during the match!

Personnel wise the questions for Atlanta mirror Wednesday with regards to the options for midfield (Tito? Gressel? Kratz?) and defense (Zizzo? Ambrose? Just go with another midfielder?). I suspect they start Zizzo and Gressel, then save Tito as an option for speed off the bench and expect to pull Larentowicz in the 2nd half.

Orlando has certainly righted their ship and comes in winning 6 straight. Dominic Dwyer has proven a shrewd acquisition from last season as the Lions prepared themselves for life after Larin, with the former USMNT player having netted 6 goals thus far in 2018. Sasha Kljestan has helped steady the midfield transition game and Coach Kreiss has rallied the team into a more finely organized attacking squad. They're direct and aggressive and to date it's paid off.

With Guzan I'd feel much more comfortable, if only because there's a reason Christensen isn't starting somewhere else right now. Atlanta don't necessarily need to win this game but I'd say it is imperative they play well and keep their form and belief regardless of the outcome. You don't want to have a two game slide punctuated by the start of doubts and questions.

Based on the intensity of last year's affairs I'll guess 2-2 is on the cards.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Never looked like conceding three points tonight. Kann showed up and Barco is showing more and more of his quality every match. Looking fwd to NYRB next week.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kann - was good but what’s up with him kicking the ball? Seemed like he was unable to kick the ball long and has to pass it short. Either way, he was solid but his distribution was atrocious.

Gonzalez Pirez - great game. Both good offensively and defensively. Definitely one of the best defenders in the league.

Parkhurst - awesome game. Like a fine wine, he seems to perform better with age.

Robinson - I don’t get why Tata was so apprehensive to start him. It’s clear he belongs at this level. The one mistake he did make, however, did lead to a goal.

Larentowicz - Outstanding. Just like Parkhurst, gets better with age.

Nagbe - MOTM. His game had gotten so much better since he came to Atlanta. He really seems to flourish in a deep holding position where he can find the game.

Gressel - pretty unspectacular but nothing bad. His crosses were mostly overhit.

Garza - almost the same as Gressel but did think he was an improvement.

Almiron - I saw somewhere he was MOTM... I wanted to laugh or cry? I thought he was very poor tonight. He never seemed to really find the game and continues to miss sitters.

Martinez - Glad he scored the PK but that’s about all he did tonight. Besides, at 5’6, it’s almost silly playing high crosses into the box. Just may as well kick the ball in the stands and save the effort.

Barco - of the three DPs, seemed the most lively.

Villalba, Kratz, and Williams - no impact on the game.

4. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA

On board with much of the content here but I think it's a bit unfair to put that goal on Robinson's shoulders. I do think he had an opportunity to help clear but I thought that was very poor rebound control by Kann.

That initial shot wasn't so wicked where he couldn't have done more with his rebound. He parried it directly to the top of the box. Hellfire, send it over the top of the cage or push it out to the side, but no, he put it on a silver platter and Miles couldn't close in time to cover him.

Maybe I'm just looking for something to bitch about but I'm getting a little tired of Martinez's histrionics. His over the top reactions when he doesn't get service he expects, or when he gets subbed, or always being offside, or being very slow to recover once caught offside. His diva act is running a bit thin on me at the moment.

Speaking of divas what was up with Johnson of Orlando? Following his disgusting dive he goes complete apesh*t on the ref and incites a riot? I hope the league hits him up for a charitable donation in the form of a fine. Pretty trashy act in my opinion.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s frustrating is crossing the ball to Martinez in a crowded box.

Guys, he’s 5’6. He’s not getting to it.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand why he didn’t come on.... but Vasquez would have been the ideal choice over Williams as a sub. We need some height in there sometimes.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Parky was MOTM for me. Granted, his teammates make it all work but Michael's command of the back and his subtle positioning has been outstanding. The defense can be so smooth in facilitating the offensive approach of the team it's not even funny.

For me Kann and Robinson share the blame for the goal surrendered. I'm not mad, though, as this team has had its share of egregious errors. But Robinson needs to learn if he's turning back to the keeper in following a shot then he needs to be moving to close or bodying up an opponent.

To Kann's distribution, remember he's recovering from a knee injury so I'm sure that affected his play. Besides, this team should be used to bad distribution from the keeper by now!

But overall no complaints. Playing with that poise and grit a) on the heals of that tough loss and b) in that setting against a streaking Orlando side made me real proud of the team. Great resolve on their part, both coaches and players.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Martinez

I won't bash the approach of crossing into him because the dude has made several headed goals for the club. I do agree sometimes this approach is not in the cards and they need to more quickly shift to a Plan B in this regard.

As to his attitude, however, I agree it feels just a matter of time til that bites the team in the arse. Maybe he's simply not hard-wired to let up but if he can't learn to chill for the benefit of the team then sooner or later it will cost us. Dude is always posing tough in those celebratory locker room pics. Just needs to spend a little more time thankful he's on a winning team!

Also, get back onside after your bombing runs, dude. Please.