PBP: Matchday 11: VAN vs ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, May 14, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Atlanta United
    BC Place — Vancouver
    May 15 - 10:00 PM ET
    Fox SportSouth

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC United home page here.

No rest for the weary as Atlanta ventures to their most remote league destination in search of their 4th consecutive win. Yes, this quirk of MLS scheduling is beyond incomprehensible but griping won't change anything. The fine folks in British Columbia will be expecting an opponent clad in Atlanta colors and the match will count in the standings, so onward we go.

Atlanta's display vs. Orlando wasn't their best but it was good enough for 3 points. Pity got onto the score sheet, the defense kept another shutout, and no one got hurt. Survive and advance. Josef and a few others showed fatigue, and we know that Nagbe and Parkhurst aren't even on the trip, so for the next few matches we're assured of a rotating lineup.

Vancouver is likewise looking to round into form under their new manager. A classic middling MLS side they have some MLS quality like Freddy Montero but still need to find a complete lineup. In Vancouver's case their need is offense as they're averaging only a goal per match while surrendering a little more than that. Some injuries aren't helping, nor is having some other better teams established in the conference, but depending on the season preview of your choice the Whitecaps are a playoff contender, particularly when playing at home.

For the Five Stripes this stretch will be about retaining their defensive solidity. Legs and minds will surely be tired so the best option is to prove capable of controlling the ball and minimizing Vancouver's dangerous chances. Josef and others are capable of a quick strike counter but will want to be efficient in their attacks.

I'd be tempted to start almost a completely new side, writing off this non-conference match-up ahead of the weekend trip to New Jersey. Sacrifice this one in order to keep the starters ready for the next three. We'll see what FdB and company prescribe.

VFish repped this.
  2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    While he left Parkhurst and Nagbe at home to rest, FdB has already said he isn't going to do a mass rotation as some other clubs have done. Shea will be in at LB and it will be interesting to see who he plugs in to fill Nagbe's slot. I'd also expect some early substitutions based on the score and who needs to be fresh for the Sunday's clash in NY vs. the Red Bulls.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Parkhurst and Nagbe are left off...

———-Josef———-
    Meram—Pity—Villaba
    —Remedi—Jeff——-
    Shea—————Pogba
    ——LGP—-Miles——
    ————Guzan———-

Subs:
    Gressel (Pity)
    Williams (Josef)
    Pereira (Villalba)
    Unused: Gallagher, Escobar, Kann, and one spot still open.
    ...I know Bello and Ambrose are injured. Obviously Barco is with u20 Argentina.
    ...what’s up with Carleton, Goslin, Wild, Vasquez, and Kratz?

I think it’s a good opportunity to give Pogba some minutes. Even if Right Back isn’t his normal position... we need to see if he can provide defensive cover. And I want to rest Escobar since he is still coming back from an injury.

I’d keep LGP and Miles together. Often, center backs don’t seem to fatigue like other positions.

I worry about wearing out Josef, but he’s been doing well lately and not only do I not want to lose that form, we also don’t really have a good replacement. Romario Williams is terrible.

Pity needs minutes and we need him to step up, so he’s in.

I want to rest either Gressel or Villalba. Both play, but I don’t want either going 90.

Let’s see what Meram can do... also let’s bring in Pereira for an extended look.

Shea has impressed me enough lately that I’d like to see him get a start at LB.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  5. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way is LGP riding the pine. Pogba may come in, but he'd be in place of Escobar. As much as I've complained about LGP, he's looked much better the last few games. And as a long-time center back myself, I can tell you he's not nearly as gassed as some of the midfielders.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Some wishes granted, both Meram and Pogba in the starting 11, oddly it is Miles Robinson that sits.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The matchup to watch tonight, Fredy Montero v Florence Pogba.

8. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pogba is a central defender, and Miles looked less than perfect on Sunday. But given his consistency of form, I'd have played Robinson and Pogba.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Other than Pereira, AJC Doug got the line up right.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Eight minutes in and we must have given up the ball 30 times, not from pressure, but simply sloppy passes. We need to get out heads out of our arses.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Great, it is raining. Have done anything but lose in the rain?

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So far Brek Shea has been our best player.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  15. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 SabreKhan, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Pity wins the PK, Josef slots it home. Super Martinez Brothers!

1-0 at halftime. I have work tomorrow, so I'll catch the highlights in the morning. Just keep the clean sheet and we've got this one, boys!

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    #16 VFish, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Compared to the morgue that is MBS, the atmosphere in Vancouver is electric. It is so quiet in BC Place that the FS1 microphone can pick up individual fan conversations, I just heard someone say "I'm gonna to get a beer, what one eh?"

GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid me, forgot last night was the game. Glad to wake up and see we got the three points. Thoughts on the game?

18. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Pogba was excellent. Shea wasn’t bad. Pity looked lost. Villalba was wasteful. Escobar was tremendous. The Vancouver keeper kept the game close, he made 3 stupendous saves.

Overall 5 clean sheets in a row and a road win, great stuff. Onward and upward.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that Miles came in for Pity.

Did he play in the midfield or did we go 3 in the back?

Although, he’s my lock starter... if Pogba has earned a place in the rotation, and we’re short on DM’s then it’s assuring to know we could always slide Miles into that DM spot.

20. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only watched the first half, so take this for what it's worth.

Pogba looked very good. Not only on defense, but in starting the offensive play out of the back. He linked with a midfielder on the run several times, and he almost slotted Martinez in on goal with a through ball that Josef just whiffed on.

Shea looked very good going forward, too. His little wall pass with Martinez inside the box very nearly created a goal, and that same sequence later led to the PK.

Villalba's wastefulness is why he's not a lock starter. He is amazing at *almost* scoring goals.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, that was fun to watch if not exactly beautiful football. Atlanta was far from comprehensive but they were for the most part in control. Can't ask for much more when playing on the road with a volume of second stringers in the lineup.

Pogba was good but like a lot of players last night had way too many cheap giveaways for my liking. Not yet a First XI candidate for my money but a worthy backup. If he gets the chance I'll be curious to see how he fairs against a better opponent.

Meram had a capable debut for someone who's been with the side for just a week. Positioning struggled as one would expect but he showed a couple good reads and will be welcome depth with Kratz still injured.

Pereira showed some nice change of pace and skill in his limited time. Looking forward to seeing him blossom.

On the whole the play was sloppy but I appreciated the circumstances and was most pleased to see the time spent controlling the ball and slowing the play in the back. Players rarely enjoy that but it showed professionalism in understanding the need to avoid a track meet right now. Couple nice saves by Guzan and continued improvement in display from Pity.

A 7/10 performance but 10/10 result. Survive and advance.

Mabee, Auriaprottu and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate the analysis... I believe this is the first (non Open Cup) game I’ve missed from Atlanta, I believe. Work has been killing me!

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Fox Sports South is replaying the right now. They just kicked off. They'll also replay it again tomorrow morning @ 9:30

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    "Shea wasn't bad"? That is faint praise indeed. What does this guy have to do to get some love from Atlanta fans? I thought he had an excellent game in every third of the pitch. He worked very well with Pogba and they were an effective defensive duo. His pass efficiency was great. He set up Josef on at least 3 occasions for dangerous scoring opportunities and Brek was unlucky not to get an assist. Hell, he even had a rocket shot that was bound for the back of the net had a defender not blocked it. I was very pleased with his performance last night.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I even noted during the beginning of the game when we looked sloppy and road weary that Brek Shea was playing well. I think this comment came just before Pity earned the PK.