PBP: Matchday 11: A26.Korea Republic - Norway

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+2' (of +3') 1-2 Lee Geummin turns Moe Wold to 2m mid-left, cross to 8m 2-left, Yeo Minji dive-heads just wide left low.

FT 1-2. Norway advances, Korea Republic are out. They scored one, and almost had a buzzerbeater to tie.

Korea Republic 23(7)-(2)8 shots(sog), 4-3 corners, 0-3 offsides, 12-12 fouls, 36-13 clearances, 61% possession, 81% (361/447) - (225/314) 72% passing. Norway created enough danger to earn the two pks, and made no mistakes of their own in the back.

59Amerinorsk, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Norway won on a pretty bad day. That's the only good thing I can say about this performance. I also agree with Lechus on the tired players, particularly in midfield. It's either that or the players' minds were on the round of 16. The Koreans looked hungrier, played for pride and deserved more than to end this WC with zero points.

Caro Hansen injured, but it's still unsure how serious. She sounded a bit optimistic in post-match interviews, as did Sjögren. It could be a knock that heals over a few days.

59Amerinorsk, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  3. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    [
    Hansen wasn't dribbling, she kicked the ball out of her reach and was about to lose the running duel as Kang was faster and would've been first at the ball.
    See it in live action replay - Hansen probably wanted to put her foot in front of Kangs but she actually stomped on Kang's boot hurting herself in the process when her boot slides off Kang's. Referee under pressure of bad publicity for VAR chose not to check.
    1st penalty had at least some grounds as Cho was keeping her hands around Thorisdottir waist (although the women throw hereself to the ground in very theatrical way). Referee chose not to check with VAR either anyway.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA official highlights of the game:

1st PK looked indeed very soft to me.

Korean goal was spectacular instead, with that back-heel assist! :) And, hadn't the player scored, a PK for Korea should have been probably called.

5. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayRvc18heis&t=0m53s

Kang is a foot from the ball and completely submarines Hansen's legs. It's about the easiest PK in the tournament.

59Amerinorsk and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally disagree. Hansen looked fast enough to get to it and Kang, who was further away, went right at Hansen's feet. That was not a tough PK call.
    FYI - I'm not a fan of either team

7. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    That second penalty is just weird. I do not know what either player was trying to do. It is a penalty, but it is just really weird. Graham appears to be looking for contact, but the defender has decided to go for the ball with her right foot, which unwise when the player is on your right.

The first penalty was really soft and in an ideal world should not be given. But the Korean player should not make it so easy for the Norwegian player to simulate being fouled. Holding onto the player is also not a good idea.

I am curious to know if the number six for Norway got a yellow for her obvious foul on the goal scorer for Korea.

8. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

Kang's attacking the ball, Hansen jumps on Kang's foot.

9. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    That's some very selective gifs you've found there, Lechus. ;) Check the official highlight reel again, the Korean player never tackles the ball. She misses it completely.

59Amerinorsk and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I'd rather say the official highlights are quite selective ;)- implaying that it was an even match on chances created and showing only one angle of above challange.

In light of bad press and controversy surrounding VAR in this WWC, Canadian ref could decide not to use it (same way refs at WC in Russia did not use it). Ultimatelly last call is her's - and she can waive VAR ruling anytime. Some number of smaller missed calls by her in this match could support this theory.

11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I agree with that. The highlight reel should have had more Korean chances. The header just wide in the final minute was worthy to be added for sure.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  12. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    I think a lot of the calls are made upstairs, or at least in principle are, because they control what the referee sees; Steinhaus only seeing one small one second of one angle of Engen's PK while we saw five angles and longer views is proof enough.

Hansen will definitely not train this week, which affects her match preparation even if she does play Saturday. And if she does play, the team doctor's bag should be raided for HGH. At best serious ligament damage that takes a week to recover. There is no way in the world she will be 100%.

As the mod in referee forum replied to your posting of your videos above:

"Those are penalties.

What is there even to question?"

That no one in there questioned the call even from those selective angles is a good indicator.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.