PBP: Matchday 1: United States vs Ghana; June 16th; 6pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jun 16, 2014.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More of a stump-jumpin' inbred cousin********er

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other players have been lost to injury in previous tournaments and not replaced, so I wouldn't hold out hope.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I expected Ghana couldn't hit the side of a barn just like 2010. By the time they play Portugal they will get a couple of scores with the same play.

4. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played terribly
    Our two forwards both suffered injuries
    One of our CB's went out injured (maybe preventative)

We still won

JK will make the tactical adjustment necessary to produce and compete come Sunday.

God Bless America

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong bro, while Jozy wasn't scoring, up until Nigeria, his holdup play had improved over the last season and his physicality, holdup play and ability to bring others into play, goals or not, were and are very important to us.

As we saw, AJ brought none of that. Some just don't see the value in something until it's gone. Only other players capable of bringing something similar are Boyd and Agudelo.

Also, the Men of the USA, whatever the hell that term is supposed to mean, are Jozy/Clint/Mike/Jones/Howard, our spine. Could add Fabian and Cameron to that.

6. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    The key part about this match, for me, was Ghana's poor set piece defense.

The set pieces from the corner, they had the useless 1 man wall, and he seemed not to be blocking a cross or the nearside post. That was open for a shot if we had a player who could curl it in from there. I believe we have a few, but we didn't try on that play. In 2006 from the same spot they had a 2-3 man walls and 7 players in the box defending on set plays from the sides.

The corners they were defending with just 6 men for most of the game. That's one of our strengths, so you would expect them to have treated it like a bigger part of the game to eliminate. On the last set piece they added a 7th, but It ends up costing them in the end as there were really 2-3 US players uncovered in the box as that corner came through. Early on they had no one on the posts. At the end of the game they had a player at the near post, but as the kick came across he was outside of the near post and not in position to do anything anyway. If he is inside of the post covering the near side, perhaps their keeper is spaced back a little further and in position to make a play. I think they were just completely in a mental lapse on the play.

One of the few ways they could lose at that point in the game would be to give up a goal off of that corner. They were in complete control of momentum. With no one to play a short ball to why they don't have 8/9 in the box and 1 free runner is beyond me. If they bunker up there and defend that set piece play they leave with a hard earned point. They might have even been able to spring a counter afterwards.

In 2006 trying to hold onto their lead Ghana had 2 men at the posts and 7 men defending the corner, and that was with a man out covering for a short corner, as well. Instead at this point there was light marking, and they only had 1 on the near post and 6 defending deep in the box in that play, so we were able to take advantage of the gap and get a fortunate win.

I was confused early on by their lack of defending on set pieces. I had forgotten about it up until the corner, and went back to check the highlights to see if they had guys on the posts. It doesn't looked like anyone but 1 of the Ghanians was defending on the corner, and the ball went just slightly over his head. Everyone else was flat footed and confused.

Gilmoy repped this.
  7. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    Psyched about the win, and definitely wanting to keep it positive, at least for a couple days! Even with 3 points today, we will need to play better versus Portugal. And guess what, we WILL play better versus Portugal. Looking at you, Mikey. You too, Bacon--here's your moment. Take a lesson from JAB and seize it. USA on 6 points and qualified on Sunday!

~OGx3

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    or breaking his nose...

orcrist and Lothar is 1 repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Folks who discount Jozy contribution to this team should rewatch the game. Big drag, dat.

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A whole bunch of the American-born contingent seemed to get hurt, and most of them were pulling hamstrings. There were the Altidore and Besler subs and Dempsey's broken nose, and I saw Bedoya and Cameron limping with apparent hamstring problems.

The fact that all the non-contact injuries seemed to be almost identical suggests something wrong with either the training or the medical staff... or a Ghanaian witch doctor intervening.

12. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    We scored in less than 30 seconds in the run of play with Beasley, Jones and Dempsey combining...no target forward in the scene.

And second goal was off a set piece. Definitely we have chances against Portugal.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he def did the works on Portugal but what has he got planned for Germany?

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I feel for Jozy. Not just for his loss to the team. But just the potential of him scoring a goal. You just know how much of a morale boost that would have been. Especially with the new club season. And the role he'd contribute to helping us out of the group stage.

Border Guard repped this.
  15. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I liked this game by the USA. Didn't like the result as it hurts my team (Portugal) but damn do I appreciate seeing a nice example of strong brotherhood and masculine unity and that was very evident in the US team chemistry. I had serious doubts about them, but they proved me, and other doubters, wrong just with this one win. They can lose to Portugal and Germany and still have shut some people up. This WC is starting to look great already for you guys, enjoy the shit out of it.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, give it a rest.

17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Dear Jurgen Klinsmann,

You pass. Well done.

Signed,

The Hachiko.

Gilmoy repped this.
  18. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a which doctor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we got a John Brook
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.

21. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent call

22. gunnerstahl

gunnerstahl Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Can't really expect too much from him when we barely had possession or successful passing in the final 3rd.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Beckerman = Frankie Heydude 2.0

The Clientele and Aduesque repped this.
  24. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We couldn't have use the American satanic doctor to give us good health through the tourney. There witch doctor don't have that kind of pull but yeah, our American born lads were getting hurt left and right.

25. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without the speed and more size but I get what you are saying.

Anyway,

[​IMG]

Go NATS!