PBP: Matchday 1: Chelsea vs. Burnley

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Those two but also the 'fight' we had as the match progressed. Of course, that started out in the wrong way with Gaz's foul but, even so, you need to have some determination not to be beaten and we showed that today.

2. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Forgot about Pedro. Was just a knock on the ankle for him so he could realistically be back. I don't think we were given any sort of time range with that injury.

Personally, I feel that taking Luiz out of the center of the backline is very risky in a match against a high quality side like Spurs. Don't get me wrong, Christensen was pretty great today, but that's a big reshuffle of arguably the most important area of the field with 3 at the back. Technical abilities and positioning/marking aside, taking Luiz out with Cahill already missing is a big change for the team mentally imo

3. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just watching MOTD... Didn't even show the Jimmy Arfield challenge. Was interesting to note on the re-watch that Cahill takes a little shove that leads to him stretching for the ball and missing, and that Vokes is miles offside before the Fabregas second yellow.

Now both players made poor tackles that I think the referee responded correctly to, but he missed the lead-up.

4. Doppel6

Doppel6 Member

Chelsea
    Aug 2, 2017
    Personally, I wish there was a way to not have Dave in a back three against Spurs. I would be fine with Rudiger, Christensen, and Luiz in some form, but we can't leave Dave on the bench.

Out of curiosity, do you see us lining up in a four-at-the-back formation any time this season? I believe the commentators said we were in one later in today's match.

5. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...additional: they've since shown the Arfield one in the discussion section. MASSIVE surprise that Shearer and Wright both said there was nothing in it.

6. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm shocked I tell ya. SHOCKED!

7. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Watched the game on DVR (parents in town). That escalated quickly, didn't it? The first half was just as bad as it could get, but Morata in the second was everything we could have hoped for and I've never seen a team play harder for that equalizer. It made me feel a glimmer of hope. If we could just wrap up that Drinkwater deal, I think we're home free.

P.S. The read-thru of this thread was entertaining as hell...hollow optimism to desperation to straight-up madness.

8. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    wut

Rman3349 repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought Cahill was tugged back by the guy and that was partly why he was leaning back while he was stretching. TBH, though, he'd tried to do too much and 'force the issue', as the phrase has it. It was a straight red IMO, regardless of the reasons behind it.

When I watched I couldn't be sure precisely where Vokes was when the guy heads it forward. The main criticism I have of Fab was the first YC for clapping. That, for a player of his experience, was bloody silly.

cokeyounut repped this.
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you sure you're not making the same mistake fans often make with players? Y'know, that of imagining a player gets better and better the more he doesn't play?

'Oh, if only we had 'X' playing... he'd have made all the difference'.

I mean, I like Drinkwater and all that... I'm just not sure he's going to make that much difference.
    Really? I thought we started out at madness! :eek:

:giggle:

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

12. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Granted, I don't despise Drinkwater like the rest do, but this was intended as mild sarcasm. I forgot this wasn't the transfer thread.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Threads here all tend to blend into one, dude :D

I wouldn't mind having the guy too, (as much as anything because I think we need to increase our home-grown content as the fans have more affinity with the team and are more forgiving and don't get on the players back as much when things go badly), but I see him as more of another Kante. Not somebody who's going to break down a side or pick out a pass which is more what we need atm.

YMMV :)

14. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    That's always been my position, he'd be great depth in a season with three cup competitions to manage...I just don't see any reason he'd want to come to sit the bench for a few dollars more than he's making now. It's not even a lateral move.

15. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    but we had players like RLC and Chalboah for that. . .unless we are upgrading what is the point of Daniel Drinkwater? Chalboah played a tidy game for Watford.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're preaching to the choir here mate :D

Yeah, you'd like to think that RLC will come back and be given a chance but, y'know... we'll see.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I assumed you were being sarcastic, yes.

18. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Of course, but they're gone. I'm not lobbying for him, per se, just defending him from claims he's the soccer anti-Christ.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He'd be a useful addition and add to our depth IMO. As you say, some people seem to lose the plot with some of these guys.

Yahtzee repped this.
  20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    He's not. He also has no business playing for the club.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'm a little glad I missed this one. Phew.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Probably for the best, yes :(

23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    well we are also talking about a player that decided to chip a ball (fairly accurately mind you) in to the ref in the middle of a scrum and get sent off so......

but seriously, that type of sarcasm gets ignored all the time, and the ref knew the context, he could have easily given him a warning but there was NO communication about it. power trip, didn't want his authoritah questioned.