Matchday 1 / August 11, 2019: Manchester United v. Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm sorry but you have on your American rose tinted glasses - with all due respect starting for the US national team is not the same as starting for some other national teams. I have high expectations of the young players we have but your expectations may just bring you disappointment, I can see the boys talent but really I am YET to see the player you proclaim him to be.

2. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pulisic has also done things such as play in the Champion's League and impress against teams like Real Madrid.. he doesn't need protecting.

Yes.. I firmly believe he is a class above the likes of Barkley. Indignant? Not necessarily, but I harbor no doubts that he will assert himself as one of the first names on the team sheet sooner than later.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    1. This argument makes no sense considering that Mason Mount has never played a Premier League game either.
    2. Your argument for Germany being a very top heavy league simply isn't true - take a look at the points breakdown for last season. The years of Bayern finishing 30 points ahead of the 2nd placed team are long gone. There is simply no basis in fact for declaring that Germany is a two man league. We barely beat Frankfurt in the Europa semis last year. They finished 6th in their league.
    3. I'm not sure why we're ignoring Pulisic's CL/national team experience. Are those not tough games?

The point is not that Pulisic is the second coming of Jesus, but rather than the explanations coming out of the Chelsea camp don't add up. "We need to put a damper on expectations of the young players like Pulisic". OK. "We also need to start Mason Mount who has never played top league football." Wait, what?

4. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You're making a stink over nothing. No one has proclaimed him to be the second coming of Christ.

But it also isn't hard to recognize what he has achieved as someone who is 20.********ing.years.old.

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Try again. I'm not a big USMNT fan. I also haven't proclaimed him to be any kind of player.

6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is it not true though that he lost his place to another young player in Dortmund? Look I know the boy is good but he HAS to prove himself just like EVERY player he is playing alongside, even Pedro sits on the subs bench and doesn't just 'walk into' the team and have you seen his credentials!? If you guys think he is Maradonna already you are putting too much ptessure on him.

7. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And what exactly has he achieved that countless 'other' 20 year old haven't achieved?

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Literally no one is saying this. Literally. No one.

But if you think Mason Mount is already better than Messi, I think that's not quite true. See what I did there?

As for Pedro sometimes sitting on the subs bench.........what are his credentials? He's a solid player. Does anyone think he's more than that?

He's spent years now starting games for the second biggest club in Germany in the league and the CL. I hadn't realized a lot of "other" 20 year olds have done that.
    Do you think it's an accident we spent 70mm for him in January? If someone offered us half that for Mason Mount we'd tear their arm off!

9. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Literally no one has said anything close to suggesting this. Please cut the straw-man bullshit.

10. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seriously! You think he is the first 20 year old to play top league football or appear in the Champions League! Really?

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :rolleyes: We're comparing him to other players on our roster. Pretty sure they haven't.

Why are you so desperate to claim that we think he's the next Maradona? NO ONE IS SAYING THAT.

12. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I never said Mason Mount is better than Messi!!??? He has won the world cup though along with CHO and Tammy Abraham! CHO also played for England BEFORE he played for Chelsea (which rather says it all comparing internationals with Premier League don't you think?) Bayern Munich also wanted CHO rather desperately no? HOWEVER I say the same to those players too! I don't think ANY of them can expect to walk in to the team, they are all young and full of promise yes but world beaters? Not yet. The disrespect you are showing Pedro is rather alarming! He has one multiple national, european and international titles! He is a player the youngsters should aspire to be!

13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Look I honestly believe he is going to be a fabulous player for Chelsea - hopefully in 15 years we will be calling him a legend - along with the other multiple title winning legends Mount, CHO, Abraham & RLC but come on to expect so much, build them up so much or even worse dis them (Mount / Barkley) after 1 game of the season is a bit much!

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    1. No one is expecting that much from him. NO ONE. You keep just making this up. The point is that he's clearly more ready than Mount (or Abraham).
    2. No one is "dising" Mount. He wasn't ready to start and it showed. That's not his fault - he couldn't have ready to start his first game at Old Trafford with so little experience. He wasn't put into a position to succeed, so I don't blame him for not succeeding. The question is the process by which the manager made the decision to start him.
    3. Barkley is a very underwhelming player, and isn't young - he's about to turn 26. He should be a difference maker in his prime. Instead he isn't really anything more than a backup. There's a reason why Barkley cost so little when we bought him.
    4. To repeat - no one is expecting that much from Pulisic. We're suggesting he's considerably more advanced than the other young players Lampard started. Which is obvious - the club paid 70mm for him. He'd better be.

15. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley was the best player pre-season, you can't seem to see it, Mason Mount also had a very good pre-season I'm sure that's why they were picked. The team did somewhat 'fall apart' after Barkely left the field no?

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

one loss still count as only 3 points lost:confused::confused::confused:

y'all got the lyrics to the song wrong it is not:
    "We're a whingy bunch of bastards when we lose

17. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I saw enough to actually feel optimistic about this young team - Manchester United weren't 'better' but their experience certainly showed! We HAVE to give them time but I do expect steady improvement - next season is what I'm looking forward to :)

18. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Have you always been this ridiculous? Suggesting Barkley was what was keeping the team together.. yikes

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Pulisic had no worse of a preseason than Barkley or Mount. The team didn't fall apart after Barkley left the field, unless he was playing defense.

Your arguments are moving all over the place now. A solid sign.

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :confused: Their starting XI was younger than ours!

21. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm sorry but your constant dig at Barkely and (to a slightly lesser extent Mount) while your 'bigging up' of Pulisic shows that you don't really understand the game, of course I seem to be of the same opinion as Frank Lampard and if you dont mind I think he probably understands the game better than you (or me for that matter).

lobomojo repped this.
  22. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Certainly a lot more experienced though!

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Barkley is a very mediocre player. I watch him plenty. I understand the game just fine.
    I haven't had any digs at Mount. He played fine and about as well as can be expected from a solid (but not great) prospect making his Premier League debut.
    My real issue, and I'll make it clear again, are with the decisions that got us to where we are.

As for "bigging up" Pulisic - we bought him for 70mm. Clearly the club thought he was worth "bigging up".

At any rate, this is a good time to end this, since you've switched to ad hominems and you no longer have any arguments beyond "you don't understand the game". Oh well, in that case. :rolleyes:

Jose Mourinho disagrees with Frank Lampard, and I think he probably understands the game better than you, or me or Frank Lampard for that matter. Hey, what do you know, that was easy! I must be right.
    Just because Frank Lampard made a choice doesn't mean it was the right one. Plenty of managers make bad choices ALL THE TIME. And we have absolutely no idea if Lampard is a good manager or not. Most good players make bad managers.

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Again, no they weren't. We had two inexperienced players (Tammy and Mount), so did they - McTominay and Pereira. There really wasn't much difference in the starting lineups in terms of experience.

25. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Some folks on here really don't like Frank as our manager. There really is a lot of negative anti-Chelsea rhetoric being spewed up on here.

We have some wonderful young players. We should allow them and our new manager a little time before having hysterical Trump-esque American meltdowns.

I'm really looking forward to this season and I think I am going to really enjoy the way we play football this year.

Crawleybus and lobomojo repped this.