Match Thread - Toronto FC at Seattle Sounders FC - May 6, 2017 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Mar 7, 2015.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What/When
    • Toronto FC (4-4-1) will pay a visit to CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Washington to take on the defending MLS Cup champion Seattle Sounders FC (2-4-2) on Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 3:00 pm EDT.
    TV/Video
    Radio/Audio

2. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Isn't it a little odd to make a team play 3500km away just 72 hours after their previous game?

3. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    odd isn't the word....and to make it worse.....MLS has, what, 8 matches on Saturday.....the early match (noon in Seattle) involves that team that played last night and then has to fly for 5 hours and change 3 time zones.

I get that ESPN probably wanted this Cup Final rematch as their match this weekend....but, jeez, competitive fairness has to be considered at some point.

4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The early start may actually be a concession to TFC because it helps minimize the impact of the time zone switch. Still, it's disappointing to have the MLS Cup rematch game skewed with the short week for one team.

I'd understand if TFC has a tough time with this one. That said, if they can pull out a win - wow! They're already playing like a top team and a win in Seattle on a short week would be an emphatic underlining of that fact.

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    With the post game yellow, is Bradley still available for this one?

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The team played on a Friday then 5 days later on a Wednesday and then 3 days later across the continent and on Turf no less? Absolutely ridiculous. Unfair isn't a strong enough word for this scheduling. TFC will have to play park the bus in Seattle otherwise they will run out of gas by half. Unfortunate to because the team is finally clicking and on a roll.

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    he is available....not sure how many yellows he has picked up this year but he is not at the suspension level yet.

8. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    860648369269559296 is not a valid tweet id

9. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bradley will get a suspension after two more yellows.

Ditto for Altidore.

TOareaFan repped this.
  10. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I guess Vanney has to stick with five at the back because Seattle's going to send wave after wave of attack.

12. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    nicely worked give and go between Chapman and Altidore....Altidore bundled over in the box...penalty....Altidore sends Frei the wrong way and it is 1-nil for the visitors!

13. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Tidy first hafl comes to an end.....1-nil.

Hard to pick between Chapman and Altidore as man of the half....but since they were dominant together forming a nice partnership....we don't have to.

14. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    good
    serves the MLS right for scheduling the way they do. You want the marquee matchup...give teams a chance to rest AND not have to travel cross continent. If MLS wanted a big game with big players they should have figured this out....Vanney figured it out and checkmate MLS.

Deleted User x repped this.
  15. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Match ends 1-nil with a very professional performance by TFC......in the end my MOTM has to go to Nick Hagglund....never put a foot wrong all day and made, what, 4 consecutive great headed clearances in the final 5 minutes as Seattle pressed hard for the equalizer.

RetreadFC repped this.
  16. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    66 hours rest
    Fly across the Continent
    Play on Turf
    No Giovinco or Vasquez

....and still win? Great performance today the team was visibly gassed in the second half and held on. Cheyrou and Jozy were beasts. Welcome back Irwin between you and Bono the goal is in great hands.

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    First in the league, fourth in PPG.

18. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I am disappointed with my team, and the referee was awful, but full marks to Toronto. Apparently you have 20 good players, not just 11, and an astute manager.

19. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This was a surprising win in many ways. Who knew the team was this deep? If you told me that Vanney would make two changes in midfield, I would've guessed that Osorio and Cooper were going to start. As it turns out Cheyrou and Chapman started and both were equal to me as men of the match.

Mavinga redeemed himself big time from the horror show against Atlanta. Hernandez was solid as well. I think the two of them today could've given any central defender who played for us from 2007-2011 a run for their money.

20. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A dominant performance with our B+ team sandwiched between two midweek eastern conference games against the team that spoiled our final no less. As impressive a win as I can remember from this club

21. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The game could have gone either way but great to see the win with the depleted line up.

It says something about the depth on this team when someone like Osorio is coming on as the sub for a backup starter.

22. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nice to see Seattle take a shot on net this time.