Match Thread - Toronto FC at Chicago Fire - August 19, 2017 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Mar 7, 2015.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

What/When
    • Toronto FC (13-8-3) will pay a visit to Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Illinois to take on the Chicago Fire (12-5-6) on Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 8:00 pm EDT.
    TV/Video
    Radio/Audio

2. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nice that Chicago's game in hand is this Wednesday in Montreal while TFC has the full week to prepare. A rare occasion where I shall be cheering for the Impact to not only win but make the match as difficult and fatiguing as possible.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Aside from the large implications for this year's league standings, this game will be a useful test of how the team might perform in the CCL. An important away game against a strong opponent. How TFC goes into this game may show us something about the attitude they'll be taking with them into Mexico later on.

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    ^CCL will be more about weather and altitude than attitude.

5. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Honestly, don't care at this point about CCL...this is a guage against one of the better teams in MLS and our only goal this year should be gunning for a championship. We were too close last year and nothing is guaranteed but you have to take your shot when you get them. Window is short. If we won last year, then CCL could be the next big challenge this year, but until we have an MLS championship nothing really matters to me (insert corny Queen lyrics here).

6. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The game against Colorado was a true test of how TFC will fare in CCL against CONCACAF opponents. Players flopping, diving, rolling around with fake injuries, and the refs completely buying all of it.

7. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    and once we have an MLS championship we'll be able to use different corny Queen lyrics.

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    At least we'll presumably have the advantage that Chicago won't be bunkering and playing for the draw.

9. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Chicago are trending in the wrong direction which might be bad news for us. They could be even more motivated on Saturday because of how badly they've beaten the past two games.

10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Or maybe they are not as good as we once thought?

11. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I do think New York is now the bigger threat based on form.

Also, I remember thinking long ago: Montreal is doing terribly this year but we don't play them until the end of the season. I bet somehow by the time we get to play them they will have managed to become a better team. And here we go. It's never easy. :)

12. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Chicago has only two wins on the road which is shocking for a team that is supposedly an MLS Cup contender. Montreal didn't just beat them, it looked like they didn't even belong on the same pitch. Chicago with tons of possession never advancing anywhere and then the Impact would go on a counter and generate a quality scoring chance every time as the Fire defenders looked like they had no idea what to do. Could it be that their success was just a mirage and this is really just last year's team which finished in last place and an aging Schweinsteiger after all?

13. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1-nil TFC at the half. Delgado' 3rd of season

15. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    3-1 Toronto is your final.

Chicago finally loses at home.

16. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    And looking at the standings, they are only six points clear of Atlanta who isn't in a playoff position and has played three fewer games!

17. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I do think that Chicago is a slightly overrated team, although much of that is because the league keeps going all fanboy over Schweingsteiger. The all-star game coverage was all about him. And it almost seems like Chicago is the new LA Galaxy for MLS.

That being said, they still are a decent team and they did have some chances last night. They are definitely a playoff team still in my opinion.

18. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think part of their slump has to do with the fact that Nikolic has stopped scoring.