Match thread: Netherlands vs Ireland, Poland and Austria.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, May 27, 2016.

1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I still think Narsingh can be a useful bench player for Oranje. He can break open games against tired defenders with his speed late in the game (see England match)

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am not sold on PVA, but his second half was better than the first half and he gave that chance to Promes.

3. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    To be fair, randomly buying a striker without much logic behind them worked out very well for the previous 2 strikers :)

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bruma is a passing tool. Wish TFM would develop there well. Bruma is not complete.

5. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I love Tete. His passing is not good enough and I must still see about his heading, but the guy stands his ground. Such a shame he can not pass/cross.

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Dijk is good in this reaction model. Heading balls away and being able to even set up counters in the future. I even want him to take a few free kicks. Promes/Berghuis suck in that department. Let Dijk get a shot at it.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am starting to slightly favor Zoet over Cillessen. I have a feeling that Zoet can make saves that Cillessen can not make. More wow in his saves. In any case, it is close.

8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wijnaldum scores again. However he so not a 10. Never seen a less dominant 10 in NT history. Good goal as the previous one against Poland. No chance of saving for the keeper. I really want more from my 10 though.

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Did Ruud suggest that Berghuis was now competition for Robben :laugh:

10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I still like how Poland clapped for our anthem. It is the little things people.

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Either way, this little awakening did go hand in hand with the arrival of Advocaat. He maybe brought some aggression and spirit with him.

12. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I cant disagree much with the analysis you are giving there DRB300, except for the weight of substance. Friendly international game is the worst and most horrible kind of soccer pretty much imo. And I just cannot bring myself to form an opinion based on these shitty friendlies. WC winners usually do poorly in pre-tournament friendlies I believe, so we might very well win the EK.........

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think deVrij/vDijk should be our 2 starting CB's.

You agree??

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think we won a lot of friendlies under van Marwijk. I think you can sue them in forming the winning habbit. So it depends. If players drop their mentality for a friendly, then that also is an indication. Van Marwijk always said: Oke, maar hoe ga je daar mee om? I like that phrase. "it is just a friendly". Alright, but how do you deal with that as a players? Then it becomes a selection criterium for a player. It puts the spotlight back on the player, rather than buying into any excuses. I stretches the mentality of players. If you see it all in that light and as a process towards a winning habit, then these matches are good building blocks. I also remind you that despite qualifying for Euro 2012, it were really the friendlies that were an indication of what was to come. Also the Sweden game, but certainly the friendlies.

Also before the campaign we lost in a stupid way to Italy and then to the Czech. We were not sharp from the start. Friendlies can point out things and they can also be used as building blocks.

15. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hmm, hard to say. De Vrij has less "thou shall not pass" mentality. Very slow turn around his axis and very slow starting speed. Bruma is bad on ball and finding the football solution.

It is close. Have to see de Vrij again and how he is in this juncture.

16. Yeah, but you know third time right, in our case third time wrong.

17. Well, he twice got Vincent in scoring position where he shouldnot be as Arjen simply would have shot at the goal himself:D

18. Yeah, and he's aggressive. Probably why Arsenal is rumoured to have an eye on him. In the England spiel he showed Wenger he just wacks English defenders out of the way:p

DRB300 repped this.
  19. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    #219 nurvin, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    I personnally agree. For the wc qualifiers in september de Vrij will recover from injury and Strootman will be fully fit; we can play vDijk-deVrij as CBs and Strootman-vGinkel in the midfield.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Where will daddy put his kid though. Only LB would be an option IMO.

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm okay with Blind as starting LB.
    IMO Stroot/vGinkel are both ahead of Blind in midfield

22. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Regarding CB, it is difficult to evaluate De Vrij now. It looks like Blind's first choice for CB are Bruma - Van Dijk. What about Blind - Van Dijk? Would this work?
    It is good to win again. It is not just about mentality and habit but also confidence. We are still a young team. With confidence this team will have a good foundation to build on. I like most about Janssen and Berghuis. They bring a fresh air and competition (e.g Memphis needs to get his act together and choose the right path) to the offense even though there are a lot of room for development. I am also hoping for the midfield of Strootman, Van Ginkel and Propper (Bazoer can be a sub). With this win, Blind will be the coach for qualification. Perhaps Blind, Advocaat and Van Basten combination may work.

Sybe Pals repped this.
  23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2 more realizations from me.

1. Tete is José Mourinho player.
    2. Now that we have become a reaction team, we can run into more trouble qualifying. In qualification it is also about the W's against the small teams. As we were always a front foot team, we often were well able to steam roll them. We are now falling back to reaction patterns and that is what we train. Switching to front foot again, can be harder. Finding those patterns again and all. One of reasons a Portugal often grabbed less points in qualification than us. In the past I have looked at their qualification and they showed having trouble. They are not as much as a front foot team as us and are well equipped to deal with heavy weights maybe (apart from Germany), but then disappoint against weaker teams. We could now also get this. This was a reaction win. Poland was a reaction win. Ireland was less reaction. We had to make the game more and we were dreadful. Not even able to win against Ireland. This can repeat itself in the future against the weak boys. I don't know about Sweden wanting to make the game, but Bulgaria and Belarus can suddenly be hurdles. Yes even Luxembourg. France will make the game and we can do our thing, but beyond that, not sure this reaction model will benefit us greatly in qualification. Same as during the WC. We won against Spain, however sucked vs Australia and Costa Rica. So to now start clapping for Blind after a win vs England, 1 draw and 2 wins in these friendlies is too soon. He might well put us on a road that is not optimal in Euro qualification.

24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't get the Bazoer over van Ginkel thing. Bazoer in 3 games did not threat to score 1 goal. Van Ginkel came on and was almost there. If we start to blame van Ginkel for the conceded goal vs Ireland (that is as much on Blind and his lousy corner tactics), then Bazoer in this Austria match would have killed us otherwise. That shirt pull vs a Spain is a pen and maybe red or certainly yellow. As some other stuff he did. Plus he let Alaba schoot at goal. Another time he let a man go and Zoet got injured. His passing his awful. Too soft, behind the man and always to the next station, even preferable behind him, not skipping stations and in front of him.

This is a weird. Something is not right.

How about Strootman, Ginkel and Propper?

25. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Brilliant Dutch mate if you are OK with Daley Blind starting at LB ,might as well kiss goodbye to WC. I think this is where dannys credilibity as coach will be a tested.