Match thread: Netherlands vs Ireland, Poland and Austria.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, May 27, 2016.

1. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One word midfield.

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am still shocked how bad this was. This really sucks. On another forum somebody makes a good point. The organisation with the corner sucked and that is on Blind as well. The goal of van Dijk could have been prevented with a better organisation in the 5 meter area. Remember how organisation with corners against the Czech sucked in the first qualification game. That was no coincidence and Blind did not let that go to get Hiddink out to then get it right when leading himself. He really has no clue.

Sickening this level of coaching.

bunbohue repped this.
  3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^Don't get me wrong; he is not a good coach. However, this is the least of the problems these days.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think it is the nr 1 problem.

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  6. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A friend of mine was at the match, I feel sorry for him. What a waste of time.

Pathetic performance, if you can even call it that.

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was gonna say Holland cant even beat a team thats made of players who are from Stoke, Norwich and of Southampton.

But then I remember Holland are made up of players who are from Stoke, Norwich and Southampton

Orange14, Sybe Pals and DRB300 repped this.
  8. Abhirup

Abhirup Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Kolkata
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I think our U-19 team would have trounced this ROI side...At least they know how to penetrate in the attacking third, something that has long been the hallmark of the Dutch NT. A midfield consisting of three B2B midfielders reeks of the sterile philosophy instilled by De Boer and Van Gaal. I hope and pray that all the Van Gaal followers are kicked out from all levels of the KNVB youth programs. This is just pathetic...
    And yes, this is down to Blind's organizational and tactical ineptitude. How can we be so so shite at set-pieces? Each and every f***ing set-piece leads to anarchy and mayhem in our box. Van Dijk is not a poor defender. He deals with tough aerial balls on a regular basis at Southampton. This is nothing but organizational failure.
    Stroot and Van Ginkel should be permanent in midfield with a playmaker, who can penetrate the opposition defence, in front of them. TFM, Tete and Kongolo all are badly needed during qualifications.
    If Plan B is hoofing the ball up to find an equalizer, I'm sorry to say that we've become Scotland/Ireland/England

DRB300 and Antario2 repped this.
  9. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wooo 2 games now without a defeat, first time for Blind as manager so I guess we are turning a corner ? o_O

But no clean sheets yet, even with 5 at the back or defensive 433.. maybe should consider working out those set pieces, and esp against sides who are known for focusing on set pieces? Really dont want to see anymore clips of training in portugal with juggling tennis ball drills until all of these basics are dealt with!

At the least it was nice to see Strootman back and looking bossy, as a captain should, although ultimately unable to inspire. In his 70 mins made more passes than any other player all game from either team and with 88% completed. I failed to notice who he gave the arm band to, can someone remember?
    Too bad he was with Wijnaldum and Bazoer going forward, with neither making much effort to create space, make any penetrating runs, or get the ball to their striker. Defensively his positioning is really good and opposing mids avoid him, did well to prevent any real attacks against us, with Ireland only really dangerous on set pieces from really awful clearances or dumb fouls in our own half.
    But I hope we see Strootman with van Ginkel and Vilhena next match.

Maybe 442 suits this group of players better..
    Would like to try a back 4 of :
    Tete-Veltman-van Dijk-van Aanholt
    or sort of 4132 with:
    Strootman
    Promes-v Ginkel-Vilhena
    L de Jong-Janssen

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We'll be back, folks. Give it another 5 to 10 years or so, but we'll be back

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That Luukinho header was sick.
    How much space and how many hours did he have to head that in??

Funny thing is, he headed it right at the keeper too.
    He was just lucky he didnt get a hand to it......LOL

12. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

Blind is not even properly pissed. Advocaat was even joking with some Irish players after the game that he knew. What kind of losers do we have in the technical staff? Where is the will to win? Being pissed after a draw?

13. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mentality is a huge problem.
    Many of the current team has had very poor seasons.
    Depay shite. Wijnaldum relegation, but it's really Blind who clearly has no clue.
    Where is the pressing, quick, dynamic passing and movement, and the athletic players?
    How do we continue to look so lethargic, slow, lost, and down right tactically unaware?
    Fecking disgrace Blind.
    Some of these players are not piss poor, it's a bad dressing room based on weak leadership and tactical cluelessness.
    Get rid of this twat.

DRB300 repped this.
  14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I never understood why Foppe de Haan never got a chance to coach Oranje

DRB300 repped this.
  15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    not part of the "old boys' network" and when he would have inevitably succeeded it would have reflected badly on the status quo. Pretty much the same way Ajax have operated over the last dozen years. Do just enough and everyone will overlook the dysfunction.

16. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Blind is responsible for this weak, slow mentality.
    All of sudden Oranje who rarely lose play utter shite?
    Certainly there is a drop in quality especially at the #9 but it's beyond acceptable this level of performance.

Sybe Pals and DRB300 repped this.
  17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #MOGA

Make Oranje Great Again

Orange14 repped this.
  18. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just like players , you have to be coaching Ajax,Feyenoord or PSV at least.

19. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Every time Ireland had a corner I was worried. I still believe coaching can help to position players better, providing coverage better to make up for the lack of talent. I was very disappointed. I did not see the passion, the fighting spirit and we were clueless when we were in Ireland's half. I do not see how we can earn 2nd place after France. My only hope is that we are going to lose the next 2 and Blind gets sacked and KNVB fires its president. If we cannot find a good Dutch coach, perhaps it is time to look for a non-Dutch coach.

20. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :thumbsup:

21. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    #46 Laurent75, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Ireland and Scotland have always been dangerous in corner kicks, not only against Holland. I really don't believe that this is due to a bad dutch coaching, people tend to overate the importance of coachs in modern football, there's a guy who wrote a book about the scam of coachs nowadays saying that any assisant or even player could do the same job, but I don't remember his name... Coachs are important for giving a tactic, boosting mental, picking the right players, giving a certain color and direction to a team...but they don't intervene on the field. Players who are 25/35 yo know their job, they know how to position on the field and adapt to situations, they don't need coachs for that. They've been learning it for long years.

Van Dijk and Bruma know how to defend on a corner kick, they're doing it the whole year long with their clubs, it's not as if Blind was telling them to defend differently, there aren't 1001 ways to defend on a corner kick. Holland is suffering on corner kicks now because of the pressure, the pressure of a team that will miss a major tournament and knows it's a crisis period, a transition one with low quality. You can pick other players and another coach, it won't remove the pressure.

When France had this period in 2006-2012, even teams like Lithuania became dangerous and could get draws in the Stade de France. Thuram and Gallas who were two experienced defenders could make the biggest amateur mistakes behind without anyone being able to explain why. And the people who insulted Domenech and labeled him as clown were the same ones praising him when he reached WC 2006 finale. When he had Zidane who was to France what Robben is to Holland now. So how to explain it ? Did Domenech suddenly become a terrible coach few years after reaching a WC finale ?

Orange14 repped this.
  22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Laurent75 post above is exactly spot on IMO. It was what I was trying to say all along. Blind, while not a good choice as NT manager, is hardly at fault for the individual performance breakdowns that are a function of the player's skill and motivation. Defending set pieces is not something that a manager should have to spend lots of time working on. this is a fundamental skill that has to be learned at the club level.

The far more fundamental problem is that this current squad is lacking in quality. As I said, if you don't have decent midfielders that can be put on the pitch the team is doomed to failure.

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I disagree. The "Robben-not the coach theory" should also show in games like against Romania away where we won 1-4 and were lethal, among other games if I start to look closer. It does not hold. It only explains a deep run into the WC, not losing against noob teams.

If the Czech away game is not a sign of bad organisation with standard situations, then nothing is.

We keep conceding, we made a clear error in the 5 meter area, where incoming players were not caught and where the Irish were a constant danger, despite our length. Dijk, Bruma, Strootman are not small.

On top of organisation is the way Blind talks. He is a manager, not an inspirational leader or somebody that strikes fear in people. No carrot, no stick.

He also communicates being a loser. His body language, the way he is kind of indifferent to losses. Or does not get angry about something, only disappointed and translates that in negative body language.

No. This team can do better with another coach. There are many cases this is not the case, but in this situation it is. Reports about coaching switches not making a difference are not accurate enough. Of course it matters to have great experts in your field in control of a team or not. So Leicester would have won the EPL with the ball boy leading the team?

By the way, did I hear that Domenech used astrology in his decision making? I hope that was a joke, but otherwise, yes he is a clown. Same with people thinking homeopathy works.

richsavare repped this.
  24. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    #49 Laurent75, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    It's not only Robben, even if he was like 80 % of the team. Van Gaal also had Sneijder, VDV, Huntelaar and RVP in a better form than when Hiddink/Blind got them. I remember that game against Romania and I just checked the highlights again, and there were 2 assists and one goal by Van Der Vaart, and one goal by RVP...

Remember that game Holland 6-0 Latvia that Hiddink won. Robben, RVP and Sneijder on the pitch. That was typically the type of games Van Gaal won during the WC qualifiers against Hungary for example.

Twist your reasoning and explain how Hiddink beat 2-0 Spain while being a terrible coach the other games, or even how Blind beat England without any of the 80/85 players while being terrible the other games...

Van Gaal was absolutly able to lose against noobs teams as well, remember that game in Estonia 2-2 where RVP equalized in the additionnal time. Remember the friendly against Ecuador 1-1 where Holland really struggled during the first half. Didn't lose, but was so close.

At the end of the day, of course Van Gaal had a much better balance sheet than Hiddink/Blind, but I didn't necessarly feel more secure with him. Some great victories during the qualifiers (even though Romania and Hungary were pretty weak) but showed a lot of weaknesses during some friendlies. Couldn't beat any big team : Lost to Belgium and France, draw against Italy, Germany and Portugal. 5 games against strong teams, 0 win. So someone pragmatic could argue and say Hiddink/Blind beat Spain and England in friendlies at least.

I'm really not sure whether Van Gaal would have qualified Holland to the EC or not. Remember how irregular he is. Reached CL finale with Bayern (thanks to Robben) and six months later was at the 9th place of the bundesliga ranking (Robben injured). Would be totally able to fail in my opinion.

Orange14 repped this.
  25. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The England game is one of the few games in past decades I have not watched (I might look it sometime), but my guess is that Netherlands could sit back and just attack a few times from the counter. Then the compactness is done for the coach. With noob teams you have to organize better, since you attack and discipline the midfield and defense to stay compact with attack.

You name 2 games van Gaal struggled and his second year at Bayern without Robben. There were more problems with van Gaal. He also messed up the CB situation. He had many injuries. His transfer behavior bit him and with NT football that is not an element. However with Blind we go at much lower levels. Iceland and Czech (with 10 men) at home. How many years did we not lose at home in Euro qualifying? Like, decades or something? I saw that it broke a chain of a huge amount of years. Here is the actual list:

Link

Notice all the red dots being in away games except Luxembourg of all countries in 1963. That is more than 50 years ago. Also notice that happened once. Blind did it twice in a row against 10 Czech for a stretch of time. Are you kidding me? Are you actually kidding me? This piece of sh*t Blind is record breaking loser who is backed up by his buddy Oostveen and should have had the decency to go away with his head down after failing. It is an outrage and the fact that Blind could stay means that we are not a top sport country. We are not elite. Elite countries do not reward such failure or gloss over it. All people involved must go. A country like the Netherlands can never have this lower limit. Never. Then there have happened many mistakes along the road that are missed red flags.

However this game result assessment to prove certain things, does not express well enough what is at hand. It is not accurate enough. We have to look at the games. The organisation. The 5 meter occupation. The short corner answering. The compactness of the team. The turn over quickness. The energy with which the team plays. Things that are not in order. Blind has no authority or inspiration. Where is the desire in the team? Why did they slow down (except Cillessen) towards the 90th minute and not properly go for a win? Same loser stuff as letting France come back after signing off or the USA. There is a wrong energy in the team. "Oh well" mentality. Exactly how Blind reacts. Analyzing like accountant. At a certain point you must get irrational when certain lower limits get broken. Give players the hairdryer treatment. Blind would make 0 impression on me. His staff is badly chosen, with van Basten and van Nistelrooy. Now this man that made me hate the NT in 2004, Advocaat. A professional coward.

On top of all this, why did he not start with Stroot and van Ginkel in midfield? Bazoer comes into the ball and Wijnaldum as well. So, no balance and midfield indeed sucked. You need off ball players. You need players that make deep runs at make themselves available again further up the field. Otherwise you get this mindless passing at the back all the time and wall passing towards players under you. How many times does Wijnaldum have to prove he has a disappearing act in his locker? He made that midfield. He choose Berghuis who showed after 10 minutes not to have the speed to get passed his man.

Blind is a disaster. Bad coach, bad staff selection, bad player selection, bad football, bad energy and bad results.Guy is turd and needs to go ASAP.

richsavare and Parel repped this.