Match Thread - CCL - Toronto FC at Tigres UANL - March 13, 2018 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Mar 7, 2015.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What/When
    • Toronto FC will pay a visit to Estadio Universitario in Monterrey, Mexico to take on Tigres UANL of Mexico in the second leg of a 2018 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 tie on Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 10:00 pm EST.
    • Toronto FC leads 2-1 on aggregate.
    TV/Video
    Radio/Audio
    • None as of yet

2. freakyflow

freakyflow Member

Jul 10, 2009
    az
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to be tough.

4. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough having to burn a sub so early with Morrow injury.
    Zavaleta always makes me a bit nervous.

6. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A statement result at The Volcano.

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Morrow and Mavinga getting hurt really screwed up our defensive strategy but getting gassed so early really put us behind the ball. That said pure guts and heart to advance. I'm not happy that we blew the 2-1 lead so late but Tigres was going all out and we were cooked.

Hopefully we get more into shape before America and get a better result at BMO because Azteca is the worst place to play away in this continent... maybe hemisphere.

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a bit over the top...but I understand the sentiment:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/an-extraordinary-result-toronto-fc-stuns-tigres-inside-the-volcano-to-advance-in-champions-league

MONTERREY – This was a referendum on a league and its champion – the undisputed greatest side in MLS history. It was a match, a situation, Toronto FC wanted to be in: A do-or-die return leg at a Liga MX venue nicknamed “The Volcano” – the ultimate test versus the best on offer in Mexico, if not the Americas. It was the most expensive MLS roster against a Tigres roster whose purse is twice as large. The result: A night that will live in MLS lore, one that validated TFC not just as the top club in MLS, but one of the top sides in this confederation

9. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It was a great result where before the game you would think need a little luck and some set play magic from Seba to help us move on which is what happened. Looking forward to next challenge more likely vs Club America

10. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This team has gotten so good in recent years I've forgotten what it was like to have Seba carry us on his back. Outstanding performance, Tigres could hardly get near him.

Couple other things: Osorio has really come of age in this series especially. His pass to spring Seba for the own goal was perfect. Also I've always doubted Auro's defensive capabilities but he held his own tonight. He'll probably need to play on the left a lot if Morrow is out for a while but I would firmly take him over Van de Weil at the RB/RWB slot

Deleted User x repped this.
  11. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    I'm calling him the MLS Messi.

The extraordinary thing is that he hardly missed a step at LB. I'd also take him over VdW on the right when Morrow returns. His offence is on another level than Morrow and VdW wherever he plays.