Match That Never Happened: Brazil 1970 vs Netherlands 1974

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by MatthausSammer, Jan 8, 2013.

1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To a small degree, this debate has already been decided in the WC of 1974, when the Netherlands defeated Brazil. But Brazil 1974 was a different beast than Brazil 1970, and missed a couple of key players like Pele and Carlos Alberto, with those who were left over being older and slower than they had been in 1970. So the interesting debate would be would the Dutch side of 1974 had been able to overcome the Brazillian side of 1970? My personal opinion is that Brazil would've edged the Dutch through a moment of class brilliance and would've won by a a margin of one goal. What does BigSoccer think?

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    It's hard to compare both teams, but one thing is for sure, one team won and the other one didn't. Also the team from 1970 to 1974 to 1978 looked completely different, while the dutch team didn't make the 1970, then had back to back years with little change and was competitive. Cruyff himself only playing in 1 WC for his career.

And the 1978 Dutch team went to the finals but didn't really impress on the way there, while the 78 Brazil team didn't lose a game and got third place.

Granted Cruyff makes a huge difference on the team, but also does not having CA or Pele.

I think the 78 Brazil team is superior to the Dutch 78 team, and I feel that the 70s Brazil team is vastly superior to the 78 Brazil team.

So since I see the 74 and 78 dutch team being the same minus Cruyff, I would vote for 70s Brazil

3. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1974 dutch team is way overrated for having won nothing

[]__[]

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    it was a very good question for all of us ... football enthusiasts ...

For me, as much as I was impressed and supported Holland74 *at time Cruijff was my hero they did LOSE to Germany 74. Now let's take a look further to see how Brazil70 would fare with Holland74 and Germany 74.
    1- Historically from 63-73: Brazil vs Germany W4 D1 L1
    So out of the Brazil70 squad: Pele scored 2goals+2ass/3ames, Tostao scored 1goal+1as/2games, and Eduardo scored 2goals/2games)
    ==> Hence Brazil70 will beat Germany 74 by 2-1

2- Based on the above results and scorers, Brazil70 would have a big chance to beat Holland74 as well. Maybe like Brazil70 5 Holland74 3

5. moodiomemo

moodiomemo Member

sao paulo fc
    Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    remember in 1970 brazil had the best adaptation to the mexico and they have the best physical condition of all teams
    im not 100% sure if holland will be good in that mexican wheather condition
    in their prime both teams i believe will be a wonderful match
    I believe brazil beat holland 3-2

6. moodiomemo

moodiomemo Member

sao paulo fc
    Jul 15, 2007
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i did a tactical board
    great duels in the right side
    in the midfield will be a interesting situation
    Cruyff alone against 2 brazilian defenders betters than 1974 defenders(marinho and luiz pereira
    Pele alone too but i believe with more freedom to create and most dangerous than cruyff in this picture
    Remember Rivellino play in 1974 in the midfield and as left winger in 1970

[​IMG]