'Match-fixing' players banned for life

Discussion in 'Korean Domestic Leagues' started by Chingoo, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Kim Young Kwon

2. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Im so sad shit like this is connected with a player I like alot. Even if Hong Jeong Ho is proven innocent, things wont be the same. He wont be picked for KNT for a while nor will he get playing time with Jeju Utd for a while.
    I feel luck is not with Hong Jeong Ho. Luck is just not with Hong...

3. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    ^ I'm trying my best to think optimistically of all this. But from reading chosun ilbo this morning, the prosecutors appear to hold evidence of match fixing during last year's Jeju-Seoul match.

When there's smoke, there's often fire, and regardless of how it turns out, you have to wonder why his name has even come up on this.

His manager's words this morning also shows that he has doubts regarding HJH's credibility, especially as he reflects back on that Jeju-Seoul match.

It's all very unsettling, and I'm going to expect the worst but hope it doesn't happen... :(

4. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    And one of the stories on chosun ilbo today states that HJH was initially offered money before the match, which he took, but then handed back before the match. After they lost 5-1, the broker gave him the money for the second time, but he refused to take it.

I guess we'll know soon once the report comes out from the prosecutors (or perhaps we'll never get to know the truth)...

5. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    New Yorker in Jeju, South Korea
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm praying that Hong Jeong-Ho is innocent, I don't think I can bear to know that one of the players in a team I value more than any of the European teams is involved with this sh*t. An influential player at that.

I'm still expecting the worst like everyone else, and I'm hoping Jeju United can find a decent CB to replace him if he's found guilty, God forbid.

6. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  7. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I am so so so so so so so so so relieved.

Can you imagine how Hong Jeong Ho would have felt the last few days...the fucking media on his back...fucking media...

8. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Plus he actually showed what a good guy he is for giving back the money and refusing to take part in match-fixing. Good on him.

9. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    I guess we'll be seeing him this weekend

10. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nope. Park Kyung Hoon said he will be excluded for a while probably because Hong Jeong Ho needs to be rested. Plus he has a little back injury (which he carried throughout the Jordan Olympic qualifiers).

11. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Ty for the info. Hope to see KYK start at CB instead of LB vs Japan this weekend then.

12. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    vs Japan? we're playing Japan this weekend???!

13. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    rofl thought it was this month.

14. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQMPGyjFRoo&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - ‪Hong Jeong Ho: Korea's Young CB Star‬‏[/ame]

15. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  16. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Oh thank God, Hong Jeong-Ho's in the clear! Yeah, I'm a bit late on the news, but it's great knowing Jeju United is squeaky clean of any of this mess. ^^

17. footballchic

footballchic Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Bruges
    Club:
    CFR 1907 Cluj
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    you didn't seem to agree that there were probably others involved in this scandal. but now we've seen at least a few cases involving capped players that dubiously "disappeared" without incident.

if the case against Jeong-ho was resolved that easily despite evidence of having taking money; and this after other capped players were dubiously absolved, then this will open up speculation that some are being given favorable treatment.

18. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah, maybe because he was PROVEN INNOCENT. Go troll somewhere else.

Still have a grudge against the entire foundation of the K-League along with most, if not all, of its players? Then go get a seat in the KFA and do something about it. Troll.

19. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    He hasn't been found innocent yet

20. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I know HJH's your fave. But, he hasn't been absolved yet. Every month, more players are getting indicted. And the investigative net is only going to widen. I feel that the media has actually tread very carefully w/r/t HJH. But I feel that his story just doesn't add up. And at the very least, he's exercised extremely poor judgement already.

And given how CKR has been subtly hinting at excluding him even before the initial reports trickled out as well as Jeju's hesitance to fully back him when the initial reports came out, I fear for the worst.

In any case, neither HJH nor YBGR are in the clear. And they won't be until the national prosecutors end their investigation and hopefully absolve them. We'll find out sooner than later as it appears that their respective clubs are next to be carefully scrutinised for suspicious activities.

Btw, Choi SK has managed to land in the NYT and USA Today along with the 45 other bastards who just got indicted this week. If it turns out that Choi Sung Kuk was a broker (as recent reports suggest), he should receive additional punishment for obstruction of justice and/or perjury (not sure how Korean criminal law works). :mad:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2011-07-07-3556441528_x.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/sports/soccer/08iht-soccer08.html

21. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    goddamit my friends have been giving me non stop shit about this since espn did a story on it. Now its on NYTimes! GAH!!

Btw, Choi Sung Guk is still saying he isn't guilty.

22. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Daum and Naver were saying he was cleared after admitting that he was approached but he refused and "gave back the money" immediately.... :cool:

23. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Other than the retard that is Choi Sung-Kuk how many former KNT players are implicated in this ?

24. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Implicated of indicted? Implicated - a handful.

Indicted - 2 thus far: Kim Dong Hyun and Choi Sung Kuk