Match Day: USSF Div 2 playoffs Montreal @ Austin second leg. KO 7:30 CST

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Alejo, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His dulcet tones sent shivers down my spine.

2. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you did great. :)

3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was crap.

...oh, wait, what?

;)

4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Agreed. Can't believe that guy isn't playing at a higher level. 13 goals in 9 games?

On the down side, the simulation by Pizzolito was a real low point in terms of behavior on the pitch this season. How is it that a guy like that is the captain. Perhaps we can draw some insight into question by noting that the goalie substitution/stalling was completely premeditated. The coach sent the backup goalie to warm up about 3 min before the starting goalie suddenly fell to his knee.

I guess one man's "crafty gamesmanship" is another man's poor sportsmanship.

5. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree on premeditated. Jordan was clutching at his hamstring and trying to keep it limber for a while before he came off. They even had another player taking goal kicks. I think he had a legit injury. Now, did they waste time during the sub, yes, absolutely. But it was a legit sub.

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I thought we played long ball most of this and two other matches that I have watched. Montreal was the better team that played soccer and they won.

7. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    LOL.

What's funny was that I was staring at the roster in the first half and felt relieved that I wasn't going to have to announce Srdjan Djekanovic (their backup GK) because, well, the backup GK hardly ever plays.... And then of course he had to be summoned in the second half to play!

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's easy. Those East Euro names, you usually pronounce 'j' as 'y'. Though with that one, I'm not sure that actually makes it any easier!

9. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You better watch your mouth VioletCrown, or else mgrayscale will announce TexasBarcaFan as his new co-host of "In The Mixer".

:D

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, our skinny field makes it very nearly impossible to play any other way. I was really pleased to see Olum and Alvarez work the ball through the middle a few times very nicely. But, of course, that was mostly after Montreal fell back to defend their aggregate 3-goal lead.

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I agree with your point about the skinny field. However, Montreal tried to play the ball through their midfield, we rarely did. If we want to play the long ball, we will need better support behind our front line. As it is, our back line would launch a long ball for the (typically 3) forwards to chase/flick on. Our midfielders were nowhere near the forwards, leading to Montreal controlling most of the 2nd balls. All night long, you would see a huge hole in the middle of the field where our midfielders did not venture when we are on the build up to offense. All in all, it was a rather unattractive and ineffective way to play. On a good day, Eddie Johnson is going to get a flick on or two that leads to goal scoring chances. He did that in the first half, but not much so in the second.

12. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    This is kind out of left field, but did anyone else see the guy who looked for all the world like Dominic Kinnear in the stands? He was on the south side, one section over from the end and halfway up. If it wasn't him, he's got a twin.

About the long ball - I felt pretty bad for Eddie Johnson watching the game. Poor guy was getting beat up with all of those minimally productive passes tossed his way.

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Yes, it was Dominic Kinnear. I chatted with him very briefly on the way out of the stadium. I asked him whom he liked and he refused to tell me. Well, I must really looked like an MLS scout! :)

14. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    Serjan Je can o vitch

15. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on that game? Miguel, Matt Jordan, Gerba, or maybe Max or Eddie.

16. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I told him that I liked Montreal's #11, the left-sided midfielder with the blonde ponytail. I thought he was calm on the ball and used the ball well. If that guy ends up on the Houston roster next year, you can blame it all on me. :)

17. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been off for a few days, purposefully as well as not, too cool off a little before posting here.

PISSALITER IS A NOBBIE SOD OF A JOBBIE CAPTAIN AND IF EITHER ME, OR JAMIE WATSON, GET SOO MUCH AS A CLOTH YARD FROM HIM NEXT YEAR WE'RE GONNA HAVE IT!!!

FUK THOSE TWO MONTREAL TROLLS IN THE WORST WAY!!!
    The rest of you montreal coves are class otherwise unlike your so called captain.

AND COME ON CAROLINA!!!!!

Major Note:This is how I feel about it all just after a few days of lettin the piss out.

18. JustinR1015

JustinR1015 Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about the gap and the disjoint team. Usually, its just Max and Eddie playing off one another, and if we're lucky Lance or Jamie get a chance to join the attack. The biggest problem I see is that like you said, it means we have a hard time getting to second balls. This in turn means we forfeit possession quickly, and are forced to defend a bit more. Other than passing it along the back line and maybe to one of the central midfielders that drops back for the ball, we don't have a good way of establishing possession for a period of time. I wish there was a way to better establish possession in the opponents half.

19. Mr. Caca

Mr. Caca Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Di Lorenzo is probably our best player. The guy's very good at handling and passing the ball. He's also always in a good position. I'm not sure what he's still doing in div.2. He will probably stick with Montréal in 2012.

20. Tatatatan

Tatatatan New Member

May 31, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    He played in Argentina D1 and he's too good for this league (along with Gerba and Billy).

21. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Montreal lost -- I am absolutely gutted, as I was so impressed with their sportsmanship on their visit to Austin.

Words won't serve at a time like this, but perhaps I can best express my feelings by paraphrasing from an earlier post on this thread...

"Sup Montreal! Enjoy the off season!" :D

Well done Railhawks.

1 person likes this.