Match day 28: COL v ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Sep 15, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 GunnerJacket, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Colorado Rapids vs. Atlanta United
    Dick's Sporting Goods Park
    3:30
    Univision

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com 4 Questions here.

Setting aside any panic over the fate of Tata at the moment.

So, did everyone enjoy their action-packed international break?!

After a thrilling 4 days of spirited debate about Will Trapp as USMNT captain and how the USSF apparently should have their pick of global coaching names, (because, ya know, 'Murica!) we all can get back to our respective leagues and teams. Crucial for MLS is this now begins the stretch run. Put your trays up and put your seats in their upright positions, campers, because we're approaching our final destination!

Biggest news of all is Josef Martinez (by all accounts I've seen) returns from international duty injury free. In fact he didn't even play a full match for Venezuela. So in theory the Five Stripes enter this road trip at optimal health, with even whispers of Nagbe seeing action soon. So while 3 games in 8 days is never optimal, especially when 2 of them are in elevated Denver and far-flung San Jose, the uptick is those teams are already planning for next season and Atlanta has had time to prepare.

Colorado had a brief run this summer suggesting they'd turned a corner in rebuilding, only to get knocked back down. Defensively they're fair, especially if they can keep the shape of their diamond back 4. The problem has been getting help up front and relieving pressure. They often struggle with possession and have few options for poking the ball into the net, even after swapping offensive threats with FCD.

We all know Atlanta's position re: the Supporter's Shield and Eastern Conference standings. The question is how much this weighs in their minds and they're ability to not downplay any opponent. After all, they were supposed to prove much more effective against a tired DCU last time out, only to contrive a profligate performance that saw Martinez' goal streak end and Atlanta waste an opportunity to put room between them and Energy Drink FC.

Hopefully Martinez won't be jet lagged and will be anxious to score. If the Stripes' can endure the elevation this is a defensive capable of surrendering bunches. If fresh Atlanta could excel at spreading the attack and finding ample spaces for cutting runs by Tito. This might also prove a rare match where Atlanta could prove a deadly counter attacking side, sitting back so as not to burn out and then releasing Miggy and Co. on the break.

Hoping my wasted optimism from last time was a case of DCU catching some good fate. Colorado is playing for pride but little more. 3-1 to Atlanta.

2. Mendel

Mendel Member

Atlanta
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    I'm ready. Radio only for me. Still, I'm guessing at a 2-0 score.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Normal aggressive match in the first half where Atlanta had moments of finishing class that decided the outcome. Back half was basically both teams ready to get out of the sun and grab a cold one. Pretty sure at one point AU had 75% of possession before that last 10 minutes when Colorado had a push.

Nagbe played a good spell and looked good, if slow. His passing was sorely missed in some matches the past few months. Glad he's around even if only as another body during this crunch week.

Gressel was great today with two solid assists and nice play alongside Remedi and Tito in managing the right side. Only Colorado but still.

Sorry Martinez didn't get a score. 2 games in a row without a goal! Unheard of!

In the end three points and no injuries, though I was worried about that hack Martinez suffered late from Gashi(?). Hopefully they can put on a good show in San Jose. If we land 4 points from these next two I'll be pleased.

4. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    #4 Mabee, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2018
    My only complaint is that Martino doesn't bring on subs earlier. Playing in the heat and altitude with 3 games this week and a 3-0 lead, the subs didn't start coming on until after 70th minute. Save legs especially with the way they were going after Almiron.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True, but the second half saw A LOT of walking.

BTW, I fixed your Martinez/Martino reference.