Match Day 2 (pbp) - Portugal v. Spain- Sochi

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by soccernutter, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See reference to rich, white kids. There are plenty of pickup games in certain minority communities, but those kids are being missed by our academy system.

soccernutter and kennytt repped this.
  2. Colima24

Colima24 Member+

Jul 28, 2005
    Villa de Alvarez
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No hay nada que defender, Ronaldo fue imparable este dia.

3. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would respectfully dispute that there are plenty... Ive worked with kids my whole professional life and have not seen this. Bit that is admittedly personal observation. What I see is basketball, football, and baseball, in that order, among all groups.

Here in Brooklyn kids wear CL team jerseys the way kids in rural towns wear MLB/NFL jerseys. It's weird.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think many are really saying that Portugal is an average team without CR7. I'm reading most of the comments is that Portugal are on another level, can be talked about as contenders, with CR7. To me, it is the difference between maybe winning it all, and maybe losing in the first knockout stage.

(and, let us also not forget how fluid Spain looked today. They did not look like a team in crisis.)

NewLaw83 repped this.
  5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe something NYC related? I don't know? But my kid's school has three or four games going every recess and if you head out into Eastern Washington, the migrant farmer communities have games after school and on weekends.

Joao Bibliotecario repped this.
  6. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't know about the US, but Mexico has been very good in the last 10-15 years at generating good young prospects (proof, how well they've done in youth international tournaments). The problem is that they have a very corrupt federation, the local coaches are years behind in the tactical department and more importantly, most of the teams in Liga MX don't want to develop the talent they produce (most young Mexicans that are getting first team reps) preferring to bring foreigners that most of the time are just not good or mediocre veterans and when one of those youngsters manage to get pass all those barriers and shows enough quality to bring Eouropean interest, most teams ask for way too much for any European team to pull the trigger, eventualky stagnating in Liga MX (and if one player decides to go behind the team's back or anything, teams collude to either not p,ay him nor sign him, in what is called Pacto de Caballeros).

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, particularly for Mexico.

For the US, there is also the added aspect of being paid better in Europe than in the US.

Alas, the quota and permits are an issue.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now, don't make me start talking about MLS.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Project 2010, right?

10. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ok, so then we are perhaps getting into some very unpleasant territory where race is a factor in this. A guy like Michael Bradley gets a spot, entitled son of a coach as he is. That is exactly why I don't watch. Do Americans need white guys to play in order to care, or do we not grasp our diverse talent enough? Hard to say, esp here. Food for thought.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The women are in the same boat as the men - pay to play. It just happens that we have more women who play soccer as opposed to baseball and football, though there is softball.

WNBA

The issue, though, gets back to pay to play. There are not a whole lot of pick up soccer games in every community, but there are basketball games, everywhere. And the coaching is much, much better relative to soccer, all the way down to the parents who start teaching their kids the sport when they are 2 or 3.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. Naw. MLS teams flushing money into their academies.

soccernutter repped this.
  13. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No offense, but the WNBA is treated as a joke league. Here people follow NFL, NBA, MLB, in that order. The USWNT stands out as an anomaly but the gender divide in sports remains. Want to get laid? Go to a bar during a USWNT match and know any player other than Morgan, Solo, or Wambach. Just kidding, but yeah, Americans have to conquer race and sex hangups to care, i don't see it.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Race is absolutely a factor (see rich, white kid reference in my initial post). You’ve got the institutional racism that disproportionately locks minorities into the lower income brackets, the pay to play youth development model that locks lower income kids out of the developmental system, the lack of college soccer scholarships that, again, locks lower income kids out of college soccer, the abject racism that favors white coaches over better minority coaches and sends national team scouts to plumb the depths of European soccer for Euro-Americans, while ignoring the Mexican-Americans plying their trade in Liga MX.

soccernutter repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To whom are you considering a joke? And what do you mean by a joke league? And if you want to compare, use the WPSL.

The USWNT is where it is in large part to Title XI.

And you do know I'm from the US, right?

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would add that, with my experience living/working in a predominately Black community, there is a lot of curiosity about soccer, but many don't know where to go or who to ask because the community is ignored by the soccer community. Hell, I've had people talk about an exciting 0-0 match.

Yoshou repped this.
  17. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Football, a rich White kid sport? In the US race has to make it's way into every conversation, just saying.

18. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good perspective.

But I think you focus on pay to play too much. The youth leagues definitely discriminate with fees, $90 for uniforms etc when they're supposed to be supporting underprivileged kids. You're solidly correct there, full stop.

But there's a difference between talent that needs coddling and talent that is premier level. We can support kids dreams, and also support world class players

19. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #319 Joao Bibliotecario, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Me too, American. Do you really think the WNBA is a major draw? Is it on in bars, do people discuss it at work? I'm not knocking it. But the US has its sports and no changing.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is this the Portugal x Spain thread :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

21. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, two mods have wanted to talk so I let them. I thought the same thing.

22. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I was just going to ask that lol

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WNBA outdraws NWSL and gets similar tv ratings as MLS.. It’s definitely a niche sport?

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. Valid. I’ll stop now. :)

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member