Match ball suggestions (Select, Adidas, Other?)

Discussion in 'Coach' started by OneGoodKnee, Aug 20, 2012.

1. OneGoodKnee

OneGoodKnee Member

Jun 5, 2003
    SLC, UT
    I want to buy a couple of size 5 match balls for our new season.

Any suggestions without breaking the bank? I used to like Select balls but it has been several years.

My more recent experience with the $25-$40 Adidas/Nike offerings leaves something to be desired.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I've always loved the Select balls as a goalkeeper. My Forward teammates always feel like the ball floats on them. I usually get the Nike of the day HS approved ball.

elessar78 repped this.
  3. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Prices keep climbing. What I used the last couple of years was a Select, which is what the local high schools use for match balls. I was paying $50+ per ball, but felt it was worth the price. Decent bladders and covers. Holds up fairly well. I get 6-8 matches out of them before I relegate them to practice ball status. (We play mostly on artificial turf so the covers don't get any wear.)

Anything cheaper and you are looking at heavier bladders and potential shape problems.

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy with Select. But the Adidas and Nike Premium match balls are good as well.

What's your budget? I think balls are worth spending a bit more if your club/team can afford it—something in the $75 plus range.

I'm a cheap bastard, and I just bought an adidas ball for $15. It's one of those 13 panel balls. Seems like a good model for the cost. It's their Tango line that was used for the Euro, the cheap version. It's just for personal use.

5. GAZZA821

GAZZA821 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  6. strikerbrian

strikerbrian Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Queensbury, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brine Phantoms are used by everyone around here.

(http://www.soccer.com/Navigation.process?Ntt2=phantom&Ntt=phantom&N=4294960224 368&Ne=178&Ntk=Search&Nty=1&Srp=24&Ntx=mode+matchall&Dx=mode+matchall&searchWithin=1)

I like them fine, especially when they are new. They seem to last forever. We've had some around for 7-8 years(as practice balls).

I've seen a lot of the Select balls as well at club level. I agree that they do float a bit though.

I think most of the nike and addidas balls are way too tacky. Can't stand the synthetic feel to most of them. The more expensive balls are better but cost much more.

7. GOALACITY

GOALACITY New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    If I were you I would go with the Select Brilliant Super Ball. By far one of the best balls for the money. Being an ex-professional in the MLS and NASL as well as doing countless hours of private training sessions, the Select balls are by far one of the better balls without breaking the bank.

I have heard nothing but good things from players and parents about them.

Check them out:
    http://www.soccertools.com/Top-Ten-Match-Soccer-Balls/

---Goalacity Team Member
    www.GOALACITY.com

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Brine. Good cheap goalkeeper gloves. Their balls are rocks. Hate heading them and never really liked their touch.

But as said above, they last FOREVER.

9. Jenny Thomsan

Jenny Thomsan New Member

MU
    Germany
    Jan 14, 2020