Match 6: MEX-URU - CACERES (PAR)

Discussion in 'Copa América 2016 - Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 4, 2016.

1. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They believed the 2nd goal was offside

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Absolutely disgraceful behavior by the Uruguayan keeper and Uruguay at the end. Hard to believe there was not one red card for AL or contact with an official.

Bad for officials everywhere.

Alberto and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I was highly expecting to see at least a card come out, hopefully red but at least yellow to put them on yellow card watch for the next game.

Alberto repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested to learn. But I'm thinking they believe there was handling somewhere?

Also interested to learn how Cavani and the keeper get away with their dissent.

Got to say Caceres just doesn't inspire confidence. On top of his overall lack of authority, he just seemed like he got talked into sending off Guardado (it was a tactical foul, but he should have had it without all the Uruguayan help).

5. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Never liked Uru and their attitude.

They argued over the wrong goal, the third goal was offside not the second one.

The fact that the crew stood in the middle of the field taking that abuse, knowing full well the cameras were on them, and then no one coming out from the tourney to secure the officials looks bad.

Punks.

jeffmefun repped this.
  6. rajale3000

rajale3000 Red Card

Jun 5, 2016
    Uruguayans have a victim complex since the dawn of time, this is nothing new.

Alberto repped this.
  7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
  8. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I think he did reasonably well overall. It was not his fault the players did not respond to his early cautions.
    This was going to be a tough match anyway, as any match between Mexico and a South American team usually is, and it needed a very strong referee. They should have put their toughest guy out there if they have one, a Collina type.

PH

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The third goal looked on side to me. The Mexican attacker was behind the ball.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Uruguay argued handling, I didn't see it.

Sour grapes as usual.

11. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    FYP

12. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
  13. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkPD4sJWYAAETZI.jpg

This is what Uruguay is complaining about. I know the offside line is not drawn correctly but I didn't make it myself. Muslera also said that the assistant referee grabbed his testicles in a sign of disrespect towards Muslera.

In my opinion, I think the referee called a decent game given the circumstances, considering what the temperature of the match was from the very beginning

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  14. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Uruguay was just pissed off that somebody played the wrong anthem at the beginning.

15. soccermitchell

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uruguayan players saying that after the 2nd goal the linesman grabbed his crotch and said "this is a hand" when they complained that Marquez handled the ball.

I can't for the life of me see a handball in that sequence but certainly if they can document that the linesman made a crude gesture and was disprespectful then they have something to protest. Wouldn't this be easy to show via video ? - if it happened it would have been filmed for sure.

http://www.ovaciondigital.com.uy/futbol/muslera-queja-copa-america.html

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FS1 did a good break down of what was happening there including belief that an attacking player went over the back and fouled a defender in the box leading to the corner. On the goal, Marquez clearly handled the ball in the box before passing the ball. He even hesitated before continuing play.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FS1 didn't show when a gesture may have happened, but Uruguay was really upset before defending the set piece because the AR informed the center of something going on in the box. There was absolutely no jostling or grabbing when the ref approached the players to talk to them. I have no idea what he could have seen.

FS1 showed the handling by Rafa Marquez.

I may try to find video later. It was a brief "Dr. Joe" segment yesterday.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's not easily visible in this video, but the handling was before Marquez passed the ball. Many of the highlights begin when the ball is passed back to him.

Watch around 0:55.

19. soccermitchell

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see it. He put his foot out to trap. Maybe it came up and deflected off his hand but to me it just looks like he doesn't fully control it and it goes past him.

I ended up google searching and while I didn't find either the Marquez handball or the supposed linesman crotch grab I did many incidents of Uruguayan complaining furiously to the refs. Maybe its just a strategy.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FS1 couldn't find any video of the ref. They did have the handling zoomed in.