Match #59 - QF - NED : CRC - IRMATOV (UZB)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by Alberto, Jul 5, 2014.

1. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than cautioning a guy without showing the yellow card. Not sure how big of a deal that is, but hey.

2. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Not good. But he pulled a Jasen Anno at the Confederations Cup, and that doesn't seem to have hurt him in the slightest.

jarbitro repped this.
  3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between the Neymar injury, where a guy with a broken back was just thrown on a poor excuse for a stretcher, and the unconscious guy in Eng-Uru, they need to revisit their whole medical protocols.

No one likes time wasting, but no one likes serious injury, even more.

This stuff, if applied in the US, is gonna get someone sued.....

JasonMa repped this.
  4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This is not the first time Krul has been allowed to pull this crap on penalty kicks. He's done the same thing in the Premier League:

5. drummer68

drummer68 Member

Sep 17, 2005
    van Nistelrooy actually called Krul out on this behavior on the ESPN post-match discussion. He said something to the effect of he (Krul) doesn't need to do these types of things. van Nistelrooy didn't call it cheating or anything like that, but it was clear he didn't really approve of the behavior.

6. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    #106 dna77054, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
    Amen, I was watching on Univision and on their replay the ref was looking directly at that bearhug/two-handed shirt pull. Obvious penalty to me. What say you refs on this board? What do you say about Campbell being run over in the box from behind while attempting to play the ball?

This ref needs to go and never see another WC game. So now Greece, Italy, and Holland have all gotten away with stone cold PK fouls/handballs against CR. Effing travesty. CR may have won this game with a competent/unbiased ref. Very hard to a team to win when the opponent can get away with anything in their own box.

[MOD EDIT]

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    How many PKs have been whistled so far for PK-area wrestling? Zero if I'm not mistaken.

8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    One of the two goals that Costa Rica allowed in this tournament was for a momentary grab on a similar set piece, so their perspective is likely very different from yours. I know that people don't like "bias" discussion on here, but referees seem to find it a lot easier to make that kind of decision against a team that doesn't have as much history of success, e.g., France's grab against Nigeria.

That being said, in the parts of this game that I watched, I thought Irmatov and crew were poor both ways.

9. Zingo

Zingo New Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Do you happen to have a video of those to moments? Cuss I can only vaguely remeber both. I know of one of them it was more of a dive by the CR player than anything else. Both could have been given as far as I remember, but considering the way the ref handeled most of the match it's not really a surprise to see what he did.

Also, I think refs should start protecting Robben a bit more, the amount of hacking into him was just way to high this match. Smart play by the CR coach to emphasize his diving behavior, that way his players were allowed to just a bit more of their agressive play against him.

10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #110 PuckVanHeel, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    Sadly I'm not able to create GIFs (maybe others can do?) but both were not penalties. Certainly not the Indi vs Campbell moment.
    [​IMG]

It was a bump in the back without arms used. No tripping involved.

11. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    You and all of the other Irmatov fans on this forum better get used to seeing him. It doesn't seem that FIFA is going to cease using him. I just saw an article stating that he has now done NINE World Cup matches and that is the most for anyone in history. Since he is only 36, he still has at least one more, and possibly two, WCs ahead of him. Given that he comes from the Asian Confederation, which doesn't pose conflicts with the teams from Europe or South America (nor Africa or Concacaf), I believe that FIFA sees him as quite valuable and useful. Despite his errors in the past and any future failings, I predict he will reach a dozen WC matches by the end of 2018.
    You don't have to like it, but that's the way the politics of this are.

12. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as a youth ref, there is no way I would allow the GK to approach the kick taker like that - I'd have a fist-fight on my hands. :)

BTFOOM and MetroFever repped this.
  13. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Except in this case, the NED keeper did not want to be subbed out, so its unlikely he would have agreed to feign injury after the game. I know its a hypothetical about a hypothetical, but they ran a real risk of waiting too long.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's patently ridiculous. Of course he would allow himself to be subbed out. What? He's going to piss everybody off and make himself a pariah, probably getting himself on the next plane back to Amsterdam and missing the semifinal and final?

Really?

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Sure, they could have blatantly cheated. I'm surprised that a referee/assessor would advocate such a thing. (Had they done so and won, we would be seeing a proposal to eliminate the GK-injury exception at the next IFAB meeting.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's a bit of an overreaction. I know MrRC rubs a lot of posters here the wrong way.

A more likely proposal would be requiring two years of medical school for a FIFA badge.

17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    There's clearly a battle of perceptions going on here, with the Robben playing the victim every bit as much as his opponents emphasize the banana-peel pratfalls. See, for example:

"I got rugby-tackled throughout the game," says Robben
    http://www.marca.com/2014/07/06/en/football/national_teams/1404648760.html

To Costa Rica's credit, they didn't play very aggressively in general yesterday, and despite keeping very little of the possession, they were whistled for only 13 fouls in 120 minutes. But of course, 8 of those 13 fouls were whistled in favor of Robben, most of them in dangerous positions, and he was also rewarded with four cautions shown to CR. Apart from the play where Irmatov chickened out of Diaz' second yellow, I find it hard to see what he's complaining about.

18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    About Krul's behavior: couldn't that be a caution for usb? And, just for fun, what would happen if the keeper were to earn a red during the penalties?

19. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Probably not a caution the first time. Warning, then caution if it continues. If a keeper gets a red during PK's, someone else has to take over.

Alberto repped this.
  20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And if they have a sub left, the aforementioned fraudulent injury strategy by the field player who takes over becomes more tempting to those not worried about ethics of the game. (And creates the unusual scenario of no further reduction to equate as the KFTPM have already begun.)

21. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Another interesting scenario is retaliation to the taunting by the keeper. If this escalates to a double red situation, one team loses a field player, while the other a goalkeeper. Best just to quickly nip it in the bud.

22. kets

kets Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Why? He got hit a lot, yet people keep calling him a diver. Why cannot he complain about that? Don't you think that he generally would rather play than get hit and get a free kick?

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A poster who is a fan of a Dutch team is defending a Dutch player? Seems like a neutral perspective to me.

24. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Success brings out the haters

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Referee haters? You realize what forum you're in. Right?