PBP: Match #56, FIFA 2018 World Cup: R16 - Colombia vs. England - 7/3/18 [R]

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Furnaccio, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My view of the English fans has changed. I used to think they're mostly harmless idiots, but in reality they are harmul idiots. One more nation on my hate-list. I now respect Modric a lot more for telling the truth.

Doogs, Froboy69, CalamityX18 and 3 others repped this.
  2. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I used to defend Sanchez because he has been good in the NT regardless of his club form. But now I don't want to see him start ever again of Barrios is available. The second pk was a joke IMO but Sanchez gave the ref an opportunity to regalar un penalti for England.

ryu79 and dapip repped this.
  3. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wasn't his best tournament but for me he's not the one to blame, surely not for the second and most decisive PK. Vs. Japan it was a reflex in my opinion, I don't think he intend to. Vs. England it simply wasn't a penalty. Kane grab his shirt which is a foul and then pull him so Sanchez will fall on him, just like he did exactly vs. Tunisia. The other ref didn't buy it, Geiger should burn in hell.

Froboy69, Azucarero and pepinointer repped this.
  4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wouldn't pin the blame completely on Carlos Sanchez, there are too many things that lead up to those two calls, that are not really in his control. Against Japan, Davinson made an amateur mistake and allowed the smaller Japanese guy to beat him, which lead to the opportunity, the rebound and the handball. Against England Geiger was favoring the British from the get go and it was only a matter of time before another controversial call would be made.

With all that said, I think that, as good as he is, he lacks two defining characteristics of what a 5 should be: He shies away in big games, and he is not an overwhelming personality that can stand up to referees and rivals. I don't want to discuss why he isn't, he simply is not.

OTOH, I was tremendously impressed by Barrios; Not only has he excellent stamina and positioning, he is an imposing figure in the midfield that does not shy away from challenges. He's the kind of player rivals and referees don't mess with, and came into the lineup as if he had been the starter for the last 4 years.

As much as La Roca has been our mainstay for the last 6 years, I think that Barrios is ready to take over the position and hopefully Uribe or Perez develop into a more reliable 8, and we should be set for the next 4 years in the midfield.

ryu79, pepinointer, Froboy69 and 4 others repped this.
  5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Last 10 years. Roca put in 3 WC cycles of solid work. Sadly this WC will likely be his legacy.

As much as I wanted roca to stick around and get 100 caps, I do think it is better idea that we let Barrios, Lerma and Uribe take the driver seat of our midfield. All 3 are more than capable/ready as starters. Hopefully players like GC brothers, SebP or whomever can catch up and make the most of opportunities given.

Azucarero and dapip repped this.
  6. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

The second one was bull.

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was referring to the Pekerman era. Thankfully 2011-12 was so long ago...

Furnaccio repped this.
  8. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Sanchez always showed up and gave his all for us, I didn't want him starting but we can't fault the guy for being a loyal soldier and always giving his all. If anything Pekerman still relying on him was the bigger mistake with a younger and better player ready for his chance, but Pekerman trusts his guys which can go both ways. I really wouldn't want Sanchez to be villified, but the underlying message has to be that sample size matters, and at club level Sanchez was very inconsistent and his build up play was really lacking, that wasn't going away.

J-Mezzy, Froboy69 and dapip repped this.
  9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What is most frustrating is no videos of the actual game online.

I want to rewatch the penalty, the free throw that Falcao stole and Bacca scores. Also why the hell that corner In 2nd OT wasn’t given to us when Maguire headed the ball to a corner.

Also want to show people when Stones steps on Falcaos head but we are the dirtiest team in the world according to some

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If you have fox sports or telemundo the games might still be available...

11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we are tiny so tiny :D:p

1051936130524954624 is not a valid tweet id

BlueDamian repped this.
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Luis Enrique pulled a Pekerman...

J-Mezzy repped this.
  13. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    but without the penatly goals

dapip repped this.
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In all honesty, I don’t see either England or Spain being so much better than us at this point. Yeah, England finished 4th in the WC on the fabulous record of 3 wins (Panama, Tunisia and Sweden), 1 draw (Colombia) and 3 defeats (Croatia, Belgium twice). Spain beat Iran and drew Portugal, Morocco and Russia.

Sure, they have more names, specially Spain, but I don’t see neither Spain or England as dominant teams at this moment, more like quarter final teams that can come a little short (Just like us) or go a little further with the right calendar (Panama, Tunisia, Colombia, Sweden)...

lurkerhp and J-Mezzy repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I just hope we are better than Costa Rica.
    Los Ticos will be a little bit pesky.

kromekote, pepinointer and dapip repped this.
  16. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    is there much of a difference between the US and Costa Rica?

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah i agree.....but isnt that if Colombia dont win agaisnt Emgland is just because Colombian fault........isnt Colombia agaisnt bolivia.

dapip repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I will answer this in the Friendly thread...