Match #53: FRA : NGA - GEIGER (USA)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Erocker

Erocker Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Club:
    CD Jalapa
    We've definitely seen Alonso sent off for equal or less last year by Grajeda/Rockwell. I know that's MLS, but in this WC we've had Pepe sent off for the lightest head butt (if you can even call it that and which no one questioned as being red on this board) and we haven't seen Webb/Kuipers or anyone that I can think of manage themselves out of any situation where another player strikes someone off the ball. I know this won't hurt Geiger in the long run, because he's done really well overall, but I am very curious as to what the feedback was to him on that particular incident.

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the pepe thing wasn't a head butt. it was the foam-flecked in-your-face viciousness of the attitude he showed.

3. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    Yes, well, this is the soccer pitch not a courtroom. Although we sure sound like we are arguing in the court of law sometimes, especially when someone uses the word "box" instead of "area." :D

Think of it this way -- I'm sure lawyers have to linguistic context; that is what I meant by not using the Webster argument. Although intent is judged in many aspects of life, we don't have to get that detailed in most of our decisions as referees. I'm sure there are parallels to legal concepts but the bottom line is for fouls we don't look at intent, really, and just it against our definition of careless/reckless/endangering an opponent.

I should continue to reinforce the fact that I am not saying this slap/elbow in this match was careless. I was merely proposing to the group that not every strike or attempt to strike is a send-off. It's a foul (when all the other criteria for a foul are met) and therefore we still run it through the decision tree to decide how to penalize it.

4. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how does the US elimination bode for Geiger the rest of the way?

A Quarterfinal? Semi?

The FInal?!?!?

DO we want him officiating an Argentina Brazil final? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

5. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #255 EDonEnta, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    You, Jason Ma, ARE the one playing the race card here. Nobody solicited this information from you. How does this post of yours add to the discussion here, which is about refereeing? It does not. You wanted to bond with some like-minded fellows here by bashing those "whiny, race-card playing Africans". Stop trying so hard to belong, buddy. :mad:

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You missed a truly horrific post that was deleted.

JasonMa and sjt8184 repped this.
  7. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read in a another forum that Geiger and his team have said their goodbyes? Is that true?

8. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason is not a referee and as Andy wrote, he was responding to a disgusting post, since deleted.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It seems my post was a bit ..................................................................... offside :D
    OK. Carry on. :D

superdave, jeffmefun, Venture5 and 4 others repped this.
  10. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You should be ashamed of yourself for posting that post.

11. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I am not sure you want to go there. Let the matter rest.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong but @Arsenal_NGA was being sarcastic. He "liked" @EDonEnta's post.

The perils of sarcasm on the internet.

And in that vein, hopefully I didn't miss any sarcasm in your post.

nsa repped this.