Match 53: BRA : MEX - ROCCHI (ITA)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jul 1, 2018.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Doh!

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Can VAR rule on something that happens off the pitch? I would assume so, but possibly it is a technicality.

Most people seem to think Layun would have received a red from VAR, but didn't because of Neymar's histrionics. Whether true or not, it isn't a good look for the referee crew.

Guinho repped this.
  3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    That is a moment. The game is held while he is treated. But he is off the pitch and there was no card shown to Layun. Play should have continued while Neymar is being treated.

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Depends on what you mean by "something." VAR can review for send off offenses, which would include violent conduct and include this play. I don't hink there is any doubt whatsoever that this was reviewed by VAR. But the standard is a clear an obvious error--the VAR only sends for an on field review if the VAR concludes there was a clear and obvious error. I don't think failing to send off hear was a clear an obvious error, and I think the VAR was proper in not sending down to the field. (I also don't think it would have been a clear and obvious error if R had sent him off.)

5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    So, basically, VAR tells the ref that there is a stomp. The ref says, "I saw it and don't want to call it". VAR has done its job; the ref did his job as he wanted to do it.

Kempa repped this.
  6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Maybe. But it wasn't a stomp. It was a step as he grabbed for the ball. The VAR is going to tell the R that VAR is reviewing. The VAR will either tell the R that the check is complete, and that's it, or the VAR is going to tell the R that the VAR believes there was a clear and obvious error.

In this case, I don't believe it was the R saying I saw it and don't want to call it. I find it hard to believe that he would not have at least cautioned if he saw it (and I think it would be easy to miss). And I don't think he would have refused to look at it again of the VAR said it was a clear and obvious error to not send him off--that would likely be the kiss of death in how his performance was evaluated (and appears to be a reason three refs are no longer reffing).

So I think the simple solution is correct: VAR reviewed, saw that it was step without much force while grabbing for the ball that Neymar was trying to hold and delay with, realized Neymar was grandstanding, determined that it was not a clear and obvious error to not send off, and told the R the check was done.

DefRef, Guinho and AremRed repped this.
  7. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The discussion about VAR on that play has the side-effect of obscuring the real referee issues it presented. First, if we think the R saw the step, why did he not deal with it? Was that the right choice? Sort of a "It should be a caution, but Neymar's flopping makes me not want to give it" (which, tbqh, I'm fine with). Or, if the both the R/4th/SAR all missed it, how could they have? There was a lot going on, but that's the kind of situation where you can't lose sight of the ball, and you can't lose sight of the Neymar, and here it seems that if they did miss it, they lost sight of both.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Stomp, step. Not sure it matters.

I think there is more going on, but I'm probably wrong. It seems that VAR is constantly being tweaked during the tournament. My understanding is that there is more discussion. The VAR will say they have views of a step. But if the ref says he saw it and declined to call it, there is no clear and obvious error as it is a subjective call. Unless VAR has information the Ref does not have, there is no OFR or anything. In other words, if what VAR finds, the Ref already knows, nothing is done. It is only if the Ref didn't see the stomp, that VAR would then recommend/tell the Ref to go with their call or OFR.

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    That is what I'm saying; if they missed it, then VAR would act on it. The fact VAR didn't act means:

1. The Ref saw it, and made a subjective call that is not reviewable.
    2. The Ref didn't see it, but VAR made a call not to do anything.

Hard to believe the VAR would just let it go. COA at least would have them tell the Ref they see a step/stomp. But if the Ref says he saw that but decided not to do anything but take an impromptu, unofficial, water break, they can't do anything more.

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    How much force is need to become excessive? He was on the ground off the field of play and an opponent intentionally stepped on his ankle with an intent to at least cause pain if not injure.

Why are so many here going out of their way to defend the CR/VAR.

Dead ball, out of bounds. There aren’t really grounds for a caution, it has to be Red or nothing. Neither the CR or VAR had the courage for the red so they want with nothing.

Their lack of courage should not be excused. They are failing the game on its biggest showcase. They are feeding the stupid “fixed” crowd.

Patrick167, chad, AremRed and 1 other person repped this.
  11. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of. The referee doesn't make a subjective call that its not reviewable. The VAR woud do that, and he'd do it independent of what the referee saw (so don't link the VAR response to the Ref seeing it or not).

But again, the VAR piece obscures the real referee issue, which is why did the referee see it and not act, or, how could all three have missed it? I personally would have liked to see all three (R/4/SAR) huddle briefly and figure out what happened. The fact they didn't do it lends credence to the idea they saw it, and decided it was not a big enough deal to punish, or that Neymar's antics made punishing it (even with a caution) unwise. After all, had they cautioned for it, it could have given the impression they were suckered by Neymar... even if they did indeed see the step.

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Of course there is a basis for a caution: USB. If the R (or another on-field official) saw the play and did not believe it rose to the level of VC, he could easily have cautioned for it.

I don't see how you get to "intentionally stepped on his ankle." He was trying to get the ball from Neymar to take a throw-in. And I think the VAR also did not see it that way--if the VAR concluded it was clear and obvious that it was an intentional step onto N's ankle, it would be VC.

I think the VAR was 100% correct in not sending to the field--I do not think it was a clear and obvious send off as I saw nothing in the replay to show that there was a lot of force or that the player was trying to do so. And I think the on-field team missed what should have been (at least) a caution.

13. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I am surprised there wasn't misconduct for Layun of some color. But I think the referee crewed managed their way out of it just fine. Remember, Neymar was on a yellow card already and would have been suspended. And on that play, he intentionally blocked the player from getting the ball and taking a quick restart, as well as potentially kicking out after getting stepped on. I don't see a world in which only Layun is carded, and given that FIFA wouldn't want Neymar to miss a match, I think they're fine with this outcome - as am I.

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be careful rh, you'll probably be called a coward for taking such a sensible position.

Rufusabc, AndyMead and rh89 repped this.
  15. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Context is for the weak.

16. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    What is this, the second day in a row that you accused a ref of being a coward for not calling something the way you saw it?
    It takes more balls to step on the field as a ref in any of these games than you or I will ever hope to have. The fact you immediately turn to a lack of courage to explain their decisions, instead of the myriad factors that are in play, is beyond reproachful to me.

IASocFan and superdave repped this.
  17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Neymar had missed a practice earlier in the cup due to reported pain in his right ankle - the same one that was stepped on. Watching the replay again I believe Layun attempted to step on the ankle twice, simply coming up short the first time, then once he had his right foot on the ankle he twice took all the weight off his left foot.

Maybe this would have taken too long for VAR to see, but with the benefit of multiple looks at slow mo replay, I am convinced this was nothing other than deliberate.

Patrick167 repped this.
  18. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the mirror universe star-trek-discovery-context-is-for-kings.jpeg

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  19. o5iiawah

o5iiawah Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Maybe FIFA needs to do away with this ridiculous yellow card suspension rule for tournaments. I cannot possibly be convinced that a player who earns a caution in their team's opening match should be SUSPENDED a game for another caution in a game 3 matches later.

I could buy a rule where a yellow in consecutive games results in missing the 3rd rule, but here we have a robust discussion (and we always do in major tournaments) about referees who don't want to caution for dissent, FRD, DRST and simulation lest a big star miss out on a game for a "cheap" yellow.

mfw13 and Patrick167 repped this.
  20. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the predictable result that opponents they can rough Neymar up pretty good with impunity. Second straight cup where he is the most fouled player, plus the most fouled in all European leagues, two years running? Something like that.

That’s some odd meta match management issue there

21. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is a lot short of a broken ankle that can hurt like the bejesus. I’ve twisted my ankle with incredible pain, and now if my ankle even begins to twist I go down in a heap of curse words (while trail running, not on the pitch). That’s not what Neymar is doing here, but frankly a lot of players can be in serious pain, then get ice or injections or whatever and then be running. Professional athletes have al sorts of hilorrible stuff done to them.

Just an aside. Neymar was selling

22. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And to follow up, a clear and obvious yellow doesn’t get send for on field review, right?

1) ref doesn’t see the step on the ankle
    2) VAR does, but it isn’t clear an obvious VC, so doesn’t send down

Something like that.

Ismitje repped this.
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Correct. VAR cannot correct clear and obvious failures to caution. If VAR thought it was a clear and obvious send off, VAR could send it down. Once sent down, however, R could have decided it was not a clear and obvious send off, but did warrant a caution. (We saw that once early in the group stage.)

Guinho repped this.
  24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    With respect to the statements that Neymar cannot be cautioned here (setting aside the observations to the effect that no ref in his right mind would do it) ... why can't this fall under "attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury?"

Of course, it was a lot easier for those of us who came up under the old ATR, which called for cautioning "Fakes an injury or exaggerates the seriousness of an injury."

25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And down the rabbit hole we go...

I don’t think the language of Law 12 is limiting here, per se. Note that it says “e.g.,” which means “for example,” and the language itself is among examples of what can be USB. USB is a big bucket.

But regardless of could, it seems pretty clear that the expectations are not for a caution here. And the knockout rounds of the WC are certainly not where a ref is going to give an unusual caution like that—even if it were not to one of the major stars.

SoccerEsq and Bubba Atlanta repped this.