Match 53: BRA : MEX - ROCCHI (ITA)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jul 1, 2018.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’ll never happen in this World Cup, but nothing would satisfy me more than Neymar having to miss the quarterfinal because of that Golden Raspberry-worthy “performance”.

He tried to sell a red card knowing full well no referee wishing to stay in FIFA’s good graces would caution him for simulation/embellishment. But since Neymar is the only real global superstar left in the tournament, he’ll stay on.

Perhaps the domestic league and continental league seasons is where FIFA can start to crack down on this stuff.

akindc repped this.
  2. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    That was the second encounter between Layún and Neymar in front of the bench. The first one, Neymar tried to sell an illegal charge against Layún. Mateu Lahoz ended up having a busy second half.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're arguing that the laws/interpretations should be changed to allow Neymar to be cautioned then that's one thing (although how stupid would it be if Neymar got a yellow and the guy who stepped on him didn't), but the current laws/interpretations do not allow Neymar to be cautioned there.

Kempa, Guinho and Hexa repped this.
  4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Overall, really strong performance there by Rocchi. From all the referees I've seen, I think he has been probably the best referee at this World Cup.

You can tell there were a couple of times in the game where he was starting to reach for his yellow, but decided to manage it. It was almost instinctive and reactive from his part. I guess habits in Serie A just die hard.

On performance, I think he deserves a shot to be in contention for the Final, but with Rizzoli getting it last time and some referees with more pedigree from Europe teams eliminated it will be tough for him to get it.

5. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Why not? Interpretations maybe, but what in the Laws?

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our sport is 90% interpretations of the laws...

Guinho repped this.
  7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Different rules & NHL’s is better

NHL
    Any player who blatantly dives, embellishes a fall or a reaction, or who feigns an injury shall be penalized with a minor penalty under this rule.

FIFA
    • attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)

The deception language is the down fall. If you’ve been fouled, your reaction can not be pretending to be fould or deceptive.

Guinho, Hexa and jarbitro repped this.
  8. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Your first instinct was correct. Exhibit #1 was the run that led to the 2nd goal just a few minutes later.
    Personally I have suffered an injured ankle as a teenager, and I could barely walk for the rest of the day, let alone
    run. And I couldn't play for about 2 weeks.

PH

9. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's my theory for where some of the 6 minutes of added time came from; the referee thought "cautioning you for this display is out of the question, but at least I can add every second of this on to the end of the half."

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Is that a straw man? Was anyone willing to die on that hill?

I see more of a discussion along the lines that it would worth pursuing a discussion as to whether that's something that could happen, and if not now would it be desirable in the future. I don't see anyone suggesting that Neymar had to be carded there. Then again, I scanned some of the posts.

I personally have no expectation of him getting carded especially once the replay of the step (not a stomp) was shown.

Even if Layun hadn't made contact, I would've been stunned if a yellow card had been produced given Neymar was sitting on a yellow and possible suspension in the quarterfinals. The only time I can recall a simulation card for that sort of thing was an after the fact yellow in the 2012 Women's Olympic Football semifinal when a Brazilian player was carded deep into extra time after reentering the field in apparent perfect health after causing a long stoppage for what looked to be a life and limb threatening injury.

I do think it's reasonable to discuss how other sports (in this case hockey) handle similar situations and whether (in the future) there are any lessons to be gained from that.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the offsetting tripping/diving minors. To me it was either a trip or a dive. Calling both is a copout and ends up with the same net as no call at all as both teams stay at the same strength they were before the call, and in hockey players don't risk getting sent off or suspended for minor penalty accumulation.

superdave, Thezzaruz and akindc repped this.
  11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But a yellow card and a two minute minor are no way, shape, or form similar. A player could rack up five or six two minute minors in a game and still finish the game on the ice. Yellow cards with 2CT and accumulation are a far more drastic form of punishment with much longer lasting implications.

12. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Unfortunate that the VAR chose to ignore clear excessive force when Layun stepped on Neymar’s ankle.

In the scenario where a player is laying on the ground there is zero expected force against that player. A deliberate step on the ankle is greater than the zero expected force, and is therefore excessive by default.

Kempa and celito repped this.
  13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Wow, lots of Mexican fans in here.

You usually come into a referee thread where a player was stomped/stepped on and expect discussion of why a red wasn't shown. Not that a yellow should have been shown to the guy that got stepped on.

Lay down on the ground, I'll put metal studs on, and stand on your ankle. Let me know if it hurts! Of course, his ankle wasn't broken, but it sure did hurt. But the kind of thing, where if it didn't break something, the pain would go away with treatment and a small amount of time. Adrenaline helps too.

Neymar is not on the pitch, so not sure why the game was stopped. VAR, for whatever reason, didn't call for review. Seemed like an impromptu water break.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Herrera was very lucky to be on the field at the end of the game. He had 5-6 yellow worthy tackles. Mexico, between Herrera and Layun's stomp, lucky to be with 11 at the end.

15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guarantee this thread would be having the same discussion if, say, Thiago Silva had stepped on Hernandez's ankle and Hernandez flopped around like Neymar did to try to sell it.

superdave, AndyMead and Pierre Head repped this.
  16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    It’s just that FIFA and the officials have become cowards. No one expected a review or card because that would impact the game and FIFA doesn’t want that. So now we are left with asinine discussions of carding the victim of violent conduct.

Strange times indeed.

I don’t know why we have refs, VAR, or even the LotG if none are going to be utilized.

17. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Too bad it can’t go like this:
    “You look really hurt. If you sub off for injury, I’ll book him. Otherwise, get up. We have a game to finish”

IASocFan repped this.
  18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Ricci had his hand at his ear a couple of times. VAR was reviewing. VAR did not send to the field, which means the VAR did not conclude that there was clear and obvious error in not sending off the player for stepping on Neymar.

pr0ner and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  19. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    The ball was out of play for a Mexico throw in. Neymar, off the field, trapped and held it between his lower legs.

20. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't card Neymar for diving/simulation for flopping around off the field after he was stepped on. You also can't really caution him for time wasting, because he was off the field and not delaying the restart. There is a broad catagory of "unsporting conduct" which you could, I suppose, use. But the idea of using that when the player was intentionally stepped on is not fair.
    And the idea of FIFA cracking down on this at the domestic level is a solution that doesn't fit this problem, because at the domestic level the Mexican player most certainly would have been sent off. I've seen a lot of Liga MX soccer, and I've seen players sent off for not just exactly that kind of stomp, but a lot less too. Really the 4th should have had that in real time...but again, its not a problem at the national level as much as it is in the WC.
    But it all worked out bc Mexico did implode, and you can't blame the 4th!

Kempa and Patrick167 repped this.
  21. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    It's a pity. I sat down to watch this and entire recording was commercials followed by a huge spoiler with the score. Even FoxSports Go does the same thing, so it's not just my cable provider who screwed up.

22. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Ricci, Rocchi, all the same right?:(

PH

Kempa repped this.
  23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    However, he’s a decidely average PBP guy. His excitement level does not equal the play, mostly with regard to scoring chances. Hey, I did this for a Living! So, I actually have a clue!

24. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I could not disagree more. If this was ESPN he wouldn’t make the subs bench.

Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    That’s what we were told pre-Cup. However, it has become clear that no OFR can also mean “we don’t want to impact the game by actually doing our jobs and making a decision.”

Kempa, Patrick167 and oxwof repped this.