Post-match: Match 4: Crew v Portland

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Mar 25, 2017.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

ibrew, porchlight, Draghignazzo and 3 others repped this.
  2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

CybrSlydr, Draghignazzo and chr1st repped this.
  3. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have the 43 minute on video you could share when Chara and everyone ended up on the ground? My recording ran out of space 2 minutes before that.
    In real time it looked like Chara sent a flying elbow then ran into a Crew player and played dead so he would not get a second yellow. But I wanted to see again just in case.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 games. Jury is still out.

And I'm wondering if Mensah is now injured. Looks banged up when he came off.

5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Draghignazzo and American Brummie repped this.
  6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To be fair, it's really about 2 1/2 games in Mensah's case.

After being spun like a top in the first game he clumsily got a red card in the second game. This led him to miss the third game, which was our best defensive performance of the season (against a completely impotent DCU attack).

Mensah did however make his triumphant return in the 4th game and contributed by keeping Apsrilla onside for the first goal, and doing absolutely nothing of usefulness on Adi's equalizer before mercifully being subbed off.

Jury us still out. It's not yet Mark Williams level of bad. At this point though he's not DP level and maybe not even Crognale level.

porchlight and Kyle Crew repped this.
  7. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was actually offsides. I can't link to the twitter account but the guy who does some sort of modeling for offsides shows he is off.

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't tell Timon.

stanger and CybrSlydr repped this.
  9. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't be off both sides at once - it's offside, which Asprilla was not no matter how much I yelled that he was as Mensah kept him onside (not onsides).

10. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I'm at on him so far. Seems solid enough. A couple odd gaffes, that maybe he irons out as he gets used to the league and players. But also don't see anything to make him worth DP money.

Really makes this seem like a rush buy because of what happened to Sauro. Anyone know how long his contract is?

11. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares.

At least you're not demanding people say "In an offside position" as if "offside" is some sort of completely unacceptable short form for it.

Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1.5" offside

NUFC Fan repped this.
  13. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    From this picture you can see that Francis was not out of position. He was infront of the CB so I can't see how blame can be placed on his shoulders. It is a touch and go decision. I think mensah should have stepped up as the ball was played. I would hope that if we can maintain a back three/four consistently we shouldn't see this happening again

14. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Francis still allows too much space in behind through the middle. Naess stepping hurts a little, but either way, Francis should tuck inside more so that the ball to Asprilla must be directed wide. If Francis tucks in and Asprilla collects the ball wide, he is far less dangerous than when the ball is slipped in behind towards goal.

TRUJDUB and Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  15. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    He looks tucked in to me.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to complain about that offside call (or lack thereof). The whole point of the change to the offside rule back in the day was to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker rather than the defender so that there would be more goal scoring. It was close enough and a quick enough play that I can see giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacker here.

TRUJDUB, POdinCowtown and CrewMak repped this.
  17. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch it in real time, Francis should have done better.

18. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    I watched a replay of this play five times and the player who received the pass was definitely beyond the last defender before the player with the ball made the pass!

porchlight repped this.
  19. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Crognail is an excellent nickname

the_rickler repped this.
  20. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    After seeing the photo above I will withdraw my foolish comment. My apologies!

21. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Just wanted to address some of the complaints about some of Pipa's overcooked corners from Saturday. I think it's worth pointing out that virtually all of last season (carrying the hernia injury) and early on this year, his deliveries have often failed to even beat the first man. If I'm feeling charitable, maybe it's all just a near post routine.

So Saturday night he whacks the hell out of at least three of them (not sure how many he took in total), and one of them leads to a goal. I don't know about you, but I've got no problem with that, particularly with the addition of some aerial targets that we lacked last year. Put Crognale or Mensah or, in Saturday's case, Ola on that back post and try to win it, get a knockdown, deflection, whatever. As long as Pipa can keep getting some air under his deliveries I'll take it every time.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  22. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ball is already gone at that point. I went back and looked at it frame by frame and it was close enough to give it to the attacker. Good job by the AR, I say. My season tickets are in 124, row 11, seats 1&2 and I had a very good view of it and went off when he didn't call it. After reviewing, I agree with his decision and feel bad that I shouted at a fellow referee like I did as I'm sure he heard it.

TRUJDUB and kgilbert78 repped this.
  23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always remember in cases like this that sometimes the other guy makes a good play. I mean, no one is talking about the keeper and defenders on Ola's goal on this board....

24. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously not enough if the ball was slid through...

25. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    We'll of obviously have to agree to disagree but do you see the two midfielders how close they are as the ball is slid through? Sometimes you have to admire the skill and precision rather than slam a player. We're talking inches here.