Match 35: IRN : POR - CACERES (PAR)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 25, 2018.

1. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Still doesn't work for me... but the reason why the Ronaldo penalty is clear for me is because you can contact/impact with his upper thigh in the angle showing a close up. The others ones are just too tough to see.

2. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He also showed have made the clear penalty made on Ricardo Quaresma but he completely whiffed on that (dangerous tackle in my opinion as well which could probably have been a red too). Then minutes later RQ retaliates. So he missed penalties on both sides.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Absolutely not. Quaresma had already fouled his marker a split second before that, the flag had gone up on it, and the whistle blown as a foul by Portugal, as the Iranian players hand (clearly unintentionally) hit Quaresma in the face. And that wasn't even in the box. He retaliated badly for a clearly unintentional hand to his face.

That game is over and so is the World Cup for both of our teams. I am not sure how much the referee was at fault for what I consider to be his inconsistent standards and errors, and how much of that was on the VAR team, but regardless that game wasn't officiated well. I agree with that. The same way I hope you would agree that if a penalty had been awarded to Iran in any of the incidents I showed here, there would have been no serious error by the referee. Unlike the handball penalty which was awarded to us and which was in error.

4. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ?

I am talking about the hard slide tackle challange on him that looked like cleats up. That is why he retaliated.

There was alot of error by the ref on both sides not just the handball awarded to Iran. The GK jumping his line is HUGE in my book as one of those errors.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am not sure we have the same recollection of what led Querisma to 'retaliate' with his unsportsmanlike conduct, although I assume you would know better. Regardless, I think it is time for both of us to move on. That game is over and there were plenty of scenes and incidents that we could quibble about, but I don't see the point? For me, if Iran had scored in the last second on that chance, it would have been a far more significant event than Portugal advancing to the R16 and exiting at the hands of Uruguay! In fact, maybe it would have been better for both of us if Iran had scored that goal. You could claim you were robbed by the referee and his errors. I could enjoy seeing how Iran would do in the knock out rounds for the first time in its history. Frankly, I have a sense we would have done better than either Portugal or Spain did!

6. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed. It's an endless circle to keep discussing this game. In the end it was a good tournament for Iran and a disappointing one for Portugal. If Iran won the group I think they could possibly beat Russia but not sure about Uruguay though.

Iranian Monitor repped this.