Match 3: WAL-SVK - MOEN (NOR)

Discussion in 'Euro 2016: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 10, 2016.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday June 11, 2016 - 12:00 (EDT) - Bordeaux
    Referee: Svein Oddar Moen

Assistant Referee 1: Kim Thomas Haglund
    Assistant Referee 2: Frank Andås
    Additional Assistant Referee 1: Ken Henry Johnsen
    Additional Assistant Referee 2: Svein-Erik Edvartsen
    Fourth Official: Aleksei Kulbakov (BLR)

This thread is for all pre-match, play-by-play and post-match discussion and analysis of the refereeing team. Per the forum guidelines http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/welcome-forum-guidelines.2032253), this thread will be heavily moderated. For more general or partisan discussions of the match, please go to the general Group thread or the individual team forums.

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That foul in the 4' could have gone in the opposite direction. Fast-paced start to this. Could be a very entertaining match.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you certainly could make a case for a penalty at 32'. You rarely seen that given, but you also rarely seen it done with that level of malice.

4. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oof, that incident in the PK in 32' sure seemed like a foul to me (although on replay, not quite as bad as I first thought). I wonder what the AAR thought he saw.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    741670884499394562 is not a valid tweet id

I have a penalty. The height differential just can't excuse the use of the arm and how deliberate the action is. I think yellow/red is debatable. AAR really has no excuse. Only thing I can think is that he's anticipating a normal shield and just isn't ready for the use of an elbow.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Moen's inability or reluctance to establish a firm consistent foul/misconduct line early has led to a flurry of (albeit correct) cautions late in the match. It almost feels like the approach is by design and it's something similar to how I felt Kassai used to approach his matches from about 2010-2013 or so. It's not wrong, obviously, but I think it's what keeps Moen firmly entrenched in UEFA's second tier of its Elite category.

London_ref repped this.
  7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Yes, he was way too lenient early, and allowed two nasty tackles (one each team) go unpunished, until finally
    cautioned the third culprit who was from Slovakia. Certainly inconsistent. Also not a lot of "take charge" presence.
    I think he would struggle in a really competitive hard-fought match.

PH

London_ref repped this.
  8. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    One of the referees who I think will leave France after the first round.

9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Urs Meier said clear penalty

10. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    That first half episode with a yellow card on a low challenge. I looked at the replay - one-footed 100% into the ball, no intent to injure. Yes, he knocked the ball out but the continued motion carried the defender into the attacker. Not only did I not see a card there, honestly, I did not see a foul.

11. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    See my previous post for an explanation of why he issued a caution then.

PH