Match 26: Revs at Red Bulls, 8/17/19 P/I/P

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by goussoccer, Aug 16, 2019.

1. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    A pivotal game in the schedule (though most are at this point given our circumstances.) Our record away to Red Bulls certainly no pretty. We are missing Farrell, they are missing Valot (though since May I believe.) We beat them back in April, but not sure that means anything to be honest.

GO REVS!!

From the MLS Preview page:

Series Matchup at Red Bulls
    • Red Bulls: 21 wins, 77 goals
    • Revolution: 8 wins, 49 goals
    • 8 draws
    Officials
    • Referee: Christopher Penso
    • Assistant Referees: Nick Uranga, Philippe Briere
    • 4th Official: Luis Guardia
    • VAR: Guido Gonzales Jr

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Assuming Delemea is still out, pretty much no backup at cdef (Mancienne/Anibaba starting). Probably Zahibo would be next on the depth chart?

And, virtually no depth at outside back either - unless DeJuan Jones is back.

Plenty of attacking options, though. Let's hope the back 4 stays healthy.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lemieux Previeux | Revs visit Red Bulls in "most important game to date"
    August 15, 2019, 4:19PM EDT
    Jeff Lemieux

6. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Thats a good bet!

I think Caicedo also has played CB and FB in professional games too, so he'd be among the first players up if there is an injury.

7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Is it time to give Agudelo his first start at defense?? I think of Chris Albright making that move and extending his USMNT career a bit. I think Juan has shown the ability to tackle, win balls and move the ball in a positive manner. I wonder if this is the opportunity to see that.....just saying. Not saying that is my preferred position, but I would think it is something Arena has contemplated.

8. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And some wonder why its called fake news. Just write anything to grab attention. Arena will soon learn where he stands when the lines go down

davidRN repped this.
  9. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    asctester repped this.
  10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Im expecting to see a lot of goals in this one, between NE's depleted defense and their resurgent offense.

RB seem to play in high scoring games as well

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    • First - hats off to the traveling fort. I could hear you guys loud and clear on the boob tube.
    • It's hard to avoid clichés with this one*. It was nice to see the improvement in the second half. If I had been a Red Bull fan, I would have had a bad feeling at halftime. I'm sure they thought they should have put it away by 45'. (Then again, if I had been a Red Bull fan, I would have had a bad feeling about not finishing 6th grade.)
    • So many Rev players had horrible games, it's hard to name one supergoat, but I will continue to pile on Castillo. Game after game, the other team has their best success attacking Castillo's side. In this game, he had nothing to offer on the attacking end either. Agudelo looked lost, and didn't recover in the second half. Mancienne and Anibaba looked like they had just met.
    • Turner was MOTM³. Right now, I'm not sure I can think of a better shot-stopper in MLS.
    • Again, Bou shows why he is worth the money.
    • Royer and Rzatkowski are both the real deal.
    • Toronto, Montreal and Orlando all tied, so the weekend was a wash except for NYCFC, who was playing Cincinnati, and Chicago, who beat Philly(!). 6th place and 10th separated by 2 points in the table. DCU currently losing to Vancouver; go Caps! The crimson cow plays DCU midweek, then fake Man City on the weekend. I think they are ripe for a slump.

* Any poster using "tale of two halves", or "good teams find a way to salvage a point" buys the next round. :)

goussoccer and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I kind of agree with what you're saying, but had a couple of different takeaways:
    1) Caldwell was my goat (bad). I dont normally love Zahibo, but he offered something playing out of the press. I have previously stumped for Caldwell's existence on the Revs roster, but last night he didnt look up to the level. Kudos to Bruce for noticing and making a decisive action.
    2) Castillo had a much better game from a defensive focus standpoint. He tracked every runner. I didnt think anyone on the backline had a great game, but my stinker of the match has to be Mancienne. His missed clearance (followed by Castillo's) are what lead to the RB goal.
    3) I liked the Juan at wingback experiment and was happy it ended after 20 min. It was an idea. I will note that on the revs goal he receives the ball near the circle and makes a great pass to Gil. Maybe they should go back to playing him as an 8.
    4) Everyone's passes seemed behind their targets. I plan to rewatch the game today, but no field players felt like they deserved an A
    5) Bruce got his xi and formation wrong, but his subs and adjustments were perfect
    6) Matt Turner is the GOAT (good) for this game

13. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no use for Castillo and next to no use for Mancienne . His missed tackle cost us the game and other teams are attacking Castillo cause hes so weak. I cant believe Arena will stand for Mancienne for long... even if he dies have an English accent

We were lucky to get a point since we stunk for most of the game.

14. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to add... still little from Teal as a center. How much longer will Arena tolerate this?

pwykes repped this.
  15. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Agree with the post, especially liked the bolded part!! Glad I read it before I posted...as we were a VERY different team in the second half -- one that went from not being able to complete two passes in a row (and many times not even one!) to one with 57% of the possession and some nice opportunities.

Bou and Giles seem to understand each other -- the others not so much. Shows you that soccer intelligence is a real thing.

In regards to the 'Statistical Analysis' thread, I would imagine that we once again gave up much fewer goals than an xGA analysis would have projected. This can only go on so long before you have to admit that a shot-stopping goalie who is hot can defy statistics. The BWP shot on the cross late in the game had goal written all over it. Amazing save.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was incredible - truly a world class save. Turner was immense all game.

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I'm worried that sooner or later Turner will stop being hotter than the sun. Even if he starts being merely average the team could tank in the standings

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    - Caldwell was too rusty - the inactivity showed and I think it was glaringly obvious that he was a weak point in the first half. Credit to Arena for making that adjustment.

- to me, Agudelo offered nothing in this game. He didn't hold the ball well, didn't advance it, didn't do anything great on defense, ...

- in the first half, the RBs were crowding the ball, pressuring us in our own end. The only 'good' response to that is to move the ball quickly and precisely away from the pressure, yet we often failed to recognized that and more often failed to react properly to it.

- Anibaba is very good defensively, but very, very poor in distributing the ball. Too many aimless clearances played right into the Bull's pressure tactics. I never thought we'd miss Farrell so much, but I think his absence was HUGE in this game.

- we started to shift the momentum at about 35 minutes. I think we pretty much played them even for the remainder of the half, then really controlled the 2nd half. I wouldn't say we ever reached the sustained pressure that we had been under for the first half, but it was really glaring how much NJ conceded in the 2nd. To draw to a virtual tie in possession, %49-51, was near miraculous.

- refereeing was very inconsistent IMO. I have a real problem with allowing 'physical' challenges - the rules are pretty specific about what kind of physical charges are allowed and what aren't. It shouldn't matter if it's a little nudge from behind or more than that - if it causes a loss of possession it's a foul.

- the one call I really have complaints about was when Bou got free of Long and was heading in on goal. Long caught him by grabbing Bou's arm. That should have been a foul and a yellow to Long. OTOH, I wish Bou's dribble had taken him to his left, into Long's path, causing him to break stride. That probably would have caused Long to either stumble or have to drag him down in desperation, a clear DOGSO.

- Jones didn't get many minutes, but managed to make an immediate impact. I think LB will be his next week. Castillo has survived in the lineup because he's created offensive chances, but there was little of that in this one.

- Pretty fair result overall, but RB had their chance to build up a multi-goal lead and failed to do it.

And, I hope we're done with this 5 back lineup. In two full road games all it's done is blunt our attack.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena was asked if he has met with Belichick yet. He said no, just more politely. To infer from that that meeting with Belichick is one of his priorities (aims) is disingenuous at best.

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Oh, and is Bou clinical or what? I saw him going in and thought about how many MLS players don't convert that chance, either shooting wide or letting the keeper shut them down. Cool as a cucumber ... The RBs had how many similar opportunities and could get them past Turner?

Doublecard, Jon Martin, BERich and 2 others repped this.
  21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not see much of the game. I know that there isn't many games left in the season but to me it seems like Gil and Bou have formed the makings of one of the best combo's in the league. They certainly seem to be enjoying playing on the same pitch together and seem to be getting a better understanding of how each other plays. I think they are only going to get better

A Casual Fan repped this.
  22. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to feeling very fortunate to come away with a point after that appalling first half, it would be hard to ask for better scores around the league to keep our playoff hopes viable. If we can get a win and a draw out of the next two games we’ll be in decent shape. Standings around us are so close that not losing to teams below us will be important to staying above the line.

23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't expect to see Caldwell that often the rest of the season. Then , Adios. Same with Fagundez.

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always liked Caldwell but lately, I think hes looked to not be part of Bruce's plans so I would agree about his being on thin left.. Not so sure about Diego though. Yes he has fallen off this year but he is still somewhat useful at times so I would think da Bruce might keep him around if he cant sign anybody better. Funny how BF had him pegged to replace Lee and now.... were wondering if there would even be a seat for him next year. For me I want to see Castillo gone and the defense in general bolstered. I can live with Diego but not Castillo. He kills us.

25. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Funny, we lose Burnsie and our two home grown players somehow lose traction with the team....

Don't get me wrong I like both Scottie and Diego, but it's hard to argue with the results recently without much contribution from either of them.