Match #24 USA and Canada, 06/21/07

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Moises, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Le Zebre

Le Zebre Member

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you don't need any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmc7lkaIKtE

the last 30 seconds they just show the replay over and over again...not only were they ONSIDE when the canadian player last touched the ball but the american defender actually headed the ball to the canadian player...wasn't even a deflection. So clear, don't know how they got it wrong.

2. valvoxahsweet

valvoxahsweet New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Ah, do you realize what class is? Obviously not, since you decide to avoid the game of soccer for 75% of your post and simply bash a country instead. High class, for sure. Your mother tought you well.

So essentially what you're saying, despite that we did beat you last night, that we controlled possession for most of the game, that we were able to get past your old and slow defense, is that your side is better. Right.

It IS a shame that America doesn't support this team. Can I stop that? No. All I can do is support my country and go from there.

and BTW, tell Michael Bradley that we have no midfield. a 19 year old American dominated the middle 3rd of the game last night. Just thought I'd let you know.

3. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem those of us who posted on the time issue were concerned with was that 4 minutes was way too much to begin with. That's the issue we had. That being said, as I agreed elsewhere, you were hosed. This is Concacaf, getting hosed by the refs is par for the course, I'm just depressed that of all the ways to win, this is the way my country won, by the refs hosing our opponents.

Good luck in qualifying, and if there's anyway to put a shine on this ----, perhaps its that your team can completely focus on qualifying for the hex, and in the hex, rather than potentially doing that, plus playing in the confed cup in two years time, if you were to have won this game, and won the ensuing final. Although he backed away from the argument when Reading finished just inches from making the Uefa cup after their first ever season in the premiership, I did think there was reason in his argument that the Uefa Cup would have made more sense when they were firmly ensconced in the premiership rather than tenuously finishing off their first and second seasons as a debutante. Much the same way, being able to focus exclusively on qualifying may help the team, particularly if you have problems with call ups.

Good luck going forward. Stand up and be proud, you pushed the US into silver goal OT and got screwed, now get the job done in qualifying so we can see you on the world stage, like your youngesters starting next week.

4. MrEleganza

MrEleganza Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Delaware, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    1. I don't think it matters whether Onyewu botched a header or just innocently richocheted off of him. If I'm standing between you and a guy 15 yards offside, and you try to pass it to him, and I try to get a piece of it but only manage just that, a piece, and it still arrives at the attacker's feet thanks to your pass I couldn't completely defend, it's still offsides. You ultimately provided the momentum by which the ball got to him.

2. I've finally seen the replay, thanks to your posting, and I agree...Hutchinson was always onside. You did indeed get hosed. That said, it was a very close call, with Hutchinson and the defender about even, the type of close call that the linesman gets incorrect (one way or the other) at least once in every game in every league. It wasn't the egregious, unprecedented error being represented here.

This can't be stated enough. It's why I really don't feel too bad about the result (which I would have if it happened a minute into stoppage time, say). You only got the opportunity to get hosed on the offside because we got hosed on the time to begin with. In the second half, there were really no injuries or goal celebrations to speak of from a significant time-delay standpoint. We should've seen LESS that the seeming-average of 3 minutes per second-half stoppage time, instead we got more.

5. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    The 4 minutes added were perfectly valid. There is a standard that 30 seconds are added for each sub. There were 5 in the 2nd half, so you're already looking at 2min 30sec. Plus more time for the red card, a little bit of injury consideration, and to make up for time wasting.

Therefore 4 minutes was fair.

6. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Normally, referees of countries already eliminated get to do such games. I'd like to know who was the guy that gave the OK for Archundia to referee that game...

7. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I have had so many reported posts in this thread, it has a lot of good posts but also thousands of offensive ones, so we better close it

If somebody wants to add something else, create a new thread with the specific topic

thank you

CANDADO

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    wow this guy must have been the one that paid archundia to preserve his prediction intact!

congrats...