Match #24 USA and Canada, 06/21/07

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Moises, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sartoris

Sartoris New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Exactly......................

2. SCCS Coach

SCCS Coach Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I've always said Canada has the potential to be a force at the international level if they could just get their act together at the top. This tournament has proved that potential exists. Now if they can build on this there is no reason they can't be in the Hex in 2009.

But I think both sides need to show a little more class here... Canada fans: It hurts to lose when you get so close, especially in this manner. But it is what it is. No amount of arguing with the Yanks is going to reverse the result. Instead, hold your head up, and congratulate team for an inspiring performance. Be optimistic about the future. Your team left it all on the field and came this close || to knocking off a World Cup team.

For my fellow USA fans: We won another game in this tournament by the skin of our teeth's. Let's quit fighting with Canucks, congratulate them for pushing us to the brink, and start focusing on Mexico. There is no reason to draw this out any further and its just going to agitate the Canadian fans when they are already in a pissed off mood.

Now, is the replay on YouTube or anything?

3. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummmm... I'm still on BigSoccer, right?

4. valvoxahsweet

valvoxahsweet New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Aww....poor canadians...just because you STILL haven't beaten the US since, what, 1984, you have to bitch and moan? Give me a break.

5. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    did the Braves play today?

6. Berkovic

Berkovic New Member

May 28, 2006
    Kfar-Saba, Israel
    So, does anyone have the highlights of the game?

7. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  8. Sartoris

Sartoris New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    No we just outclass you, outskill you, and beat you in all aspects of eduaction and life. Most americans when they leave the USA realise how ignorant they were raised...Do yourself a favor and leave the nest for awhile and see how liked and respected you are. Than see how your "game" is respected. We have more players abroad, and our game is now more respected than the brutal game of the USA. Our players get higher transfer fees...You kick, run and chase and hope for a bounce. You have no skill no midfield and no future. Who is your future edu???? LOLOLOL! The guy can barely score a goal in the USA let alone on the world stage. Watch our U-20's and watch out in the WCQ"s , u have been warned!
    Awwww poor americans your dollar and economy are going to sh!t...Had to make sure a stadium got its revenues.....lol.I'd worry about the now and not the than there quickdraw. Our time is around the corner you already proved you're boring as hell to watch... & your fans barely fill half a stadium, what a shame. Nice to see the Mexican people support the Tri's! Its funny how Mexico has more fans in the USA than the americans. Why you think that is? The product on the field is sh!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your last win against us for a very long time. :rolleyes:

9. SCCS Coach

SCCS Coach Member

Nov 29, 2006
    See, these are the kinds of things that just make it worse. Satoris' comments are particularly uncalled for. Keep in mind, it was just a soccer game.

10. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    y dnt u stop baller blockin him?? lol u just mad that his right

11. Cmoney101

Cmoney101 Member

May 19, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No we just outclass you, outskill you, and beat you in all aspects of eduaction and life. Most americans when they leave the USA realise how ignorant they were raised...Do yourself a favor and leave the nest for awhile and see how liked and respected you are. Than see how your "game" is respected. We have more players abroad, and our game is now more respected than the brutal game of the USA. Our players get higher transfer fees...You kick, run and chase and hope for a bounce. You have no skill no midfield and no future. Who is your future edu???? LOLOLOL! The guy can barely score a goal in the USA let alone on the world stage. Watch our U-20's and watch out in the WCQ"s , u have been warned!
    Awwww poor americans your dollar and economy are going to sh!t...Had to make sure a stadium got its revenues.....lol.I'd worry about the now and not the than there quickdraw. Our time is around the corner you already proved you're boring as hell to watch... & your fans barely fill half a stadium, what a shame. Nice to see the Mexican people support the Tri's! Its funny how Mexico has more fans in the USA than the americans. Why you think that is? The product on the field is sh!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your last win against us for a very long time. :rolleyes:

You know the Canadian economy depends on the USA right? Wow your pretty much an embarrassment to all of Canada.

12. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    CONCACAF is a joke.

Why even bother playing when the outcome is already known?

Bullshit.

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for contributing your deep insights to the conversation.

*edited for the kids...*

14. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Stating the obvious just makes me feel better after the robbery I witnessed last night.

I just needed to get that out of my system.

15. maddskillz

maddskillz New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    "No we just outclass you, outskill you, and beat you in all aspects of eduaction and life. Most americans when they leave the USA realise how ignorant they were raised...Do yourself a favor and leave the nest for awhile and see how liked and respected you are. Than see how your "game" is respected. We have more players abroad, and our game is now more respected than the brutal game of the USA. Our players get higher transfer fees...You kick, run and chase and hope for a bounce. You have no skill no midfield and no future. Who is your future edu???? LOLOLOL! The guy can barely score a goal in the USA let alone on the world stage. Watch our U-20's and watch out in the WCQ"s , u have been warned!
    Awwww poor americans your dollar and economy are going to sh!t...Had to make sure a stadium got its revenues.....lol.I'd worry about the now and not the than there quickdraw. Our time is around the corner you already proved you're boring as hell to watch... & your fans barely fill half a stadium, what a shame. Nice to see the Mexican people support the Tri's! Its funny how Mexico has more fans in the USA than the americans. Why you think that is? The product on the field is sh!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your last win against us for a very long time."

We can go back and forth on how this game should have ended, but the bottom line is Canada could not control the midfield while the US was on the attack. The US backed off and went into stall mode when they should have finished the game. That to me is not strong soccer, it's playing not to lose. When you have numbers and can finish the game 3-1 you do it, don't pull the ball out to the corner to eat minutes. This was the US game to lose, they controlled the midfield, and Canada had the stronger forwards. Canada had to rely on a conroversial play up a man to force extra minutes, and it didnt play out in their favor. I am furstrated at the decision to make such late substitutions on the US side when the team is so deep, and to go into stall mode.

All sports suffer from conservative moves like this, stalling at the 1/2 line in hoops, prevent defense in fotball, and resting strong closers in baseball for the next game when you have a lead.

In response to your post, I think it reflects everything that is bad and wrong with international sports. You have no respect for your opponent, yet you demand respect for your country . . . thankfully I know better as I have been to Canada on both business and pleasure, and know first hand that you have many reasons to be proud of your country.

Posts like this do nothing but embarass yourself while doing nothing for the great sport of soccer.

The sun came out today in the US, I'm thinking it did in Canada too. Lighten up :rolleyes:

16. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    FYP...

Everyone who watched the tournament from beginning to this point knows that we almost didn't have the final the whole world predicted. If there ever was a time when we wouldn't see a US/MX final.... this was it.... the refs throughout the tournament continued to crap on the event.

17. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Its both though. The Refs and the entire organisation.

If it was one missed call, every once in awhile, I'd understand. But to see the same ref, Benito Archundia, and his crew, screw you over twice now, is tragically disheartening. It makes you question why you even bother following the game at all.

Never mind the fact that a Mexican ref should not have been doing this match in the first place, because of the conflict of interest. But I blame the CSA for not saying something about that sooner. The must have known well before the match that the ref was Mexican.

18. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Found this elsewhere, http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/ in which the statement is made that the AR told some of the Canadian players that he thought a Canadian had headed the ball not an American. If this is the case, it would explain why the flag went up. The statement is unattributed, and I haven't seen it anywhere else...

19. jtrex

jtrex Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Providence
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking for some clarification, unfortunately I didn't see the match last night but did watch the highlights this morning. I've heard the point from a number of people that even though it was a terrible call, the goal was scored in at about 5 minutes when there was supposed to be 4 minutes of stoppage time so it should have been over already. But when I watch the highlights Canada's second goal came just before the clock turns to 94:00. Am I having a math brain fart? Otherwise I don't know where the 5 minute excuse comes from.

20. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    The goal was scored at 94:02.

People need to realize that the added time is completely up to the ref's discretion. He can blow his whistle earlier or he can blow it later. It isn't a set time.

21. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    What is displayed on the board is supposed to be a "minimum" amount of time added on. You can argue the 4 minutes (but the USA was timewasting like crazy, their were 5 subs, a red card, and couple other incidents, so I think 4 minutes was acceptable). But you can't argue it was too late once the 4 minutes went up. NO official is going to blow play dead in the middle of a breakaway.

22. jtrex

jtrex Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Providence
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude I know, come on now that's childish, I don't think anybody who would come on Big Soccer wouldn't know that.

My whole point was if it was scored anywhere near 94:00 then it was about right and around the 4 minute mark. People (who know the rules of soccer) were telling me it was almost 5 minutes which would have to be near 95:00. They also told me that the commentators were saying that it should've been over due to that point also. That's what I didn't get.

23. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    jtrex, the comment was not directed at you. It was a general statement for the people who act like added time is absolute.

It sounds like we both have a similar understanding of the rule in question here.

24. Gilly73

Gilly73 New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    It is dissapointing to have the referee's once again (World Cup 06) blow calls and have an effect on the outcome of a match. I was there last night and both teams deserved better calls.

This was a fantastic match that really should have gone to Extra Time. I would have loved to see these teams continue to play. I bleed red, white & blue but I want a fair match and what happened last night just didn't seem fair.

If you are a Canadian fan you should be very pleased with your country's efforts in this tournament. The gap is very narrow between the top teams in CONCACAF now. But alas, CONCACAF & the promoters of the Gold Cup got the final they wanted.

25. jtrex

jtrex Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Providence
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood, no harm done! Yes, we're on the same page.