Match #24 USA and Canada, 06/21/07

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Moises, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RafaMarquez

RafaMarquez New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rosarito
    i completely agree

bocanegra should have been sent off in the first half

2. maddskillz

maddskillz New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    "Canada got f*ked big time "

No, the US ALMOST got fugged because the refs can't tell time. Not to mention the whistle, if any of you play organized sports you know . . . when it blows you stop. Players don't play after the whistle, YOU STOP.

You simply can not count that play!

A) The game was over
    B) The whistle blew

3. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Kudos to all of the many American fans who agreed that the call was wrong & that Bocanegra should have been red-carded.

With respect to those who are complaining that the 4 minutes were up.....the "4 minutes" refers to the MINIMUM amount of time to be played. The Ref keeps the time on the field. The goal was scored a second or two after 4 minutes were played. Nice attempt to clutch at some straws however.

4. maddskillz

maddskillz New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    On a positive note for all sides I think we are seeing the makings of a great rivalry . . . I for one can't wait to see them meet again.

Both sides have something to be proud about, and it only makes CONCACAF stronger.

Canada has some serious talent up front and in their midfield, I have no reason to believe they won't make the World Cup.

5. Captain Canuck

May 13, 2002
    Give it up. You are convincing no-one. The US defenders & Keller did not stop on the play.

6. maddskillz

maddskillz New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    "The Ref keeps the time on the field. The goal was scored a second or two after 4 minutes were played. Nice attempt to clutch at some straws however."

If it was a second or two, that is too long. That is why THEY KEEP TIME. :rolleyes:

And yes, I am well aware the ref "keeps time" on the field, and in this case "keeps time" is used very loosely. He failed to do his job.

7. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disagree....it looked worse than it was because the canuck went flying, but the ball was in the immediate area, Bocanegra came in from the front on the side where the ball was, and missed, and hit him in the knee. Yellow card was sufficient, it was not malicious in intent.

Bradley's red, clearly a red, tackle from behind with the ball already gone

8. Captain Canuck

May 13, 2002
    What part of the word "Minimum" do you not understand?

9. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My impression as well. I couldn't for the life of me understand why he did that, was he trying to send it to Keller? Was he trying to top Boca for stupidest American header ever? I'm not sure, but what seems clear was that he deliberately did it, and he couldn't have headed it into a worse place other than straight back into his own net.

10. maddskillz

maddskillz New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    "Give it up. You are convincing no-one. The US defenders & Keller did not stop on the play. "

I'm not trying to convince a Canadian fan of anything, I am sure your opinion is set in stone. Again, is the play controversial . . . sure. Was it the right call overall, I say yes.

As for everyone playing during the whistle your really stretching it. Did they completely stop, no. Did they slow down from their full game speed, YES. It only takes a second of hesitation at this level to allow for a big play to occur. And that is what happend, it allows for played to get a few more feet into space, or a goalie to react a little slower when you hear the whistle.

Enough of this though, the game is over and the US moves on. The US is the better team, they are deeper and have the more talented midfield, they win this game going away if Donovan finishes the gimme.

Good luck in future matches, it was a well played game overall for both sides. Sure it wasn't perfect soccer, but it was entertaining, and as I said earlier you can feel a great rivalry forming between this countries on the pitch.

That's a good thing :cool:

11. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Canada is looking like a great team.

They got skills, speed, alot of heart and if they didnt get screwed by the ref, I'm pretty sure they would have won the game.

I hope Canada can keep up their great work.

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe the other guy didn't make it clear. 4 minutes is the MINIMUM time added the ref must see through. Plays are always allowed to carry over past that time. Good attempt at trying to make what happened seem fair though. Too bad no one will buy it.

Anyway this game clearly showed Canada to be the better side with the US grabbing a couple of goals off 2 of their few threats. Playing wise we made them look vastly inferior and by qualifiers it won't be close anymore as we still have plenty of starters and strong options who weren't on the team and yet we still fielded the best side in the Tournament.

13. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any of it was fair in the least. I also think 4:45 or so of injury time/extra time was patently absurd. 2-3 was easily the most that belonged. I believe that as firmly as I believe you were hosed all things considered on the goal.

All I ask of Canada is that they play like they did for the most part in 4 of their 5 Gold Cup matches when qualifying comes around. We want to see this Canada in the '09 hex, not some joke Canada getting bounced by the "10-0-(flopping fish)" strategy of hacking/flopping Guatemala. Kick some rear in semifinal qualifying so we can renew this rivalry in '09. :)

14. Sartoris

Sartoris New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Umm we just schooled you on the pitch...U blind! Our field play and skill level puts yours to shame...Look at the faces of the US players and look at their heads at the end of the match, they were hangin pretty low. As a professional you know when you were gifted and you guys were just that. The organisers dream come true. Its revenue for everyone with Mexico-Usa. Dont worry we will qualify its the USA who should worry about qualifying. Umm we were in the 86 World Cup and we hammered you guys in the Gold Cup in 2000/2001. Watch the under 20's...watch the WC qualifiers will see whos laughing last.

15. RafaMarquez

RafaMarquez New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rosarito
    Completely agree.

De Guzman and De Rosario are studs

16. maddskillz

maddskillz New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    I understand fully how the time works, I played the game for years . . . however, when you add four minutes to play when two would have been plenty (and I mean PLENTY) and then go over that by 45 seconds that is poor time management.

Both teams have plenty to work on, and Canada's backline has SERIOUS issues. THEY ARE SLOW, and you can't teach that.

The US did a poor job of finishing the game and allowing themselves to go down a man which fired Canada up for the finish.

Hopefully they can learn from that mistake, and finish games stronger in the future.

The US MUST get better at finishing around the goal too. Very, very weak effort today.

17. Sartoris

Sartoris New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    The next thing you guys will argue is that you are have the fastest man on the planet too....lmao! I'm referring to Mr dope himself Justin Gatlin:eek: U guys have a bad repuation on the Internatioanl level I hope for your sakes as a Nation you actually start winning something on "merit". Alot of you arguing dont evn know the laws of the game. Than again a select few sure the hell do and most certainly agree the call was as obvious as OJ was guilty. Jeeeesh show some character and call a spade a spade or better yet educate yourself before you speak. The ref blew it big time and he will be punished by FIFA and so will the assistant. So better days to come for the Canadian Footbal Association and fans. We are showing the world that we can play with WC squads such as Costa Rica and the USA, actually we can school them....:D Its funny too how DeRosario has scored some of the most important goals in MLS history...Oh sh!t is he Canadian too?:) Or does your league count as "Professional yet" Because I sure the hell dont see many US players makin any big splashes overseas...

18. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The stoppage of play should have nothing to do with it. We've seen many players stop play at what they thought was offside only to be burned. What makes this case any different.

The flag is not the whistle. Referees have ignored flags before (rightly and wrongly).

If any US player was foolish enough to stop play because a flag went up and not because they heard a whistle, it is a problem of their own making.

In this case, I think that the stoppage of play by an Americans had nothing to do with it. The referee trusted his assistant .... in this case wrongly.

B

19. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti

Great post

20. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Horse hockey! The timing of the game is at the discretion of the referee. If more stoppages take place within stoppage time, he is fully within his rights and duties to add that time on as well.

B

21. Sartoris

Sartoris New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    And for all you real fans of the game...A certain Owen Hargreaves who was born in Calgary, Alberta , CANADA and only left when he was 16-17yrs old so he could establish himself and develop his skills. His parents still live in Calgary and so does his immediate family. He is a product of the almighty FC BAYERN has any american had any status as his???He was only picked up by one of the biggest if not biggest clubs in the world, a certain Manchester United for a small fee of 18MILLION POUNDS/30MILLION USD...........This is after breaking his leg last year too and only playing afew matches. My oh my do I ever like being intelligent and well educated. Whats it like being raised in the good ol USA???

So he plays for England, its an honor for us Canadians as much as it saddens us. But ask him now if he had a second choice what he would have done as far as which countries shirt we would have put on first...He is interviewed and admired by many kids in Canada. He has won Championships at every level more than any AMERICAN! You may say he's English and he doesnt count but than you would only be showing your ignorance more. We have a player(s) that are valued more than your players and teh proof isd in the transfer markets. It sucks being right all the time I know....Enjoy your evening guys knowing you were gifted a match for one last time....

22. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched the replay recently so I'm not sure if the player actually was offsides when it was first played to him, but IF he was, then it was a good call regardless of whether or not it went off gooch.

23. SCCS Coach

SCCS Coach Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Is the highlight posted somewhere?

24. Sartoris

Sartoris New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Do you want me to star in on the USL next....Montreal Impact and Vancouver are supreme ya wanna argue that tomorrow? I'll give you the night to educate yourself on the league first and the teams.....LMAO. Portland and Seattle are always up there but truth be told........We rule that league too. God I love being a Canadian! :)

25. Sartoris

Sartoris New Member

Jun 21, 2007

READ and watch the replay....you posted it read and watch dont imagine. Hand ball? Hip Check? Bocanegra should be banned for life. WE school you and you cant beat us legitimatly so yo have to try and end a players career??? FECK ARE YOU EVER IGNORANT! How dare you! Go swallow some Javex or somethin. Seriously I may sound harsh but the US players could not keep up with GUZ and Gerba and others so you try and break their legs? Dont you start bitchin about calls you got your penalty you got your gift att the end of the match. Bradley is an idiot whos fitness was left at the bar the night before and Bocanegra will be lucky if he leaves Canada alive next time he sets foot in one of our stadiums. Seriously you guys have not one player at our skill level not one. You have hard working midfielders and natural finishers thats it. Oh yeah and Beasley whos almost as fast as Donovan Bailey:p