Match #22 - Costa Rica vs Mexico (pbp/discussion) [R]

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by MoRado, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    For semis and the finals Concacaf should call south american refs, the refs of Concacaf...they all SUCK, yesterdays ref was the most atrocious one I've ever seen in my life.

2. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are you kidding me? American referees are the worst. Obviously you didn't see Terry Vaughn helping the Mexicans yesterday. Oh, how many professional referees does the US have? What, only 4? Are you kidding? What, you're not?

What a ****ing joke.

3. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...eh?

Hmmm...

I would be careful about your choice of words, Coach Medford. News flash: There are millions of women around the world who play this game, too. Don't make an enemy out of all of them, or else you're going to be roasted alive like the victims of the Amazons. :rolleyes:

4. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: ...eh?

come to think of it. There is a conspiracy. This tourney is fixed. There is no way CR doesnt win it otherwise.

In fact, I am quite suspect of you guys...

[​IMG]

5. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico does have a bunch of girls playing football, and a good bunch at that. Abstain from any confusion. :eek:

6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: ...eh?

Medford, sure does have a big mouth and comes off as a sore loser.

7. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
  8. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    lol. Good one.

9. Texian Soldier

Texian Soldier New Member

May 3, 2007
    It's SALVADORAN you illiterate bastard, and though I do enjoy pupusas I prefer baliadas, but your dumb ass is to damn stupid to know where those are from.

BTW Mexico still sucks, Borgetti and Blanco are still whiny mental bitches, and Mexico continues to show why they are a second rate soccer nation.

10. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pupasas are ********ing awesome, too bad there are none to be found in Cleveland except for the ones my wife or I make and I'm not a very good cook. Thanks for ruining my day. :mad:

I guess that's one thing I miss about San Diego.

11. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    lol... well some other people also think mexico was helped... they are probably wrong too

12. Yo_soy_rayado5

Jun 16, 2006
    El Norte
    lol where did you get this?

13. Mstr. Baitor

Mstr. Baitor Member

Dec 14, 2005
    A Mexican news outlet, mediotiempo.com.

Texan soldier... yeah we might suck, its quite possible but we're still playing. What about your team?

Jejeje

Bwahaha.

Illiterate? Hardly.

Immature, quite so... haha

14. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dorkville is in CONCACAF? I thought they were in UEFA.

16. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    I was about to say something of the sort. While I have to admit Mexico was the better team, we were royally screwed the entire match, and I have a hard time believing, after watching an enormous sold-out stadium with 95% Tricolor fans two days ago, that the powers that be don´t want another USA-Mexico final to rake in more ticket sales.

I know Costa Rica didn´t play its normal attacking skillful style blah blah blah but when you go a man down early in the game, that changes the entire approach(and can really piss a team off, especially if its a rediculous call). That was the first time I ever watched Costa Rica play the way they did, and its pretty obvious why.

But bottom line, CONCACAF refs suck.

Think Prendergast from Jamaica who rediculously sent off Bruce Arena twice in World Cup qualifiers, and ruined the Saprissa/Toluca game last year...

Mexican Eduardo Cordesal Mendez in the 1990 World Cup final, which was considered the worst referreed WC final in history...

An American ref(forgot his name) who ruined the Norway Brazil game in the 1998 WC with a cheezy penatly...

Probably the worst ever referreed Gold Cup game two days ago...

Several others I don´t have time to list. We would probably do better(for now) getting refs from CONMEBOL or UEFA until ours improve.

17. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When discussing horrible officiated games you got to include Benito Archundia stealing a game from Canada in the last World Cup Qualifying round in a game between Canada and Honduras. First with Canada up 1-0 he calls a phantom penalty in the 88th minute when a Honduran player tripped over his own feet while trying to make a quick cut, and then with the score 1-1 Oliver Occean scored in injury time, but Archundia disallowed the goal on a phantom foul. Occean controlled the ball buy raising his foot quite high and was called for 'dangerous play' despite no Honduran players being anywhere near him. Literally, the closest Honduran player was at least 10' away. The only time a Honduran player was near him is after a Honduran player closed Occean down after he was already celebrating his goal.

18. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    The World Cup last year was full of crap officiating too....a lot of it from UEFA refs...same with 2002....(2 times in a row now that the US has seen it's WC end with crap calls from a Euro ref...vs Germany, and vs Ghana)

re the comment on Norway vs Brazil in 1998....IIRC (and I'm pretty sure that I do) they were able to find a video replay within a couple days of that game from some Euro media outlet/tv channel that proved he made the right call. (I forget the ref's name, but he's pretty much the best ref we've ever had and is running the USSF ref program now.)

19. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    As far as last year, there were at least(probably more) 12 crystal-clear penalties that went uncalled in the first round, its hard to believe the supposed best refs in the world would make the exact same error so many times, in the same tournament; to me it looked almost like they were under orders from FIFA not to call penalties, maybe to clean up diving.

And in 1998, Brazilian Junior Baiano slightly tugged Norweigan Flo´s shirt and he fell in the opposite direction(which is what the replays eventually found), it probably could have gone either way.

But the bottom line is CONCACAF refs aren´t usd to big pressure games(think Barcelona-Real Madrid, Chelsea Man U, Juventus-AC Milan, Boca-River, Peñarol-Nacional, etc.) Only the Mexican league, an occasional DC United-Galaxy or Saprissa-Alajuelense game has anything resembling that. Jamaica(where Prendergast comes from) doesn´t even have a fully professional league. Both him and the ref in the Costa Rica-Mexico game looked intimidated when the players got in his face, and also looked easily influenced by the crowd.

20. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I agree with pretty much all your points. (Except it sure as hell didn't seem like the refs were "under orders from FIFA not to call penalties, maybe to clean up diving" in our game vs Ghana. Ghana was flopping all over the place and fooled the ref into giving them a penalty too. But that's not to take away from your and my point about their crap officiating.)

Oh, and I remembered the bame of the US ref in 1998....Esse Baharmast (sp?)

21. mcadaal

mcadaal Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Temper.. Temper. :D

22. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Well World Rivalries is down thanks to some prick named Prawn Sandwich, so we have nowhere to go now:D

23. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    and its time to let this thread rest...

CANDADO