Match #21 - Honduras vs Guadeloupe (pbp/discussion) [R]

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by scaryice, Jun 14, 2007.

1. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    actually yeah they did...they should've finished that game easily

2. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    gaudeloop is france B team

3. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    yeh but they (brasil, mavericks, tigers) choke once in a while ,but not on big important games!!!

4. Zimbabwe_National

Zimbabwe_National New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Guadeloupe only get over aged former french national team men or players that have not been called up to france squad and are from guadeloupe. 4or 5 years down the line your gonna see Theirry Henry play for Martinique. and maybe 3 years Thuram for guadeloupe lol but this is hardly France B if you wanna call it lol but yea guadeloupe can play but IF IF you see if big there if they were to beat USA then it would be guadeloupe in Gold Cup no matter what thier fifa status is.

this might even get FIFA to make a realization that guadeloupe can play with the big teams and then let thtme in fifa as a full member i mena ya never know.

5. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Guadeloupe. Best small country performance by a CONCACAF country in the Gold Cup or WCQ in recent memory.

6. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Congrats to Guadeloupe.

7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Well to be honest, I'm shocked they defeated Honduras. This was unbelieveable. Awesome job by Guadeloupe. Angloma is really giving his country a shot in the arm.

8. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Please stop referring to Guadeloupe as France B please.

The vast majority of these guys aren't even in the running for a French National team spot, either because they are

1) too old, like Joelyn Angloma (former french NT, but not anything of a mainstay)

2) too inexperienced (play in extremely low divisons - guadelopan teams are like in the French 6th or 7th division in the French cup)

3) not good enough (France has tons of players in overseas leagues that don't make the NT once in their career)

GK: Marius Fausta (Evolucas), (Guadeloupe)
    Franck Grandel (FC Utrecht/NED), (Eredivise)
    Fabrice Mercury (CS Moulien);(Guadeloupe)

DF:
    Miguel Comminges (Reims/FRA), (French 2nd Division)
    Philippe Durpes (Romorantin/FRA), (French 3rd Division)
    David Fleurival (FC Tours/FRA), (French 2nd Division, relegated)
    David Sommeil (Sheffield United/ENG), (EPL - relegated)
    Michael Tacalfred (Dijon/FRA), (French 2nd Division)
    Alain Vertot (Etoile de Morne-à-l'Eau);(Guadeloupe)

MD:
    Jocelyn Angloma (Etoile de Morne-à-l'Eau), (Guadeloupe)
    Stéphane Auvray (Vannes FC/FRA), (French 3rd Division)
    Lery Hannany (Racing Club), (Guadeloupe)
    Jean Luc Lambourde (Amical Club), (Guadeloupe)
    Dominique Mocka (JS Vieux-Habitants), (Guadeloupe)
    Marving Onestas (J/Evolution), (Guadeloupe)
    Ludovic Quistin (Tamworth FC/ENG), (Conference)
    Constant Therezine (AS Gosier); (Guadeloupe)

AT:
    Aurélien Capoue (FC Nantes/FRA), (French Ligue 1 -relegated)
    Cédrick Fiston (A.J.S.S.), (Guadeloupe)
    Ludovic Gotin (CS Moulien), (Guadeloupe)
    Loic Loval (FC Utrecht/NED), (Eredivise)
    Fabien Raddas (Poissy/FRA), (French 4th division)
    Richard Socrier (Brest/FRA). (French 2nd Division)

I'm not even sure that Guadeloupe has it own league, I think they share with Martinique and French Guyana or something of the sort. Certainly theirs is a great achievement - no caribbean island has been to the semis since TNT in 2000, but please don't exagerrate. At best this is one of France's D, maybe C . I would like to see them a full fledged fifa member though

9. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    NO not really, Costa rica played a hell of a game . to many dumb fouls.

MEXICO IS STILL PLAYING CRAPPY......

But hey i would like to remind you what a HOnduras fan said earlier in this thread...

Great teams find way to win ...

10. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Guadeloupe is the only team in the Gold Cup that knows how to play real futbol. I hope they go far, good luck to them.

11. epheifer

epheifer Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Minnesota
    If Guadeloupe were to win the Gold Cup, wouldn't there have to be another game between Mexico and the team that Guadeloupe would beat in the Final? I remember a past Gold Cup this same situation came up when Brazil advanced the Finals against Mexico after beating the U.S. in the semifinals. Since Brazil was ineligible to take the CONCACAF spot to the Confed Cup CONCACAF decided that Mexico and the U.S. would have to play another game for 2nd place if Mexcio lost. Luckily things didn't play out like this as Mexico won, but I see Guadeloupe winning the Gold Cup as the same situation. However, it wouldn't surpirse me to have CONCACAF be inconsistent in one of its decisions yet again. But just think of how much more money CONCACAF would be able to make if the U.S. lost to Guadeloupe in the finals and CONCACAF decided to have a Mexico versus U.S. game for a spot in Confed Cup. To CONCACAF, this would probably be just as good as seeing the teams play in the actual Gold Cup Final.

12. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada won the CONCACAF spot in the Confed Cup before the ball was kicked in the 2000 Gold Cup final.

Colombia was the other team in that final, so regardless of the outcome Canada were already considered the champions of the region.

Thankfully Canada won that match anyway and kept the Gold Cup in CONCACAF.

13. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    True, but that was because Colombia beat Peru in the semifinal, there was no Semi-Final CONCACAF loser in the "other" SF.

The case that epheifer is talking about is one like 2003 when the USA lost to Brazil in the semi-final and Brazil faced Mexico in the final. If Brazil were to win the final, then USA and Mexico would have had to play for the CONCACAF spot in the Confederation Cup.

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    That was a really dumb scenario, just CONCACAF being stupid. Besides there's no third place game like their was then. I've already read that the runner up would take Guadeloupe's spot, and it might even be in the tournament regulations (viewable at concacaf.com, I don't feel like checking now).

15. Ovechkin

Ovechkin New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    McLean, VA
    There's a big difference between what would have happened if Brazil had won the 2003 Gold Cup and what would happen if Guadeloupe wins the 2007 edition.

Brazil isn't a member of Concacaf, Guadeloupe is. Ineligible to play in tournaments outside Concacaf, yes, but a Concacaf member nonetheless.

That means Guadeloupe would be the Concacaf champion. Brazil, on the other hand, wouldn't have been Concacaf champion, just Gold Cup champion. But since Guadeloupe, despite being the Concacaf champion, would be ineligible to play in the Confederations Cup, Concacaf should then pick the 2nd best ranked Concacaf team in the tournament, which in this case would be the US or Canada. After all, in such a scenario, the winner of the US-Canada semifinal would have advanced one round further than Mexico, both teams having played all their games against Concacaf teams.

16. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Well I looked more into Guadeloupe. It appears that the only player on their team who has also played for France is Jocelyn Angloma. So I guess being a FIFA member wouldn't change that much. They just wouldn't be able to get the occassional retired player like they do now.

I still would like to see them wait about 10 years to join FIFA... just to see what Henry does in the Gold Cup... but maybe if they're doing this good they should think about doing it. Tahiti has the same status as Guadeloupe in regards to France but they are a FIFA member, so Guadeloupe could be too if they really wanted. I think this squad (even without Angloma) could mix it up in qualifying. I'm not saying they'll be going to South Africa, but they'll make it interesting for whoever they get drawn against. Imagine if they get Honduras in the 2nd round. :D

For comparison though, Surinam *is* a FIFA member. They could have players like Seedorf, Davids, and Kluivert play for them if they were like Guadeloupe, but can't because of their FIFA status.

*Zimbabwe_International: Henry is from Guadeloupe, not Martinique.

Does this champion even qualify to the CONFED Cup? That's not until 2009 and there is another Gold Cup in 2009, so wouldn't the '09 champion qualify instead of the '07 one?

17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Guadeloupe wins it all, FIFA should change the regulations to allow Guadeloupe to be an official FIFA side, and therefore play in South Africa in 2009. Might rile up the Canadian and USA fans, but always think of Mick Jagger and that Rolling Stones song...

Course it's all moot if Mexico or the USA-CAN winner beats them.

18. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The 2009 Gold Cup and the Confed Cup will take place around the same time (June 2009) so it is unlikely that the 2009 GC winner would qualify for the 2009 CC.

19. Deathdealer

Deathdealer New Member

May 16, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Disapointing, yet not totally suprising. Its hard to play these carribean teams we never seen. I still think Honduras is a better squad and they were suprised in a very limited amount time. Congrat to Guadalupe they deserved it becuase they were able to capitalize there chances and thats what this sport is all about, we attacked more, shot more even had less fouls yet Guadalupe had two chances and scored twice, very effective, we messed up and should of been more on target. I expect in a rematch sometime in the future Honduras will win and correct mistakes.
    When Honduras is put as a favorite they always fall apart, they def need someone to help them with that and never look at themselves as favorites, thats their Achilles Tendon

Its over, but my Real Madrid es CAMPEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh on a foot note Mexico played terrible, Costa Rica wasn't Great but deserved better and the Referee for that game should never be anywhere close to soccer field, SOB should be banned, although ticos might want to shoot him and I wouldn't blame them because the lost hurt me too.

USA will take this with no problem if they get passed Canada which I'm sure they can. And Mexico could fall on its face too if they keep playing the way they did and Guadalupe doesn't fall apart.

20. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Guadeloupe becoming a full FIFA member would be like Hawaii or California becoming one too. It's wrong, and it's bad enough that we have teams like Macao as it is. That's a horrible idea.

21. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Let me start by saying that I'm far from being surprised by the result. Honduras has never achieved anything, they're overated. When it comes to Guadeloupe becoming a Fifa member, I think it's a good idea. It's not the same as Hawaii or California. I'ts actually more like Puerto Rico. Guadeloupe has a distinct culture ( similar to the one from Haiti) compared to France. They seem to have a good player pool and in a few years could probably cause alot of damage in the Concacaf.

22. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    Why? Obviously, Guadeloupe are no pushovers.

23. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Haiti is overrated , besides the only positive out of all of this is that we beat Mexico... when was the last time Haiti beat them?

24. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    Haiti beat Guadeloupe almost all the time and when we draw with them last week everybody was laughing.

Guess what! Now they cut Honduras as.s..

Haiti nailed Honduras at home 3-1 and i expect we to do it again next year for the WC eliminatory games

Finally, we were in the real group of death with Costa Rica, Guadeloupe and Canada(all quarter finalists)

25. papito

papito New Member

May 1, 2006
    Honduras is overrated not Haiti.