Match #21 - Honduras vs Guadeloupe (pbp/discussion) [R]

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by scaryice, Jun 14, 2007.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Quarterfinal #3:

3 pm (ET) Sunday at Reliant Stadium in Houston, TX; TV = Univision.

2. bingitz

bingitz New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    San Fran/Cleveland
    Looking at the way Honduras played today and against Mexico and looking at Guadeloupe, it is hard to look past Honduras for this one. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

3. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Honduras vs. Mexico rematch in the semis will be intense!

4. Texian Soldier

Texian Soldier New Member

May 3, 2007
    Honduras should coast. Honduras 3 Guadeloupe 0. Honduras is too deep for this team and is hitting on all cylinders.

5. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    very intense. well may b not too intense but pretty intense.

6. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    i think this is cuba part 2. honduras 5 Guadeloupe 0

7. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Honduras are clear favorites and simply a better team. However, Honduras has historically struggled against some Caribbean teams (most recently losing at home to Haiti and at times to Jamaica). Therefore, Honduras should not get ahead of themselves.

Honduras needs to keep Guadeloupe's speed from disorganizing their defense. If they do this, Honduras should win easily. Also, the Honduran keeper has not been tested much in the last 2 games...Guadeloupe's long range shooting ability could test his ability to hold on to the ball. Also, Honduras has been fouling a lot this tournament...they need to avoid card trouble.

I suspect it will be 3-1 Honduras wins.

8. latinpapiincharlotte

Apr 24, 2006

Very true your are right on with your comments, for whatever reason Honduras will play well against USA or MEXICO and then lay an egg against JAMAICA ot TT&TOBAGO. I remember when we beat USA in 2001 3-2 and played a hell of a game, then we went to HONDURAS that following week and barely beat JAMAICA 1-0 , so this is a trap game.

With AMADO, RAMBO, PAVON, COSTLY, ALVAREZ and CABALLERO I just think thats to much talent to loose. I think it will be close though 2-1

I think HONDURAS could be the dark horse to creep into the finals if HUGO doesnt get his crap together

9. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What rematch against Mexico? Everyone knows we're playing Costa Rica.

10. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    thats true! Azuran is the man!

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The times and tv coverage of this game has been switched with the Mexico game. No shock there, as of course they want the Mexico game on Univision.

12. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  13. Texian Soldier

Texian Soldier New Member

May 3, 2007

It looks like that situation hasn't been resolved yet. It looks like the federation may cut a deal to let him miss a some official FIFA dates in the future if his Chineese side lets him stay for the rest of the tournament.

14. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I rather play CR in the semis only because they will be much easier to beat then mexico especially in chicago where half the city is mexican and then again playing CR in the gold cup is always exciting. Well im gonna buy my ticket to the semis :D :D

15. elprincipe

elprincipe Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, the way Mexico have played and the way Honduras have played, Honduras are firm favorites. Unless Mexico get their act together I'd be more concerned about Costa Rica!

16. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras is clearly the favorite on the bottom half of the bracket. They should easily handle Guadeloupe, then the CRC-MEX winner will be more difficult, but I still like Honduras.

17. Toronto Papi

Toronto Papi New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    That rematch would be dirty (in a good way) as hell. That would probably be the highlight of the Gold Cup.

18. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    yea, but we already beat them. We need some new contenders CR come on up.

19. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    I really think people are making a huge deal about Honduras.
    here is why
    Who have they beaten?

Lost to Panama ( a crappy team)
    Beat mexico, ( worst mexico team in a long time) plus were losing to them until the red card to blanco
    beat Cuba ( wow Cuba, have you seen their defense!!)

So we could give them credit about mexico, since they are mexico, but mexico made horrible mistakes, it wasent like they beat a great mexico.

I think they are going to to struggle with Guadalupe and lose to the winner of the mexico, costa rica game.

20. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Honduras is dominating. Everyone knows(or should know) you can't play Honduras with a defensive mind. You just can't stop the firepower and speed they have up front. Hugo obviously didn't know that, so he lost. Guimaraes knew this and he won.

Also, we lost to Panama with 10 men too and we completely dominate them unlike Mexico who just decided to go into their shell.

Also, this team is playing just like their 2001 counterparts and let me remind that they're doing all this without David Suazo.

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I agree with everything, except for what is in bold. Even though the Panama-Honduras was very evenly contested (and fun), Panama did have a slight edge. I do agree that you guys--Honduras--dominated both Cuba and Mexico.

Metro

22. Against Panama the Catracho team played with 10 players for most of the game, and still dominated and created more opportunities than the canaleros.

I still think, Honduras will defeat Guadeloupe and face Mexico in the semifinals.

23. Toronto Papi

Toronto Papi New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd be great if Honduras beat them again because I'm not so sure if they can. Two straight wins against Mexico on neutral grounds is a major accomplishment.

24. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    that would b amazing to see

25. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    ok ok cuba has a better team then honduras and even though they lost cuba is still a good team and since ur mexican u mexicans will say "oh that was the mexican team " WTF u guy know honduras is beatable but not easy so u place good players out there and stil lost so shut the fcuk up:mad: