Match 16: ENG-WAL - BRYCH (GER)

Discussion in 'Euro 2016: Refereeing' started by London_ref, Jun 16, 2016.

1. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thursday June 16, 2016 - 09:00 (EDT) - Lens
    Referee: Felix Brych (GER)

Assistant Referee 1: Mark Borsch (GER)
    Assistant Referee 2: Stefan Lupp (GER)
    Additional Assistant Referee 1: Bastian Dankert (GER)
    Additional Assistant Referee 2: Marco Fritz (GER)
    4th Official: Matej Jug (SVN)
    UEFA Referee Observer: Jaap Uilenberg (NED)
    UEFA Delegate: Adonis Procopiou (CYP)

This thread is for all pre-match, play-by-play and post-match discussion and analysis of the refereeing team. Per the forum guidelines (http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/welcome-forum-guidelines.2032253), this thread will be heavily moderated. For more general or partisan discussions of the match, please go to the general Group thread or the individual team forums.

2. BTtotheP

BTtotheP Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    56' I was about to post OMG, but the WAL header reset offside on the ENG goal. Fine job Mr. Lupp and the AAR on his side,

Pierre Head and Thezzaruz repped this.
  3. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Excellent no-offside decision on Vardy's goal at 56', good teamwork between Brych, Stefan Lupp, and Marco Fritz to communicate that while Vardy was offside, the ball was last deliberately played by a defender.

4. rippingood

rippingood Member

Feb 13, 2004
    LosAngeles
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Sturridge played the ball, Vardy was in an onside position. Therefore, whether the ball was deliberately played by the defender or not, there was no 'offside ' to be reset. Still, a good call by the referee team and a very good video to teach OS.

beamish repped this.
  5. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I am confused. I always thought that there is a reset only when the defending team has control of the ball. I don't think that Williams had control of the ball. Where did I go wrong? Had the ball defected off Williams, instead of him desperately heading the ball, would there be a rest?

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC making a deliberate play like that counts as control

7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    This is a difficult area of interpretation, a play versus a deflection. Some are quite clear, some are not. This was clearly a play by Williams. It is not control in the usual sense.
    Referee instruction clinics at a high level discuss and evaluate this in great detail, with many video examples. When the class is asked to vote some of the incidents end up with a 50/50 split in opinion. When a quiz is given the average correct score is not high, showing a lot of confusion and disagreement with the official answers. And this is very experienced referees and instructors.

PH

8. rippingood

rippingood Member

Feb 13, 2004
    LosAngeles
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, it didn't matter; there was nothing to reset. Vardy was in an onside position when Sturridge played the ball so only if an England teammate touched the ball would the question of offside even come up.

Thezzaruz repped this.