Match 11: BRA-HAI - GEIGER (USA)

Discussion in 'Copa América 2016 - Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 8, 2016.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday June 8, 2016 - 7:30 (EDT) - Orlando
    Referee: Mark Geiger

Assistant Referee 1: Joe Fletcher (CAN)
    Assistant Referee 2: CJ Morgante
    Fourth Official: Roberto Garcia (MEX)

This thread is for all pre-match, play-by-play and post-match discussion and analysis of the refereeing team. Per the forum guidelines (http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/welcome-forum-guidelines.2032251/), this thread will be heavily moderated. For more general or partisan discussions of the match, please go to the general Group thread or the individual team forums.

2. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A good game for Geiger. Not demanding at all.

Maybe the foul on the 2nd minute should/could be a yellow, but aside from that, was really good and easy.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought the Casemiro yellow was a soft one to give, but I have no real complaints.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see much of the game but I did see this play. I was wondering if he got him for the tactical nature of the foul or for simulation after the fact. I also wonder if the Haitian player actually did lash out and catch Casemiro after the foul. It was a very strange play. But if that was the most controversial incident in the match (and judging by the almost complete lack of discussion on a match by an American referee, it seems like it was), Geiger must have done pretty well. Mission accomplished for him and his crew. Here's hoping he can fit into at least another match going forward.